October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

GTA: Chinatown Wars for the DS

More
20 Mar 2009 14:02 #23993 by metalface13
And what happens if the people say they never got them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2009 14:03 #23994 by metalface13
Jason Lutes wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

I haven't played the new DS Fire Emblem, but I have played through the GBA games and the Wii game. It's a great series, but brutal. Once a character dies they are dead for good. So you'll often have to restart levels over and over in order to make sure everyone survives.

thebarefoot killer wrote:

Naw, you have to just stomach the losses. That's where the fun of the game lies. Makes the game a lot more tense when your best fighters are gone and you're left with a rag-tag bunch of losers and healers.

What barefoot killer said. Reload from saves? What kind of self-respecting FATtie does that? IRON MAN ALL THE WAY!

Those are good soldiers! They've served their country/faction/tribe/mercenary group with unwavering loyalty, except the ones that switch sides to join you. I never leave a man/woman/beast person/pegasus knight behind!

More
20 Mar 2009 14:06 #23995 by jeb
Beats me. I shipped with delivery conf, so I'm sure there a resolution. Goozex has hooks that let you automatically print postage labels--it's really very convenient. There's even an envelope template for tape-and-mailing just CD media.

More
23 Mar 2009 12:10 #24152 by Almalik
Playing Hatsworth now, and it's ok. I'm only 40% done (2 out of 5 areas finished) so its too early to give it any kind of a rating, but so far its a pretty standard platformer merged to a pretty standard puzzle game, with a kind-of clever theme. Granted I'm not a huge platformer fan, but I'm not sure its living up to the hype -maybe the later parts of the game are much more interesting?

Really looking forward to Suikoden, and might have to try Chinatown as well. I was going to give it a miss for pretty much the same reasons Barnes mentioned in his initial post.

More
23 Mar 2009 12:30 #24158 by Michael Barnes
I was curious about HATSWORTH...I like the concept a lot, I'm not huge "match 3" fan unless there's something more to it like with PUZZLE QUEST. I do love platform games though.

I had to put GTA down for a while. 12 hours in like 3 days.

Now I'm on to CHRONO TRIGGER...I never played it back in the day, so far it's great.

More
23 Mar 2009 13:21 #24166 by Ken B.
I'm dumping some board games that I'm pretty "meh" about and getting for the DS:

1. Disgaea
2. Chrono Trigger + Limited Edition Soundtrack
3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
4. Final Fantasy III
5. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Thing about trading is I'm too nice for my own damn good. I could've gotten the guy to sweeten the trade but I was like, "enough's enough, take these games and GET ON WIF YAS."

In the end we each felt like we got a good deal. I'm getting shelf space and some kick ass DS games.

More
23 Mar 2009 14:02 #24172 by Almalik
Just picked up my DS at the beginning of Feb, and the first two games I played were FFIII and DoS.

I just finished Dawn of Sorrow a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed it, but I don't think I'm going to play it all the way through again as Belmont/Alucard/the chick to fight the alternate end boss.

The only issue I had with FFIII was that there were no save points at the end of the game, so for the last few hours I was just praying not to die and have to re-play a bunch. I ended up grinding a bit and over-leveling a little (maybe one or two levels higher than I needed to be) before the final boss fights because I was paranoid I was going to get stomped and have to waste a few hours replaying the final tower/dungeon area. The updated graphics are nice, but its definitely "on rails" like the rest of the series - oh look, now I have an air ship that can "jump" certain mountains, etc.

definitely grabbing the Fire Emblem game, as I enjoyed the GBA ones.

More
23 Mar 2009 14:10 #24175 by Almalik
For the Ace Attorney series, does it matter if you play them out of order at all, I've got a chance to borrow the new(est?) one, but will that spoil me for the older ones, or are they all pretty similar?

Dokapon Kingdom was fun on the PS2, definitely going to pick up Journey for the DS.

More
23 Mar 2009 15:42 #24194 by Octavian
Almalik wrote:

For the Ace Attorney series, does it matter if you play them out of order at all, I've got a chance to borrow the new(est?) one, but will that spoil me for the older ones, or are they all pretty similar?

It might spoil the results of some cases in earlier games, and there are definitely story elements that reference things that happened before, but nothing essential for understanding the game. The games all stand on their own.

More
01 Apr 2009 11:24 #24953 by generalpf
Ken B. wrote:

I'm dumping some board games that I'm pretty "meh" about and getting for the DS:
1. Disgaea
2. Chrono Trigger + Limited Edition Soundtrack
3. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
4. Final Fantasy III
5. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Thing about trading is I'm too nice for my own damn good. I could've gotten the guy to sweeten the trade but I was like, "enough's enough, take these games and GET ON WIF YAS."

In the end we each felt like we got a good deal. I'm getting shelf space and some kick ass DS games.

I would absolutely skip Final Fantasy III. It just doesn't hold up to the other games in the series. Heck, even Final Fantasy for the NES was more fun. The new 3D they're doing on the DS is jerky, slow and annoying. Those other four games are amazing.

More
01 Apr 2009 12:06 #24960 by Octavian
generalpf wrote:

I would absolutely skip Final Fantasy III. It just doesn't hold up to the other games in the series. Heck, even Final Fantasy for the NES was more fun. The new 3D they're doing on the DS is jerky, slow and annoying. Those other four games are amazing.

Agreed. FFIII bored me to the point of trading it in without having finished. I mainly play during my 40 minute bus commute, so it doesn't take much to keep me entertained, and FFIII still couldn't hold my interest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds