October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

ConnCon March 2011, Stamford CT

More
08 Jan 2011 13:10 #83861 by ZMan
I hope to be coming for the weekend and I _think_ I'll be staying at the hotel so if anyone wants to split the room we can talk. Though there won't be any pillow-fighting LARP going on...unless you really, really want to.

Zev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2011 10:04 #83885 by MarkCsigs
Hey all ... I run the board games section of ConnCon. I can't tell you how great it is to see so many of you talking about coming out for it this year. It's a smallish convention but I like to think we put together a pretty good time. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

We run about 50/50 between open gaming (with a decent library) and scheduled/slotted games. I'll be putting that schedule together over the next couple of weeks so if there are any particular games you'd like to see on the ConnCon schedule let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

More
09 Jan 2011 23:14 #83924 by Stephen Avery
I'm all about open gaming. Down in ATL there is hardly any scheduled gaming except for DragonCon.

I am curious though - What is the draw for scheduled gaming? If you wanted to play something in particuliar wouldn't you just grab a few people and check it out?

Steve"chaosmonger"Avery

More
10 Jan 2011 07:44 #83933 by MarkCsigs
I'm an open gaming partisan myself. When I took over ConnCon board games five years ago there was no open board gaming at all. It's not a coincidence that board game attendance has quintupled in that time.

But some people do like the security of building their schedule ahead of time. Plus there are other advantages ... ConnCon is a mixed gaming convention with lots of RPGs as well as board games. The RPGs are on a (necessarily) rigid schedule. So for the gamer who's there primarily to RPG it's helpful to know that he can get in a certain board game at a certain time if that's what he wants.

Also, some games can be difficult to coordinate in an open gaming situation (I'm thinking like Twilight Impirium, which has been a popular staple at ConnCon for years now.) This year we're also looking at possibly adding a couple other epic games to the schedule ...

And finally, I think that the advantage a schedule game brings is that there's someone to set up and teach the game and answer questions about rules, etc. So when putting together the game schedule I try to look primarily at brand new releases, hard-to-find older games and epic-length games.

More
10 Jan 2011 09:19 #83943 by ubarose
Also, some people who are local are trying to fit some game time into their normal hectic weekend schedule. Knowing that if they show up at a certain time they will be able to sit right down at a game they want to play, rather than waste time trying to pull together a game is a good thing for them. It's a drag at open gaming events to show up and spend an hour or more killing time while the people who want to play the game you want to play finish up playing something that they have already started, and then they run over, and then you can't even play what you wanted to play because you know you have to leave in an hour and half to pick up your kid from scouts or whatever. And then you get back from picking your kid up, and you are in the same situation all over again.

Another reason people like scheduled games is that they get to play with new people. I have a friend who didn't sign up for any scheduled games, and ended up playing the same games with people that he normally plays with every week. He was like, why did we we all drive an hour and a half to get here, pay to get in and then just do the same thing we could have done at my house.

More
13 Jan 2011 13:16 #84490 by Stephen Avery
I just talked to Richard Launius. He is really interested in coming up. If his schedule is clear then he is definately in. I also have some friends that I used to play City of Heroes with who might be coming down. This is turning out to be quite a party.

If Richard comes up we'll split a room at the hotel. I didn't see a link to it on the ConnCon page. Are there special rates for the event?

P.S. The Airtran sale is finally here. Looks like it will be $200-220 depending on the days we fly in and out.

Steve"ConnBound"Avery

More
13 Jan 2011 14:27 #84496 by MattFantastic
Stephen Avery wrote:

If Richard comes up we'll split a room at the hotel. I didn't see a link to it on the ConnCon page. Are there special rates for the event?

I think you just say you are with ConnCon and that does it. Still, free at my mom's house is the ultimate special rate hahaha. For picking you up at the airport I want a signed Defenders of the Realm from Richard and a signed tank top airbrushed with your face on it from you.

More
13 Jan 2011 16:12 #84514 by ubarose
Yes just call the hotel and say you are reserving rooms for ConnConn. They don't have an online code yet, so you have to call.

More
13 Jan 2011 16:22 #84515 by Stephen Avery
I was looking forward to spooning with Loter but if Richard is coming up he's going to keep me to my best behavior.

I'll find out the details and get it together asap. I don't want to miss out on the airfaire sale.

Steve"travel agent"Avery

More
14 Jan 2011 22:35 #84750 by Merkles
Any way we can figure out how to get the new director of public health of Stamford out to the Holiday Inn? My favorite Met manager...oh man, that would be me over the edge... Maybe we can Avery do something really whacky in the kitchen that would prompt a visit...

"Bobby Valentine, the former manager of the Mets and a baseball analyst for ESPN, who was named this week as the director of public health and safety of Stamford, Conn., his hometown. "

More
15 Jan 2011 19:34 #84817 by MattFantastic
My mom knows him sorta. Was friends with a dude that dating him in high school. (Dunno if you knew he grew up in Stamford)

More
15 Jan 2011 22:28 #84843 by Stephen Avery
We need to start a Want to play list.

Anyone interested in running a game of Gamma World?
I'm bringing just a few: 2-3 protos and a few card games.

If I didn't ave to worry about luggage, I'd bring War on Terror(not Labrynth)- I love that frikkin game. SuperAwesomeDude almost broke the game by going terrorist the 1st turn at MD Game Days.

So What are you guys down for? I'm also going to try to get into that big monster bash game that Loter/Shellie mentioned earlier.

Steve"Getting our game on"Avery

More
16 Jan 2011 10:45 #84878 by MattFantastic
I'm running Dune on Saturday night. I'm going to play in one of the TI3 games that goes on, likely Sunday morning. I'm gonna be running something else some other times TBD still.

The game, Change!, usually gets played Saturday night around midnight to whenever. This dude Brad made it up/runs it.

I'm down to play anything fun.

More
16 Jan 2011 11:52 #84890 by KingPut
MattLoter wrote:

I'm running Dune on Saturday night. I'm going to play in one of the TI3 games that goes on, likely Sunday morning. I'm gonna be running something else some other times TBD still.

I'm down to play anything fun.

I'd love to play Ti3 or Dune. But I'll probably skip the heavy weight AT games to play some lighter trash with Uba, her man and Avery. I have a copy of the Really Nasty Racing game that Southernman gave me for be being his gaming mule. I'd bring that up if Avery want to run the the thing. I'd like to get somebody who's played the game with Barnes and the Atlanta gang to import the southern trashy flavor up north. If I tried to run the game myself it might fall flat. After reading the rules, I think the game needs a little Steve "have a rum and coke" Avery to make it shine.

More
16 Jan 2011 12:02 #84893 by ubarose
If my pre-order of Mansions of Madness gets here in time, we will have that.

We always get a game of Arkham Horror going at least once. They usually have Arkham on the schedule, but mostly beginners sign up for that, so we collect the experienced players and run our own game.

Other games I will probably be bringing:

Merchants & Marauders
Thunder Road
Fury of Dracula
Defenders of the Realm
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm considering talking to Mark about getting some games that there is a strong interest in on the schedule.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds