October 09, 2023
2769 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2921 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Return of the F:AT Music Thread

More
08 Mar 2009 20:56 #23292 by Shellhead
BloodyJack wrote:

Loving the Spectres... 50's Surfer Horror Rock... "Die You Zombie Bastards", and "Hot Rod Hearse" are my favs...

You should check out Destroy the Warming Sun, by the Amino Acids (2004). Very hard surf rock instrumentals, practically surf-metal. They mix in brief fake voice samples of non-existent '50s ufo movies, but otherwise the music is very intense and very good. My favorite song is Face the Future, a brooding and dramatic piece that has a very cinematic quality. I've heard that the Amino Acids have opened for Dick Dale, which would make for an interesting contrast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2009 01:04 #23309 by BloodyJack
Shellhead wrote:

BloodyJack wrote:

Loving the Spectres... 50's Surfer Horror Rock... "Die You Zombie Bastards", and "Hot Rod Hearse" are my favs...

You should check out Destroy the Warming Sun, by the Amino Acids (2004). Very hard surf rock instrumentals, practically surf-metal. They mix in brief fake voice samples of non-existent '50s ufo movies, but otherwise the music is very intense and very good. My favorite song is Face the Future, a brooding and dramatic piece that has a very cinematic quality. I've heard that the Amino Acids have opened for Dick Dale, which would make for an interesting contrast.

Dude I just checked them out on ITunes, and they are friggin awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't find Face the Future but I found Fear the Future... Is that the one?

More
09 Mar 2009 09:33 #23322 by Shellhead
BloodyJack wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

BloodyJack wrote:

Dude I just checked them out on ITunes, and they are friggin awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't find Face the Future but I found Fear the Future... Is that the one?

Fear the Future... that's it. My memory slightly misfired.

More
09 Mar 2009 13:57 - 09 Mar 2009 14:14 #23345 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

I actually prefer FUNHOUSE, believe it or not. I think the combination of a higher aggression level with slighly sloppier playing make it quite a testament to the awesome power of rock n' roll. "Down on the Street", "TV Eye", "Loose", "1970". There's your rock n' roll bible right there in those 4 songs alone.

Yeah, I also only think that RAW POWER is a itty bitty little tiny notch better than FUNHOUSE. I just like Williamson's guitar playing better. If I had to choose the TOP 5 Stooges songs (from the three original albums), it'd be something like this:

- Loose
- Search & Destroy
- No Fun
- Gimme Danger
- Down on the Street

METALLIC KO is the one most folks like.

But it only has six "new" songs on it. From the link I provided I looking to buy YEAR OF THE IGUANA, OPEN UP AND BLEED, WILD LOVE and KILL CITY ... or some other albums ... it's hard to cut a way through this bootleg jungle without having to buy everything.

But KILL CITY...I remember reading a review of it the first time it got issued on CD sometime in the early '90s and the reviewer called it the worst record he had ever heard. He said it was a complete disaster, that it was the worst thing Iggy had ever done. The fact is, it's incredible. It is kind of a trainwreck of a record that was supposed to be the follow-up to RAW POWER before the Stooges disintegrated. James Williamson has never been better than on that record, and there's some amazing tracks that have this total scum-rock, death-trip, down-and-out heroin-influenced sound that is just completely unrepeatable today. "Kill City" is one of my favorite Iggy tracks, but you also get "Joanna", "Tight Pants", "Consolation Prize"...good stuff. There's a Bomp reissue that packages it as a double with "I Got A Right" that's well worth pursuing.

Yes, the recording quality isn't good and the album is said to have been made when Iggy was on rehab. But the "music" is just awesome. My favorite piece on it is BEYOND THE LAW.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2009 14:14 by Schweig!.

More
15 Mar 2009 09:05 #23526 by Citadel
This is the first new song to cause me to stop and listen in a while. The album doesn't seem to be out yet. I hope it's good. It has been a long time since there has been a descent hip hop album. So much hip hop just comes across as a weak parody of itself.

More
17 Apr 2009 14:50 #26197 by Hex Sinister
I'm listening to Girls at our Best right now and it's really good. I can't believe I never heard them until now. I'd always liked the Wedding Present's cover of Going Nowhere Fast so it's wierd. This particular song reminds me of Talulah Gosh who I really liked.

Actually, most of the Wedding Present covers are really excellent. If some people told me there was a band that covered the theme song from Cheers and it was awesome I would think they were complete idiots. But it's true, it is surprisingly good!

More
19 Apr 2009 16:08 #26340 by moss_icon
ah, the mighty wedding present.

More
20 Apr 2009 02:35 #26352 by Hex Sinister
moss_icon wrote:

ah, the mighty wedding present.

Yeah, they were so awesome in their prime. It's a such a shame he fired the "real" band. Keith Gregory was second only to Steve Hanley (The Fall) in my book. And the drummer, Simon Smith, was just amazing. The new Weddoes are/were not so great, couldn't play the fast shit live. It's just not the same. I would have killed to see the recent George Best tour though. Still, they had a good run and remain in my top 3 bands.

Here's a decent live clip of one of my favorite songs- http://www.severien.nl/chester/wp/videos/08_granadaland.wmv

I wish I could find this live internet chat thing that I was in where you could ask Gedge questions. It was pretty cool. I got to ask two questions and of course I wanted to know what his favorite Fall LP was. His answer: Hex Enduction Hour. It wasn't really a fair question but he didn't hesitate. My other question was about The Cat's Miaow, another band I really like, who did some weddoes covers. He replied he really liked them.

More
22 May 2009 15:36 - 22 May 2009 15:40 #30289 by Thaadd
I am lucky enough to have a 'nerd cave' co-habitant here at work who does not seem to mind me playing music with no headphones. Once in a while I get commentary - this was surprising to me though.

Playing Devotchka (in a moody ballad sort of mood) and he was like 'Oh, this is the song from the Gears of War 2 advertisement!'

My first (old punk rocker) instinct was to cringe because music in commercials can be very sad exploit, Devotchka is a small time band, in terms of general population who likes music that prominently often features accordions... and is not polka.

He links me the advertisement and I was.... really impressed. They took a sad song, which I was introduced to in a very sad movie (Everything is Illuminated) and used it to make a sad video promoting a shooting video game. Wtf. Also, holy crap, the graphics in these games are getting amazing. I don't like FPS, but the images are gorgeous. This is only a small section of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_ZjJgbDmc

For the full song in the movie that really dragged Devotchka out into the large public, check out this link - however it contains movie spoilers. The movie is Everything is Illuminiated, and it features Elija Wood doing a pretty heavy role - it's great, it's a bit upsetting, it's gorgeous, it's small enough budget you can see the film crew in the rear view mirror of a interior car scene at one point.
I suggest clicking on the link and turning off the monitor or just closing your eyes....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnkQOexUSo

Oh, and the entire soundtrack to Everthing is Illuminated is great. Czech, Russian, English, and instrumental music from some amazing bands.
Last edit: 22 May 2009 15:40 by Thaadd.

More
22 May 2009 17:46 #30301 by billyz
Okay, look, I've got something I got to admit and you faceless lot will do as confessors.

I've been on a huge pop punk/ mainstream hardcore/ whatever the fuck you call music that'll get airtime on "alternative" radio stations kick lately. I've been literally eatling that shit up.

I think that stuff is what spring sounds like. Weezer, Billy Talent, Silverspun Pickups, Rise Against, even fucking Paramour.

What? It makes me feel light and giddy withiout having to smoke it.

More
22 May 2009 20:20 #30315 by jur
poor sod. Weezer, Billy Talent. Your soooo 17!

And this while you could have been listening to the etherial new Patrick Watson, floating by. Or the unnerving new album of the Veils, or Johan's edgy new issue.

Then again, I also listen to Ryan Adams' Rock n Roll. It does sound very much like American wankerrock and yet, it doesn't send me running for the toilet. Strange

More
22 May 2009 20:36 #30318 by billyz
Jur wrote:

poor sod. Weezer, Billy Talent. Your soooo 17!

And this while you could have been listening to the etherial new Patrick Watson, floating by. Or the unnerving new album of the Veils, or Johan's edgy new issue.

Then again, I also listen to Ryan Adams' Rock n Roll. It does sound very much like American wankerrock and yet, it doesn't send me running for the toilet. Strange

I'm telling you man, it's the fucking magic of spring! All I know is that one minute it's all I can do to not elbow drop people that smile at me, and the next I'm horny as hell and I start to notice shit like just how pretty the tulips are in my front yard.

And Billy Talent, like, rox, so fuk u.

More
22 May 2009 20:45 - 22 May 2009 20:46 #30323 by jur
billyz wrote:

I'm telling you man, it's the fucking magic of spring! All I know is that one minute it's all I can do to not elbow drop people that smile at me, and the next I'm horny as hell and I start to notice shit like just how pretty the tulips are in my front yard.

And Billy Talent, like, rox, so fuk u.

Thank you. The pleasure is all mine.

And don't tell me about spring! Like I've just awakened from winter sleep and I need to mate and procreate maintenant!
Last edit: 22 May 2009 20:46 by jur.

More
22 May 2009 21:14 #30331 by MattFantastic
Thaadd wrote:

He links me the advertisement and I was.... really impressed. They took a sad song, which I was introduced to in a very sad movie (Everything is Illuminated) and used it to make a sad video promoting a shooting video game. Wtf. Also, holy crap, the graphics in these games are getting amazing. I don't like FPS, but the images are gorgeous. This is only a small section of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_ZjJgbDmc

That was really awesome. Thanks for that.

What record(s) should I head for first?

More
23 May 2009 00:27 #30359 by beuks33
Shellhead wrote:

BloodyJack wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

BloodyJack wrote:

Fear the Future... that's it. My memory slightly misfired.

Surfer rock is the SHIT! I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Servotron. Just about the most AT music ever made. It's catchy fast surfer rock tunes about robots taking over the world. Referencing everything from Asimov's three laws, to that fucking Small Wonder show, definitely worth a listen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds