October 09, 2023
2703 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2868 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Atlanta Gamefest Jan 9th-11th

More
12 Jan 2009 14:14 #16758 by Stephen Avery
Aaron- I can't believe I missed you. I finished Rob Martin's last move for him when he had to step away (pulling the bottomless void) and stepped out off the room just as the World Class Soccer game fired up.

Aww well- maybe next time I guess.

Steve"elusive"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 14:26 #16761 by Aarontu
Stephen Avery wrote:

Aaron- I can't believe I missed you. I finished Rob Martin's last move for him when he had to step away (pulling the bottomless void) and stepped out off the room just as the World Class Soccer game fired up.

Aww well- maybe next time I guess.

Steve"elusive"Avery

You finished Rob's last move? I totally forgot! I remember seeing you before Jeff and I ran off to grab something to eat. Oh well. There will have to be a next time; y'all are a fun group.

More
12 Jan 2009 14:48 - 12 Jan 2009 14:50 #16769 by Michael Barnes
I didn't even know Aaron was Aaron until somebody said his name. Nobody introduced us and he looks nothing like his avatar.

Aaron had the biggest winnings Robert and I have ever seen in RNHRG....it was something like $3 billion. I thought I was definitely going to win when I was the only finishing horse in one of the races- I bet on myself, and it was 33:1. I only brought in like 1.8 million.

WORLD CUP is awesome to play with a big group because you don't have to hunker down over it- you have three cards to pick from, and you decide who you're going to screw or help. There's not a lot of serious concentration required so you can shoot the shit and socialize around the game. But then, after the knockout round, it gets tighter and more intense until it gets to the one-on-one final. I think it's a brilliant design and it's just a lot of fun to play. It takes up to 16, believe it or not. We did kind of a big tournament (32 teams) but there's also shorter one with 10-12 teams. The only thing I hate about it is that it's ludicrously overpriced for what it is.

We did an early game of DUNGEONQUEST (it was the Bradford Boys' first) and the game was just merciless to Ken B.- he got stuck between a dead end and a rotating room with like 4 turns to sundown...and about four turns to the exit.

Aaron, you're local aren't you? We'll have to hook up sometime.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 14:50 by Michael Barnes.

More
12 Jan 2009 14:57 #16777 by Ken B.
I have a top secret document I think y'all need to see:

More
12 Jan 2009 15:00 #16780 by Michael Barnes
There's a drip missing out of that reproduction, Ken.

I think Bob Solow intercepted the one about me. I'm sure it'll turn up on the internet, probably with the 20-30 pictures he took of me.

I totally dug gaming with all y'all. That Robert dude that played COSMIC with us, he was alright too.

More
12 Jan 2009 15:01 - 12 Jan 2009 15:07 #16782 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

WORLD CUP is awesome to play with a big group because you don't have to hunker down over it- you have three cards to pick from, and you decide who you're going to screw or help. There's not a lot of serious concentration required so you can shoot the shit and socialize around the game. But then, after the knockout round, it gets tighter and more intense until it gets to the one-on-one final. I think it's a brilliant design and it's just a lot of fun to play. It takes up to 16, believe it or not. We did kind of a big tournament (32 teams) but there's also shorter one with 10-12 teams. The only thing I hate about it is that it's ludicrously overpriced for what it is.

It's a great game. The group round is very tactical, too. If you don't need to help your own teams anymore you could always try to push a weaker team in as your opponent for the group of sixteen.

Some world cups aren't that interesting though. I have Mexico '86 and Italy '90 (expansion 3) and in the group phase 2 out of 4 teams in each group advance as normal, but also half of the third ranked teams in each group advance. This sucks. Firstly this makes eliminating a very good team in the group phase a lot more harder (which is otherwise part of the fun and strategy) and secondly you need to calculate a lot more which slows down the game.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the discussion from Avery luving teh cock.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 15:07 by Schweig!.

More
12 Jan 2009 15:03 - 12 Jan 2009 15:05 #16783 by Aarontu
"I didn't even know Aaron was Aaron until somebody said his name. Nobody introduced us and he looks nothing like his avatar."

Yeah, I introduced myself to Ken and Rob, but kind of missed the chance to chat with everyone before World Cup started. I live in Atlanta, so we'll have to get together sometime.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 15:05 by Aarontu.

More
12 Jan 2009 16:14 #16808 by Stephen Avery

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the discussion from Avery luving teh cock

I am sooo going to kick Ken's ass for that.

Steve"unchecked agression"Avery

More
12 Jan 2009 21:21 #16851 by Jarvis
Stephen Avery wrote:

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the discussion from Avery luving teh cock

I am sooo going to kick Ken's ass for that.

Steve"unchecked agression"Avery

You said "kick", but I'm pretty sure you meant "lick".

More
12 Jan 2009 21:25 #16852 by Jarvis
Yeah, this was a fun weekend. I wish I would have played a few more games (like everyone else I'm sure). I played:

* Mission Red Planet
* Vikings (lost)
* Android (lost badly on turn 3)
* Wasabi
* Brass (distant last place)
* Dungeonquest (died, though technically we all did)
* The World Cup Game (lost, though I was Senegal and Japan, I had no chance)
* Bananagrams (lost a spelling game to someone who had been drinking heavily that day)
* 3 Commandments (lost, though I got to make a fool of myself begging to the priest)
* Fresh Fish (lost to a 12 year old girl)
* Iron Dragon (lost around turn 5, then played 3 more hours)
* Battlestar Galatica (got to be a split personality human Baltar...lost)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds