October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

DSi in review

More
21 Apr 2009 17:18 #26495 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:DSi in review
Well I took the plunge and got a DSi with my ill-gotten gift cards. So far I am really enjoying it. As of now I'm playing through Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I really like how Zelda takes advantage of what the hardware can do with features like the boomerang (Whoever said this feature alone made the game worth its price was right) and blowing out candles by using the mic.

I thought about getting the Dark Spire, but I think I want to play some more DSi-centric games that take full advantage of the platform before I go old-school. My next purchase will likely be GTA: Chinatown Wars.

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 17:27 - 21 Apr 2009 17:32 #26496 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:DSi in review
ubarose wrote:

Any one know if there is any "drawing" app for the DSlite. The Spawn discovered the photo editing on my DSi and is now hogging it. I know she just likes that she can use it to draw. If I can find a drawing app for her DSLite, I think I maybe able to reclaim my DSi.

I just stick the kids in PICTOCHAT. They draw, hit "send" and it goes up top. Keeps 'em occupied.

If they're older than my kids and need more game, maybe track down DRAWN TO LIFE ?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 17:32 by jeb.

More
21 Apr 2009 17:49 #26498 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:DSi in review
If the boomerang impressed you, definitely get KIRBY'S CANVAS CURSE. I think RHYTHM HEAVEN shows off the touch screen pretty well, and in some pretty innovative ways.

The microphone is a neat gimmick...THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU has you blowing and yelling into it to active attacks. You've got to holler "taxi" in CHINATOWN WARS to catch a cab. It'll be interesting to see what developers use those cameras for.

THE DARK SPIRE definitely doesn't leverage the touch screen, microphones, etc. but I still think it's a uniquely DS experience. Since it's so compact and the style is so well done, it doesn't come across like WIZARDRY or any other PC/console based RPG. Since it's slow-paced anyway, playing it in small bites is pretty easy to do. i think you'll find that RPGs are _much_ more fun on the system- last night I needed to level up in FFIV (fucking Dark Elf) so I set my folks up with some commands and let them autobattle. So for about an hour, I watched TOP GUN while moving around and hitting random battles. EvEvery now and then, I had to stop and administer

You know what's another good one we haven't mentioned? SPACE INVADERS EXTREME. If you like high score attack style games, buy now. It's cheap. It adds a couple of simple mechanics to the classic SPACE INVADERS game that make it astonishingly deep and tactical.

KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE looks _awesome_, BTW...kind of a hybrid shmup/SRPG.

More
21 Apr 2009 18:06 #26500 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:DSi in review

The microphone is a neat gimmick...THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU has you blowing and yelling into it to active attacks. You've got to holler "taxi" in CHINATOWN WARS to catch a cab. It'll be interesting to see what developers use those cameras for.

Funny you should mention that. One of the Wario games I was looking at used pictures as part of the game. Something about the camera tracks your movements so you can ride some rollercoasters. I don't know if its any good but it might be a sign of how developers will use the cameras in future games.

-Will

More
21 Apr 2009 18:10 #26502 by Michael Barnes
Reviews are saying that it (SNAPPED) doesn't work very well. Supposedly it's a good concept, it's probably just reaching a little too far at this early stage in the console's development curve.

I only downloaded one of the DSiWare games (AQUIA). The others look terrible. DR. MARIO might be alright, but dang, I haven't played that since the NES days.

MIGHTY FLIP CHAMPS looks like it's going to be the first must-have DSiWare game.

More
21 Apr 2009 22:45 #26506 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:DSi in review
Michael Barnes wrote:

You know what's another good one we haven't mentioned? SPACE INVADERS EXTREME. If you like high score attack style games, buy now. It's cheap. It adds a couple of simple mechanics to the classic SPACE INVADERS game that make it astonishingly deep and tactical.

Someone mentioned SPACE INVADERS: MOUNTAIN DEW EDITION up there somewhere. I have METEOS, so this is kind of crazy-space-graphics overkill for me. My co-worker and total video game otaku friend Todd really likes SI:EXTREME though.

KNIGHTS INT HE NIGHTMARE is probably my next purchase for the DS, or I'll end up getting that HENRY HATSWORTH game because I am a whore.

More
21 Apr 2009 22:54 #26508 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:DSi in review
jeb wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Any one know if there is any "drawing" app for the DSlite. The Spawn discovered the photo editing on my DSi and is now hogging it. I know she just likes that she can use it to draw. If I can find a drawing app for her DSLite, I think I maybe able to reclaim my DSi.

I just stick the kids in PICTOCHAT. They draw, hit "send" and it goes up top. Keeps 'em occupied.

If they're older than my kids and need more game, maybe track down DRAWN TO LIFE ?

Thanks. I'll take a look at Drawn to Life.

More
21 Apr 2009 23:54 #26512 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:DSi in review
jeb wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Someone mentioned SPACE INVADERS: MOUNTAIN DEW EDITION up there somewhere. I have METEOS, so this is kind of crazy-space-graphics overkill for me. My co-worker and total video game otaku friend Todd really likes SI:EXTREME though.

KNIGHTS INT HE NIGHTMARE is probably my next purchase for the DS, or I'll end up getting that HENRY HATSWORTH game because I am a whore.

Yeah, Knights in the Nightmare looks good. So does Devil Survivor.

More
22 Apr 2009 12:38 #26551 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:DSi in review
Not a big platformer fan, and not a huge puzzle drop fan unless you can play head to head, but I thought Hatsworth was ok. The first few worlds are pretty pointless because they are so easy, but the challenge does ramp up towards the end. It's funny, but I think I would like it better if it was put out by some small-budget company, rather than being put out by EA and having the quirky offbeat theme. Feels a bit artificial.

Probably 75-80% of the way through the new Suikoden game, and I just can't recommend it. The story is alright, but the difficulty is so low you can pretty much just hit A to attack all the way through and never worry. Disappointing.

More
22 Apr 2009 12:42 #26552 by Michael Barnes
I felt EXACTLY the same way about HATSWORTH. It very much feels like a big gigantic megacorporation trying to "get hip" with the kids. It's like they really tried to go for an indie feel (I think they even say that in the ad copy) but it kind of feels like when Mr. Burns dressed up like Jimbo.

It's not a bad game...but my goodwill toward it kind of wore out pretty early on when I realized that the concept does not work. Platformers and puzzle games alike rely on a certain sense of flow and pace, and breaking up either one with something totaly different is jarring and awkward.

But it does have great music, funny characters, and a charming presentation and there is fun to be had with it.

Sadly, it went away in the DSi trade-up.

More
26 Apr 2009 15:40 #27007 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:DSi in review
I just saw this game: Rittai Picross (
). Basically it's 3D Picross, and it looks great. Right now it's only out in Japan, but it seems to be pretty straightforward, so importing shouldn't be an issue... I'm not sure whether this will make it out of Japan...

Picross is also known as Paint by Numbers and Nonograms.

More
26 Apr 2009 16:47 #27010 by Michael Barnes
Yeagh, don't show me that! I just got PICROSS against my better judgment. Gamestop was having a buy 2 used, get one free sale and I figured I'd give it a shot for free. Out of the three games (the others were LUNAR KNIGHTS and CONTRA 4), PICROSS is the winner. I thought I'd hate it. I also thought it was more a of sudoku, number puzzle kind of thing. It's not, it's more of a deduction/logic thing. It's genius, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The 3D one...may have to import that...

More
26 Apr 2009 23:23 #27022 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:DSi in review
I'd like to , briefly, jack this thread in order to exend my heartfelt gratitude towards Micheal Barnes for clueing me into the existance of The Dark Spire.

I flipped open my DS Lite and it was 1983, Dungeons & Dragons had a cartoon on Saturday mornings, and my friend Kenny just intoduced me to text based RPG games on the computer.

The Dark Spire is awesome. None of this hand holding shit-- you learn the old fashioned way: BY DYING!

(GASP!)

Rememeber kids: save early, save often!

I could go on forever, but I'll cut it short. Thanks Mike.

More
26 Apr 2009 23:36 #27024 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I've just messed around with it, haven't gone full-force into it yet (still grinding through FFIV). But what I've seen has been great, great stuff if you like the old style PC RPGs. They totally nailed that weird feeling of esotericism that a lot of those early games had because you weren't clued in on everything in the world via the internet. And it's damn hard. You're going to die a bunch, just like in the old days. I really like that it has a free-form element- there's no guidance at all other than "go in the dungeon". You can take whatever characters you want, go whereever you want, even learn dancing and sewing (not sure why yet).

The ETRIAN ODYSSEY games are definitely cut from the same cloth, but they're Japanese style- anime characters and whatnot.

More
27 Apr 2009 00:27 #27025 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:DSi in review
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeagh, don't show me that! I just got PICROSS against my better judgment. Gamestop was having a buy 2 used, get one free sale and I figured I'd give it a shot for free. Out of the three games (the others were LUNAR KNIGHTS and CONTRA 4), PICROSS is the winner. I thought I'd hate it. I also thought it was more a of sudoku, number puzzle kind of thing. It's not, it's more of a deduction/logic thing. It's genius, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The 3D one...may have to import that...

How're Lunar Knights and Contra 4? Those are two I always wanted to pick up and never got around to.

It seems to me like you are ignoring your own advice on video games with your "play what you have" rants.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds