October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

DSi in review

More
17 Apr 2009 12:19 #26171 by Michael Barnes
DSi in review was created by Michael Barnes
OK, so I got a DSi. The right and proper black one, not that turquoise one that looks like some kind of medical device.

I traded in the DSlite at Gamestop, they were offering $70 for a trade-up and that along with a few Wii/DS/Gamecube cast-offs and I was able to get the whole shebang with nary a penny spent. They had a good deal where you get extra credit for trading in multiple Wii games. They even took my old DS case.

Anyway, it's pretty awesome, I think all the reviews online that are kind of depicting it as a slight upgrade are off. I'm really impressed with the redesign- everything about it feels more substantial, it doesn't feel quite so much like a toy. The matte finish is really nice, the bigger screens (17% increase) are noticeably bigger and richer in color, and the controls feel tighter- no mushiness like on the Lite. At first I wasn't sure about the clicky D-pad, but now I've already gotten used to it and I like it. I'm glad it doesn't feel so soft. The buttons also seem more responsive- I hated that on MARIO KART where you'd be holding down A and slightly let off and you'd slow down.

It is slightly bigger, but flatter. I like that it's bigger, actually. The stylus is longer too, which is good for adult hands.

The new interface is good, more like Wii. I got the free Opera browser last night and it's fine, not great, but if you're out somewhere and need to look at something it'll do. Now you can "hot swap" games, which is kind of cool. You can also adjust brightness in-game. The volume control is now an absolute up and down thing, no slider. So you don't have to try to finesse it into just the right spot. Power button is on the inside, not the side any more.

Cameras are fun. It won't replace a point-and-shoot though, it's really just above cellphone quality. There's some fun image editing applications and it'll be interesting to see how developers use them. The return of BOKTAI?

Haven't tried the music player yet, but not having MP3 capability is freakishly dumb. Maybe firmware will change that. SD card slot is a good idea.

So in all, I'm glad I upgraded. I'd say that if you have a DSlite, the upgrade is worth it if you get a decent trade-in on your old gear. I wouldn't buy it outright for $170 though unless you're a DS fanatic like me. If you don't have a DS at all and want one, spend the extra $50 and get the DSi- in the long run, I think you'll be glad that you did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2009 12:28 #26173 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:DSi in review
Thank you Michael. I don't have a DS at all, but have been thinking of getting one because the Spawn is not good about sharing.

More
17 Apr 2009 12:40 #26177 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:DSi in review
The lack of the Advanced port KILLS it for me. I already have to keep the older Advance around just to play the old full-size games...I'm not about to keep three DS around. That's dumb.

Sounds like a great system though if you don't already have a DS and especially if you don't care about the older games.

More
17 Apr 2009 12:43 #26178 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:DSi in review
Well, if they do come through with the rumored Virtual Console for DS then all those GBA carts are going to be useless!

More
17 Apr 2009 13:09 #26183 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:DSi in review
Ken B. wrote:

The lack of the Advanced port KILLS it for me. I already have to keep the older Advance around just to play the old full-size games...I'm not about to keep three DS around. That's dumb.

Sounds like a great system though if you don't already have a DS and especially if you don't care about the older games.

I'm with Ken. Am I supposed to not play SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER anymore? Or SMA3: YOSHI'S ISLAND? What the hell? If they put out a new Wii with more "def", I'd pass if they killed the GC support. Backwards compatibility is important*.

*SONY. You bunch of retards. Here's a Venn diagram circa 2007 of their fucked up PS3 offerings:

YOU WANT THE YELLOW ONE. Who knows what they have now?

More
17 Apr 2009 14:04 #26188 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:DSi in review
Super Puzzle fighter is fucking awesome and is the only reason I still have a PS2. I got the new tetris download for the Wii that is supposed to have a similar feel but I still bust out super puzzle fighter once in a while.

More
17 Apr 2009 14:17 #26190 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:DSi in review
Aren't you all a little too old to play with toys?

More
17 Apr 2009 14:51 #26199 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:DSi in review
Schweig: Clearly, you've never played Gamecenter CX. Or had your ass handed to you in the portable version of Disgaea DS.

Which reminds me: Barnes you are banned from Rock Band until you bring it back.

More
17 Apr 2009 14:55 #26200 by Michael Barnes
GAH! You know what's really stupid about that? I had it in the car to give back to you last night. I was weeding out my collection and thought "hey,I need to give that back".

It's a neat game- I like the concept better than the actual games. It works as kind of winsome commentary on VG history in the 1980s.

I've got DISGAEA DS...it's on my docket...after FFIV and THE DARK SPIRE (if you care anything about 1980s _American_ fantasy RPGs, buy now).

More
17 Apr 2009 15:11 #26202 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:DSi in review
Never liked handhelds. Might be my shitty eyesight, but my goal is games on BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER screens, not squinting and staring a wee postage stamp 'o game.

Just moved to a 24" widescreen monitor at home? A DS? Nej tack.

More
17 Apr 2009 15:30 #26205 by Deleted User 1
Replied by Deleted User 1 on topic Re:DSi in review

This old basketball game was the last handheld I owned. It was a rage back in its time. In fact I wanted the Football game but it was sold out EVERYWHERE and got the basketball game instead. I was unbeatable!

More
17 Apr 2009 15:32 #26206 by Michael Barnes
The thing that's interesting about handhelds- and the DS is the first one I've ever actually owned- is that it really kind of changes the logistics of playing a video game. It makes a big difference to me that I can go sit out in the yard with my dogs or while I'm waiting on an appointment and play a game versus sitting in front of the TV, propped up on the couch for hours on end. I can pop the DS open, play a game for 15 minutes between work tasks, and then put it away. I don't have to commit a bunch of time or completely shift gears to get into a game. Even the most hardcore games become more casual, and that's something I really appreciate that isn't possible on a TV console.

I'd pretty much never play a JRPG on a regular console these days...but the handheld format makes them more accessible and fun. You're not spending 20 hours on the couch grinding away, you can pick at it here and there or grind out a few levels while watching a movie or something.

The small screens don't bug me...I'm really more of an old school gamer anyway, so I'm still just dazzled that I can play a game with terrifying complexity like ETRIAN ODYSSEY on such a small device.

More
17 Apr 2009 16:18 #26210 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:DSi in review
Thanks for the review. I've been considering getting a DSi since I found $150 in forgotten giftcards lying around. (Finders keepers!) However I haven't played much on a handheld since the days of my GBA SP. Back then I played a ton of Pokemon Ruby, FFTA and Warioware. Assuming I pony up for a DS, what are everyones' top 5 or so games for the DS that I should consider?

-Will

*If I do get a DSi, I'll make sure to get the blue one to match my Jarvik-7 artificial heart.

More
17 Apr 2009 16:34 #26213 by Michael Barnes
Top 5 DS games...hmm...I'd say if I had to throw out all but five of the ones that I own, the survivors would be:

1) GTA: CHINATOWN WARS (Just a great all-around game, even if you don't like GTA, and a good showcase of the system's unique capabilities)
2) CASTLEVANIA: DAWN OF SORROW (it's the best of the three DS titles- take it with a grain of salt though, CASTLEVANIA is my favorite game franchise so I'm very biased)
3) ADVANCE WARS DUAL STRIKE or DAYS OF RUIN (take your pick- STRIKE is cute and colorful, RUIN is dark and gritty. Both are great, simple wargames. Go FIRE EMBLEM: SHADOW OF THE DRAGON if you want fantasy though)
4) CHRONO TRIGGER (Greatest JRPG ever made- a real joy to play through)
5) BANGAIO SPIRTS (Love shmups, and this is a Treasure shmup, so expect maximum mayhem. The cool thing is that it's really kind of a puzzle game. INSANELY hard. And cheap- $12-$14)

Honorable mentions: MARIO KART DS is outstanding, THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU has some pretty groundbreaking concepts, ELITE BEAT AGENTS is hilarious if you wants something light, NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. will definitely tickle your retro fancy. ETRIAN ODYSSEY II will bring back memories of EYE OF THE BEHOLDER and other classic dungeon crawls.

Speaking of which...I really think THE DARK SPIRE is going to become a favorite. Think old school WIZARDRY with a cool comics art (or wire frame anti-graphics, if you prefer). It's not very Japanese at all, the fantasy is definitely American-style.

More
17 Apr 2009 18:28 #26230 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:DSi in review
Bulwyf wrote:

Assuming I pony up for a DS, what are everyones' top 5 or so games for the DS that I should consider?

The good DS games let you finish a mission or complete a board while taking a shit. That's how they are designed, I swear.
  • GTA: CHINATOWN WARS: They did an amazing job on this. It will blow your mind to see how well they handled this hardware. Great game, not for kids, though, cripes.
  • PUZZLE QUEST: CHALLENGE OF THE WARLORDS: God, I'm such a match-3 whore. I would recommend GALACTRIX, but the load times are fucking obnoxious.
  • THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS: They did a fucking awesome job with this--the boomerang alone is worth the price of entry.
  • KORG DS-10: If you have ever wanted to make a Yaz record you'll pick this up.
  • KIRBY: CANVAS CURSE: One of the best platformers on the system, and worth tracking down.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds