October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2742 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Do you sleeve all your games?

More
02 Nov 2009 19:53 #46026 by KingPut
I traded for Twilight Struggles and it and the cards were sleeved.

I sleeved Shadow Hunter and Werewolf because I play with kids who love to bend and blow their nose on my cards. I'm on my 3rd deck of werewolf cards from kids destroying the cards.

I finally sleeved the BSG skill cards and loyalty cards because adults love to fondle and spill their beers on my cards.

Nothing else is worth it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2009 21:51 #46033 by ratpfink
Fuck card sleeves. I'd rather wait years and pay $60 for the Here I Stand reprint than spend $3 on sleeves to prevent the cards from getting messed up.

Non-sarcastic answer:

I now sleeve all CDGs, as well as clearcoating the counter sheets if possible. It sucks watching a much loved game that's OOP slowly deteriorate before your eyes because you're playing it so much.

More
03 Nov 2009 00:42 #46039 by Stormcow
It was BSG that pushed me over the edge. BSG and Cosmic Encounter.

I went out of my way to get FFG's new sleeves because penny sleeves make me want to kill myself. I ended up sleeving everything in my collection except for Dominion (well, it's not such a large collection). I might still sleeve Dominion, but it will cost more to sleeve than everything else combined.

More
03 Nov 2009 01:36 #46040 by Not Sure
Gaebril wrote:

It was BSG that pushed me over the edge. BSG and Cosmic Encounter.

I went out of my way to get FFG's new sleeves because penny sleeves make me want to kill myself. I ended up sleeving everything in my collection except for Dominion (well, it's not such a large collection). I might still sleeve Dominion, but it will cost more to sleeve than everything else combined.

I think instead of sleeving Dominion, you should probably just buy another copy of Dominion. It will probably be cheaper, and give you even more security against damage.

(my lonely games just don't get enough play to warrant sleeving them. If something did, I'd probably just go with the backup copy instead. CCGs are a different matter, but I don't play them.)

More
03 Nov 2009 02:02 #46041 by Dr. Mabuse
I'm not sure why the hate against sleeves. I want to pay once for my games. Once. Especially if it's going to see a lot of play or if it's out of print. Dune. Fuck, yes. Bohnanza. Yep. Combat Commander....not so much.

More
03 Nov 2009 06:39 #46048 by panzerattack
I don't sleeve any of 'em. I'm not going to hang them on the wall so what's the point? I mean, really - how often do you actually study the cards of a game and appreciate them as pristine works of art? Even if you do, a cool but battered looking card still looks better than a card in a plastic sleeve in my opinion. I don't like the way sleeves feel either.

It's like in role-playing games - a character sheet that's all dog eared and covered in tea stains and the blood of your vanquished enemies looks way better than a perfect character sheet

More
03 Nov 2009 07:14 - 03 Nov 2009 07:40 #46050 by Notahandle
mjl1783 wrote:
" If you answered "yes" to either of those questions, congratulations! You just discovered how fucking dumb it is to sleeve your board game cards."
With that attitude I'd pick the 'play with someone else' option.

JonJacob wrote:
" I couldn't be bothered to spend that much money on card sleeves."
Each sleeve cost me less than a penny / two cents.

Sagrilarus wrote:
" I figure the cost of all the sleeving will likely be enough to purchase a copy of whatever game wears out first."
Assuming that it remains in print forever.

Hatchling wrote:
" Mayday Games"
(1) Big sale at sphiatt.com... order at your own risk.
(2) SPHIATT.com Clearance Sale
(3) Just a Heads Up
(4) Stone Age in stock $22.50 and Jamaica for $36.. free ship over $90
(5) Problems with Sphiatt.com
(6) Do not support Sphiatt!!!!!
(7) Shopper Sound-Off: sphiatt.com
(8) empireboardgames.com experiences
(9) Mayday Games PRODUCES PREMIUM thickness Euro Card Sleeves for Dominion, Agricola and more! Regular Sleeves Shipping 2/13
(10) Impressed with Empire Board Games
(11) Mayday Games PRODUCES PREMIUM thickness Euro Card Sleeves for Dominion, Agricola and more! Regular Sleeves Shipping 2/13
(12) Card Sleeves - Please Explain
(13) empireboardgames is down
(14) Shopper Sound-Off: Mayday Games
(15) Mayday Games Website offline?
(16) Empireboardgames.com ripped me off
Lots of people experiencing problems in the above threads,

ratpfink wrote:
" I now sleeve all CDGs, as well as clearcoating the counter sheets if possible."
Anyone tried laminating countersheets?
" It sucks watching a much loved game that's OOP slowly deteriorate before your eyes because you're playing it so much."
QTF.

Not Sure wrote:
" I think instead of sleeving Dominion, you should probably just buy another copy of Dominion. It will probably be cheaper, and give you even more security against damage."
Dominion at Leisure Games costs £35, my sleeving cost would be less than £5.

Dr_Mabuse wrote:
" I'm not sure why the hate against sleeves. I want to pay once for my games. Once. Especially if it's going to see a lot of play or if it's out of print."
Yeah, it baffled me on TOS and even more so here. Let me ask you all out of curiosity: why do sleeve-haters feel so strongly? I wonder if it's to do with shuffling, but they seem to make it easier, which is why I sleeve, as well as for protection. And I guess a third reason is that it can't do any harm.

There! I think I've covered all the usual comments when this argument appears on TOS every other day!!

EDIT- panzerattack made a good point above. I don't think it's done due to wanting to admire the cards, simply for their longevity.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2009 07:40 by Notahandle.

More
03 Nov 2009 07:26 #46051 by ratpfink
Not Sure wrote:

I think instead of sleeving Dominion, you should probably just buy another copy of Dominion. It will probably be cheaper, and give you even more security against damage.

Can you tell me where I can get a $10 copy of Dominion? I mean, for that price, why not?

More
03 Nov 2009 08:16 #46052 by Stephen Avery
Every peice of every game is encased in an extra strength condom. Ribbed for her pleasure of course...

Steve"TheLadiesMAn"Avery

More
03 Nov 2009 09:34 #46057 by san il defanso
I have my copy of BSG sleeved, since the skill cards were beginning to get kind of grubby, and I want future expansions to match the cards.

I am also currently in the process of sleeving my Dominion set. I say "in the process" because I've had to special order enough sleeves for it. Still, for $90 worth of game, $20 is worth paying for me to keep it in decent condition, as often as we play it.

More
03 Nov 2009 09:49 #46059 by Shellhead
I consider sleeves to be excellent for prototyping purposes and a sometimes necessary evil otherwise. Sleeves can become costly, and sleeved cards don't shuffle well. But you know what's even more expensive than card sleeves? Replacing cards or even entire games after the cards wear out. Generally, cards are used a lot in situations where players are supposed to have limited knowledge, and once the cards are marked by wear, that knowledge limitation starts to disappear.

More
03 Nov 2009 09:51 #46060 by sydo
I always find shuffling the sleeved cards a lot easier than the unsleeved ones. I don't sleeve my games, only CCG's and Cosmic Encounter as these are getting a lot of shuffling and bad handling in the pub.

More
03 Nov 2009 09:54 #46061 by san il defanso
At one point I bought enough cards to sleeve my copy of Agricola, before I decided that was stupid, since those cards don't get passed around that much. They weren't the right size anyway. They were lying around though, so I threw them on my copy of RftG. Kind of a sure-why-not thing.

More
03 Nov 2009 10:12 #46064 by panzerattack
In my long and proud career of not sleeving cards I've never had to replace a game because the cards got so wrecked that they were unusable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds