October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2737 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS

More
19 Mar 2009 15:29 #23909 by VonTush
Michael Barnes wrote:

So what's the best turn-based game for the DS?

Someone mentioned it already, but Panzer Tactics DS I thought was very good.

Rondo of Swords introduces an interesting element to the TBS where your characters gain combat bonuses when they move thru other memebers of the group and each person provides different bonuses.

I'd also second Hotel Dusk: Rooom 215. I've played the Phoenix Wright games and found them tiresome after a while.

LvT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2009 15:33 #23910 by Mr. Bistro
Front Mission is great. It's a re-release with a second campaign added to it. It's turn-based mech-fighting goodness complete wiht RPG elements and lots of mech customization. Solid buy.

More
19 Mar 2009 18:41 #23926 by vialiy
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, I saw it at Target too but I didn't think much about it.

So what's the best turn-based game for the DS? I have DUAL STRIKE, what's next? I was looking at DISGAEA but it may be too RPGish for me...AGE OF EMPIRES: MYTHOLOGIES actually looked pretty good. And there's also DAYS OF RUIN...

Disgaea is straight-up bashing, much like Diablo but turn-based. You gear up at the shop then you teleport to an arena full of baddies. No world map or quests.

More
19 Mar 2009 19:23 - 19 Mar 2009 19:24 #23931 by jeb
vialiy wrote:

Disgaea is straight-up bashing, much like Diablo but turn-based. You gear up at the shop then you teleport to an arena full of baddies. No world map or quests.

Except for the jRPG cut-scenes and requests from the Court for power-ups, and party management, and quests. You've gotta go to the Item World and upgrade your sword before progressing for example. It's a jRPG with a cool turn-based battle system--but it's a jRPG to be sure. That said, I really like the combat, and the story is pleasant enough. But if you are RPG-averse you should avoid.

There were some ADVANCE WARS games for the GBA that will do just fine in the DS. The original and AW: BLACK HOLE RISING.

MARVEL TRADING CARD GAME is really good for an oocasional scratch-that-CCG itch. I got mine new off eBay for $9.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2009 19:24 by jeb.

More
19 Mar 2009 19:48 #23932 by ironcates
Michael Barnes wrote:

So what's the best turn-based game for the DS? I have DUAL STRIKE, what's next? I was looking at DISGAEA but it may be too RPGish for me...AGE OF EMPIRES: MYTHOLOGIES actually looked pretty good. And there's also DAYS OF RUIN...

BATTLES OF THE PRINCE OF PERSIA is a pretty cool turn based game to check out.

Also, I just got PUZZLE QUEST: CHALLENGE OF THE WARLORDS the first one (I heard the new one has annoying load times but I may still try it after I'm done with the first). Man, is it addicting!? The battles are basically Bejeweled but there's an RPG element that works so well with it. You're matching the orbs to cast spells, collect coins, XP, or Skulls to damage your opponent.

More
19 Mar 2009 19:59 #23933 by benny lava
Michael Barnes wrote:

DUAL STRIKE is the best, hands down. As previously mentioned, the GBA AW games are great, as are all the FIRE EMBLEM games. I didn't care for the latest DS AW game (DAYS OF RUIN) nearly as much as the others, but it was still pretty good. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS has a great rep, but I had a hard time getting into it.

More
19 Mar 2009 21:49 #23940 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

I haven't played the new DS Fire Emblem, but I have played through the GBA games and the Wii game. It's a great series, but brutal. Once a character dies they are dead for good. So you'll often have to restart levels over and over in order to make sure everyone survives. Sometimes though, you just gotta let someone go or lose your sanity. It's got a good rock-paper-scissors mechanic too. Swords are better against axes, axes against spears and spears against sword. Same for the magic system too.

More
20 Mar 2009 00:31 #23949 by metalface13
Oh, this game Knights in the Nightmare looks totally wild and unique.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/964/964695p1.html

More
20 Mar 2009 01:49 - 20 Mar 2009 01:50 #23952 by bfkiller
metalface13 wrote:

I haven't played the new DS Fire Emblem, but I have played through the GBA games and the Wii game. It's a great series, but brutal. Once a character dies they are dead for good. So you'll often have to restart levels over and over in order to make sure everyone survives.

Naw, you have to just stomach the losses. That's where the fun of the game lies. Makes the game a lot more tense when your best fighters are gone and you're left with a rag-tag bunch of losers and healers.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 01:50 by bfkiller.

More
20 Mar 2009 10:07 - 20 Mar 2009 10:09 #23960 by jeb
metalface13 wrote:

WORD. Saw a right up at the grocery store in NINTENDO POWER magazine--remember that thing? I signed up for the Goozex trading service , too. I'll report on that in a few weeks depending on how things work out.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 10:09 by jeb.

More
20 Mar 2009 10:39 #23965 by metalface13
jeb wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

WORD. Saw a right up at the grocery store in NINTENDO POWER magazine--remember that thing? I signed up for the Goozex trading service , too. I'll report on that in a few weeks depending on how things work out.

What's the skinny on that Goozex site?

More
20 Mar 2009 11:02 #23970 by jeb
metalface13 wrote:

jeb wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

What's the skinny on that Goozex site?

Games are "pointed", so a widely available title like WiiPlay is pointed at about 100pts. Something in high demand like Mad World is, say, 900 pts. You enter in a list of games you are willing to ship out and a list you want. At first you will ship out--you have no points yet. I've sent off two games, and I'm waiting to hear back. shit kids went nuclear, write more later.

More
20 Mar 2009 11:38 #23975 by Jason Lutes
metalface13 wrote:

I haven't played the new DS Fire Emblem, but I have played through the GBA games and the Wii game. It's a great series, but brutal. Once a character dies they are dead for good. So you'll often have to restart levels over and over in order to make sure everyone survives.

thebarefoot killer wrote:

Naw, you have to just stomach the losses. That's where the fun of the game lies. Makes the game a lot more tense when your best fighters are gone and you're left with a rag-tag bunch of losers and healers.

What barefoot killer said. Reload from saves? What kind of self-respecting FATtie does that? IRON MAN ALL THE WAY!

More
20 Mar 2009 11:44 #23977 by Michael Barnes
Healers? What healers? Be a REAL iron man and fronline those bastards!

I've got the GBA version and the Wii one...they are very well done, but the anime/emo crap gets old. They are hard as balls, that's for sure, and I really like that characters can actually die and be out of the game. That makes the stakes super high on some of the fights.

More
20 Mar 2009 13:23 #23990 by jeb
Following up from above... Goozex is a facilitated video game exchange. The site maintains a db of games that you attest to owning, wanting, and willing to trade. The games are "pointed", so a widely available title like WiiPlay is pointed at about 100 pts. Something in high demand like Mad World is, say, 900 pts. You enter in a list of games you are willing to ship out and a list you want. At first you will ship out--you have no points yet. I've sent off two games, and I'm waiting to hear back.

Assuming they get there and folks admit they got them, I'll get my points. With those points I can "order" games on my Want list, assuming I have the points and assuming there aren't a million other folks in front of me wanting that game--queues are maintained to track demand, and you know where you stand.

Again, I'll do a full blown blog entry once I get through the whole cycle and let you folks know.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds