October 09, 2023
2682 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2852 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

DSi in review

More
19 May 2009 09:51 #29443 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:DSi in review
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, who cares about those extras...

The extras look nice, but like I said they'll gather dust just like all the other video game extras that I've accumulated over the years. (Remember all the cloth maps that came with Ultimas?) I think the only bonus item I really liked was the soundtrack to I-76. That game was powerd by funk!

What Atlus games are hard to get? I think the Gamestop by my house has all their DS titles, used.

Lucky you. Where I live the local EB Games has a crappy second hand selection. I swear their case is 3/4 full of just Pokemon games. When I found a copy of Advaced Wars DS there I nearly passed out from shock.

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 12:32 #29495 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:DSi in review
I've been having great luck with Amazon lately, both for buying and selling used DS titles. It's how I was able to complete my Advance Wars collection when I discovered (with much horror) that at least one title had somehow gone missing.

Plus, no getting in the car and driving to my lame-ish video game stores just in the hope that they've got something. I just get my fix delivered right to my door, yo.

More
19 May 2009 13:43 #29526 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:DSi in review
Did you sell your games via Amazon's used selling or did you sell your used game to Amazon?

More
19 May 2009 13:48 #29528 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:DSi in review
I never did the Amazon thing, but I have bought/sold on Half.com. If you watch, you can get some really good deals. I got ADVANCE WARS: DAY OF RUIN for like five bucks. It must have been a kid who sold it, it didn't have the manual or case so he sent it in a plastic baggie with "Have fun!" written in marker. That's awesome!

BTW- anybody get PICTOBITS on DSiWare this week? It's pretty great...fiendishly difficult puzzler, very unusual gameplay. It's got a great visual style, more retro-Nintendo fetishism.

More
19 May 2009 14:10 #29535 by TheDukester
metalface13 wrote:

Did you sell your games via Amazon's used selling or did you sell your used game to Amazon?

The first one. I sell all kinds of stuff (books, games, DVDs, mostly) to other people, using Amazon as my "store."

Honestly, I'm surprised how well it works for video games. Nothing I post lasts more than a week; someone out there is looking for it and scoops it up.

More
19 May 2009 14:19 #29538 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:DSi in review
TheDukester wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

The first one. I sell all kinds of stuff (books, games, DVDs, mostly) to other people, using Amazon as my "store."

Honestly, I'm surprised how well it works for video games. Nothing I post lasts more than a week; someone out there is looking for it and scoops it up.

What are their fees like?

More
19 May 2009 14:35 #29545 by TheDukester
Fees are high-ish, but they are off-set by the fact that Amazon pays a "shipping allowance" back to the seller.

At the level I sell at (most sales in the $5 to $20 range), it usually comes close to being a wash. For instance, I might have a total of $25 in Amazon fees, but Amazon will also have paid me $24 or $26 in shipping allowance, so, either way, it's pretty close to coming out even.

The shipping thing is actually my favorite part; no more dealing with eBay and its long history of shipping shenanigans. Amazon sets the allowance, and that's it: neither buyer nor seller can change it.

Also, using a third-party program, I can literally list a new item with three mouse-clicks. It almost couldn't be easier.

More
10 Jul 2009 20:13 #34547 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:DSi in review
Although I don't have the cash to spend right now, I have a hankering to buy a new electronic toy when I can. All the talk about cool DS games is making me look at the DSi. My teenage son has the plain DS and a lot of games. He just got Professor Layton and some game I'm not familiar with called The World Ends With You. I'm dying to play PL but I'd have to physically wrestle the DS from him right now and he's bigger than me. I need my own.

I'm curious how good the web browser is. Is it relatively easy to view places like BGG and F:AT? I'm kinda bummed that is can't stream video or audio, play MP3s, etc. I was considering an iTouch. I want some sort of portable entertainment I can carry in my purse, besides a good book.

I'm kinda ticked that is doesn't come in pink. The black and puke blue don't do anything for me.

More
11 Jul 2009 11:22 #34576 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:DSi in review
SusanR wrote:

I'm curious how good the web browser is. Is it relatively easy to view places like BGG and F:AT? I'm kinda bummed that is can't stream video or audio, play MP3s, etc. I was considering an iTouch. I want some sort of portable entertainment I can carry in my purse, besides a good book.

You can view BGG and F:AT, post, comment and send personal messages. However, it is a bit slow. There is an option to view websites in a long column, so that the text becomes only as wide as the DSi screen, which makes it easy to read articles and forums. I can't compose or send e-mail through the Yahoo interface. You can't download your e-mail to read off-line.

Neither the DSi nor the iTouch are smartphones, so you can't get internet access unless you are on a Wi-Fi network. So the big question is, how often are you going to be at a Wi-Fi hot spot? I've only used it at home, hotels, and airports. You have to go through a set up for each hot spot you want to access. It stores 6 or 7 hot spots. I've encountered a couple of hot spots that weren't compatible.

It doesn't do as much as the iTouch, as far as music, video, e-mail, calendar, etc. However, the camera is pretty good, and the games are obviously more robust.

I like it. It is smaller than the DSlite, and can fit in a very small purse. I bought it to play games and for occasional internet access while traveling. The bonus is that the Spawn has a DSlite, so we can share games, picto-chat with each other, and play games against each other (although we both need copies of the games).

More
11 Jul 2009 13:11 #34579 by SusanR
Thanks Uba, that's really helpful.

I spend several evenings a week hauling one of my kids to long soccer practices located far from home. I often lug my big and heavy laptop to a nearby library and use their WiFi. Or, I try to read at the soccer fields with bad lighting. So, I want a little portable device. I think that I'd play games more than surf the internet so I'm leaning towards the DSi. I'm too cheap to pay for a smartphone plan. I need to unplug more from the internet anyway. I spend way too much time on it. (Facebook, I'm talking to you)

I got to play Professor Layton some last night and I'm totally hooked. I got reminded of just how much I SUCK at spatial puzzles.

More
11 Jul 2009 16:49 #34591 by ubarose
SusanR wrote:

I spend several evenings a week hauling one of my kids to long soccer practices located far from home. I often lug my big and heavy laptop to a nearby library and use their WiFi. Or, I try to read at the soccer fields with bad lighting. So, I want a little portable device.

HA! I clock most of my DS time waiting for the Spawn to get out of one thing or another. However, I favor long games that can be played a bit at a time, like Sim City Creater, and Civilization Revolution.

More
12 Jul 2009 00:15 #34601 by SusanR
I was kinda eyeing Dawn of Discovery at the store. I can't remember if it's been discussed here before. It looks like a fun RTS game.

More
14 Jul 2009 10:33 #34852 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:DSi in review
ubarose wrote:

SusanR wrote:

I spend several evenings a week hauling one of my kids to long soccer practices located far from home. I often lug my big and heavy laptop to a nearby library and use their WiFi. Or, I try to read at the soccer fields with bad lighting. So, I want a little portable device.

HA! I clock most of my DS time waiting for the Spawn to get out of one thing or another. However, I favor long games that can be played a bit at a time, like Sim City Creater, and Civilization Revolution.

Can a brotha get a mini review of Sim City Creator? um, and Civ Rev for that matter - or was that the same game that KingPut reviewed a while back?

I'd love a portable Sim City game but read bad reviews of their first attempt on DS.

More
14 Jul 2009 10:59 #34855 by ubarose
KingPut did a mini reveiw of Civ Rev that included a skunk attack.

I'll get a mini review of Sim City Creator out as soon as I can. My laptop is being flakey so it might be a couple of days before I can get something up.

More
14 Jul 2009 11:02 #34857 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:DSi in review
DAWN OF DISCOVERY is supposed to be really good...it's actually one of the German ANNO games in disguise.

There's an edition of ANNO 1701 for DS that you can pick up used for under $15...it's very good, it actually captures most of the high points of the full-featured PC games.

Make sure you put a preorder in for SCRIBBLENAUTS...it looks like it may be on track to be one of the top DS titles.

Don't overlook DSiware even though most of it is crap. MIGHTY FLIP CHAMPS is a must have, the MARIO VS. DONKEY KONG game is as well. PICTOBITS, AQUIA, and the soccer game are also good picks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds