October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2728 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS

More
18 Mar 2009 17:55 #23839 by Michael Barnes
I think that really sums it up about the DS, Jeb. It's painless. There's no hassle whatsoever. No controllers, no TV involved, you can do it while an SO is watching a show or while you've got a movie on, you can play it pretty much anywhere, and it's totally self-contained except for popping the stylus out. I can open it up when I'm waiting for a response from a co-worker, play something for 10 minutes, and then put it down.

See, I had never even touched a DS before LJ1983 sent me his. I had seen the store displays, screenshots, commercials, etc. but I'd never actually played anything on one. When I got it, it totally blew me away, even what, 4 years into its lifecycle? When I got DAWN OF SORROW I couldn't believe that I was playing a full featured, complete CASTLEVANIA game that in no way felt like a crippled handheld version in any way.

I've got Branham's copy of RETRO GAME CHALLENGE, that's another one worth checking out...I like the concept and execution better than the actual games, but what's there is so ridiculously dead on in terms of depicting the development of games in the 1980s. It's a brilliant idea that just wouldn't work on a "full size" console.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2009 18:27 #23841 by jeb
I'm on the XSEED mailing list (creators of RETRO GAME CHALLENGE). They made KORG DS-10 and hence can do no wrong in mine eyes.

Look at what this guy does with 4 of them hooked together...

www.youtube.com/v/g1RdcoYqAa0

More
18 Mar 2009 18:32 #23842 by benny lava
If you love Advance Wars, it would be well worth your time to track down one or both of the GBA Fire Emblem games. They are turn-based strategy fantasy warfare games and they kick major ass. I have the new DS-only version, but haven't played it yet.

Everything that's been talked about in this thread is right on the money - great system, great games. A few other cool titles I don't think I've seen mentioned here:

NINJA TOWN
PICROSS
N+
SPACE INVADERS EXTREME
PUZZLE QUEST (the original)

More
18 Mar 2009 18:38 #23843 by Jason Lutes
China Town has been sweeping the reviews. I haven't dusted off my DS in a while, but it looks like I'm going to have to pick that one up. Also highly recommended: Panzer Tactics DS , and as previously mentioned, the awesome and unforgiving Fire Emblem games (IRON MEN only need apply).

More
18 Mar 2009 18:43 #23844 by jeb
I loves me some "Match 3", so PUZZLE QUEST: CHALLENGE OF THE WARLORDS is a no brainer here. The only fault I found with it was the stiff challenges you face up to the two-headed ogre guy, and then whammo! Smoooooooth sailing. I had fights near the end where the AI didn't even get a turn.

My co-worker is obsessed with SPACE INVADERS EXTREME. It looks pretty awesome. I played it for about a minute and had some crazy lightning gun nuking aliens by the end of it.

More
18 Mar 2009 18:45 #23845 by metalface13
Oh man, Escape Velocity was an awesomely epic sandbox space game.

Any Fire Emblem is worth a look. The new DS remake has me intrigued too. I love turn based strategy games. I've got my eye on Disgaea too.

This thread is really making me want to finally finish off Phantom Hourglass and get to work on Crystal Chronicles, which I haven't touched since last year when my brother and I were playing multi-player.

More
18 Mar 2009 20:13 #23856 by vialiy
I initially bought a DS to have something to do while riding the stationary bike at the gym. I never thought the games would be that much amazing! It's been years since I've been totally hooked on video games like I am now! I play Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and Disgaea. I agree with Michael, the fact that the console is self-contained and very easy to use is a big plus. Recently I bought EndWar and FF Tactics A2, they look awesome too.

More
18 Mar 2009 22:28 #23865 by metalface13
I haven't heard of EndWar. What's that?

The DS gives me hope for the Wii. I like my Wii, but it's much more situated for party entertaining. Don't get me wrong, playing Boom Blox, Wii Sports, WarioWare and Mario Party are fun and all, but games like Twilight Princess and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn are few and far between.

Rune Factory: Frontier comes out for Wii this week. The previous two entries have been for DS and it's a fantasy Harvest Moon with dungeon crawling. Odd sounding I know. But I've heard the DS games were good and the Wii game is getting favorable reviews. I'll probably pick it up when I finish Deadly Creatures.

More
18 Mar 2009 22:59 #23868 by MattFantastic
LordVonTush wrote:

By the way, I've just seen the best Genre for a game.
Game: Dokapon Journey
Genre: Friendship Destroying RPG

Dokapon Kingdom for Wii is pretty amazing. It's like a roll and move boardgame crossed with an RPG. And it does have incredibly dickish moves built in as an integral part.

Also, while I am all about the DS, I think the 360 is also really popping out some quality titles. Left 4 Dead alone is worth the price of admission (if you've got 3 friends to play with that is).

We just got my father-in-law a DS and Prof Layton for his birthday, he loves it.

EVERY PUZZLE HAS AN ANSWER!

More
18 Mar 2009 23:09 #23869 by vialiy
EndWar is a Clancy title. Apparently it's a RTS on PC and other consoles, but a turn-based wargame on DS. It's much like Advance Wars but with hexes, less engaging IMO and with a more "serious" theme.

More
18 Mar 2009 23:19 #23870 by benny lava
Sorry - I loves me some DS - I've got a few more recommendations:

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
CLUBHOUSE GAMES
any of the ACE ATTORNEY series (start with PHOENIX WRIGHT and work your way to APOLLO JUSTICE)

More
19 Mar 2009 12:07 #23897 by Mr. Bistro
I'm enjoying GTA: Chinatown as well. Mad World too (should never have bought them at the same time - now I don't know what to choose for my violence fix).

I think Picross may be my favorite DS game yet, and I hate puzzle games. Starfox Command is also pretty good.

More
19 Mar 2009 12:22 #23898 by jeb
vialiy wrote:

EndWar is a Clancy title. Apparently it's a RTS on PC and other consoles, but a turn-based wargame on DS. It's much like Advance Wars but with hexes, less engaging IMO and with a more "serious" theme.

That title is in the garbage juice area at my local Target. <$10, I didn't even look at it.

More
19 Mar 2009 13:45 #23900 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I saw it at Target too but I didn't think much about it.

So what's the best turn-based game for the DS? I have DUAL STRIKE, what's next? I was looking at DISGAEA but it may be too RPGish for me...AGE OF EMPIRES: MYTHOLOGIES actually looked pretty good. And there's also DAYS OF RUIN...

More
19 Mar 2009 15:10 #23905 by Octavian
Happy to see someone else enjoying the Ace Attorney series. Not very heavy on actual game play - it's more of an interactive story. But the writing is phenomenal.

If you dig the Ace Attorney games I can also strongly recommend Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It's another interactive novel type game. Great for long bus/plane commutes.

Infinite Space just went on my watch list.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds