October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
03 Apr 2014 14:46 #174980 by VonTush
I posted my variant on BGG, I can't access at work otherwise I'd post the link.
My seven year old and wife both love the simpler version focused on destruction and eating. After the first game I explained the actual rules to my wife and she simply said: "I'm glad you left those out".
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Apr 2014 14:51 #174981 by VonTush

airmarkus wrote: I seriously don't understand the hype over this one other than it taps into our childhood memories of the videogame and toys.

The hype is because the beard-scratchers don't want to let on that they do enjoy simple and stupid games. Instead they want some games with shoehorned decisions so they can say "This game is a great kids game...If I had kids..." as a a way to justify the fun they are having.

And Pete may be right, it may be a great game with the rules as printed, but I'll never know.
More
03 Apr 2014 15:24 #174985 by scissors
My kid is 5.5 and knows how to play King of Tokyo. this ruleset doesn't strike me as any more difficult. he remembers what cards do, he isn't reading yet.
More
03 Apr 2014 15:29 #174986 by VonTush
It isn't that they are difficult, they distract from the city destruction. My wife wasn't happy the rules were left out because they were difficult, it was because they weren't appealing.

This review sums up my thoughts pretty well:
opinionatedgamers.com/2014/01/09/nathan-...r-review-of-rampage/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse
More
03 Apr 2014 15:41 #174988 by Egg Shen
Rampage is the tits...I highly recommend it. Play with the cards..play it without the cards...doesn't fucking matter, you'll have fun either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush
More
03 Apr 2014 15:44 #174989 by VonTush

Egg Shen wrote: Rampage is the tits...I highly recommend it. Play with the cards..play it without the cards...doesn't fucking matter, you'll have fun either way.

I agree with that 100%.
What is nice about the game is that you can tailor it to suit what you want.
More
03 Apr 2014 15:50 #174990 by mads b.
I think Rampage looks wonderful and like it's a lot of fun. But I simply cannot stand the fact that one of the meeples you can eat is a blonde who's ability is to scream. I know it's cartoonish and "funny", but it's also very old-fashioned with just at hint of sexism.
More
03 Apr 2014 16:18 #174991 by Black Barney
Sexist? It's been the traditional role of women in scary movies forevers. That blonde in the video game is pivotal too. Jamie Lee Curtis scores the role in Halloween just for her ability to scream. Carrie Henn is cast as Newt in Aliens for her ability to scream.

The middle name we gave our daughter is "Ellen" named for Ellen Ripley, our favourite scary movie survivor of all time. She doesn't scream. She calls the scariest thing in the entire universe a bitch and then goes to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: airmarkus
More
03 Apr 2014 16:58 #174993 by Legomancer
My one play of Rampage was with all the rules. It was okay, but not the barrel of monkeys it apparently was for other folks. I was tired, tho, and not really in the mood for the "LOOK! FUN AND WACKY! ISN'T THIS FUN? IT'S WACKY TOO!" that the game was pushing at me.
More
03 Apr 2014 17:48 #174995 by wadenels
You lack whimsey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete
More
03 Apr 2014 18:23 #174997 by SuperflyPete
It's marketed as such, I think, but it's not. If you play it as a cut-throat, "I'll eat your face off, bitch!" kind of game, that's when it gets brutal and epic. On its face, it's cute. Sure. I'll grant that. But underneath is a nasty, nasty, nasty little game. It's easily as truly nasty as Diplomacy. Every bit, at least how we played it.

For instance, my 12 year old decided that moving to a car zone would be fun, and it would be even more fun to toss it at me and knock out a tooth. Well, not only did she do that, she managed to do it my knocking a building down into me. Next turn? Same damned thing. I had 2 teeth (and zero ability to score meeples) and the shitweed decided to hide behind buildings, facing me face-on so it's harder to knock her over. She continually took me out, and due to her power of "Vacuum" (blow meeples off map and score them) she was Hoovering the fuck out of these little stickered cocksuckers. I think she won 85-40-16 or some such shit.

When you start really trying to collect sets and fuck with the other guy simultanously, it just becomes a really strategic, FUCK YOU kind of game. And it's made even better by being so cute.

I shit you not - if you get past all the stuff you perceived (LOOK! FUN AND WACKY! ISN'T THIS FUN? IT'S WACKY TOO!) and realize that if it had little blood-stained plastic miniatures that split in half when knocked over, allowing you to eat partial bodies, and the art was way more Michael Bay than Rainbow Brite, this game would be viewed as it should - a seriously nasty little game about biting priests and blondes in half.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest
More
03 Apr 2014 19:55 #175003 by airmarkus
You sir are a sick..sick man.

I like it!

A lot!
More
03 Apr 2014 21:04 #175010 by Rliyen
In between playing the Battlestar Galactica RPG and playtesting Mutant Chronicles, my group's played a lot of BSG the board game. One of my players gifted me with the Pegasus Expansion, otherwise known by my wife as "The Psycho, Crazy Ass Expansion".

The last game we played, we had Admiral Cain, Ellen Tigh, Saul Tigh, Starbuck, and Boomer. As fate would have it, Ellen was a Cylon (wife played her well), and Admiral was the OTHER?! So, we get to New Caprica and all our dials were in the red. Luckily, Starbuck kept the Cylon patrols off our asses, while me and Boomer kept the civilian ship train going. By the time I ordered the jump, all the ships were off New Caprica and none were destroyed. Humans won by the skin of our teeth.

I've also played Android a couple of times, just to reacquaint myself with the rules. I want to play it next game day we have. I'd also love to play Ace Detective, but I think it won't hit the table as one of my players doesn't like storytelling games (she has a hard time coming up with a story on the spot).
More
03 Apr 2014 22:26 #175012 by Gary Sax
So, full circle.

I just solo played Agricola to learn the rules. I've had the game for a few months and it has never hit the table. Playing it, my feeling was that it seemed like it would be fun, with a little bit of pressure from the feeding aspect.

But I'm guessing that my wife will love the game. I don't know this for sure, but it pretty much ticks all her preferences. Little to no conflict building game, no way to effect the other player's holdings. Furthermore, the object is to build something tangible at the end of the game that you score points for that thematic resembles something relatable.

It'll be interesting to see how she reacts.
More
04 Apr 2014 09:11 #175018 by Legomancer
Had a playtest session of SeaFall last night. It's hard for me to talk about it, not because I don't want to spoil anything but because things are still in flux, though I think we're at the point where the changes will be less dramatic. Still, changes are being made, so this may be defunct at some point.

Game starts out pretty basic, just enough to get your bearings. You can interact with a few islands and raid opponents' home spaces. Eventually, though, you unlock certain paths: Exploration, Trade, and Warfare. Each of these packets give you new assistants and options. For example, you don't start out with ship combat or the ability to build ships or look for new islands.

Each game there are certain "milestones" that will score VPs. Some of them are chosen by the players, so you can pick something that appeals to you and you think you have a good chance at scoring. There's a timeline, an when you score a milestone you mark it on the timeline; ie, "Winter of 1546, Nation of Carcosa discovers the island of Bowie". Or "Spring of 1522, Utter Mongoolia becomes a financial powerhouse" (ie, sells a bunch of goods from islands).

Some of the "legacy" things are: naming islands, developing permanent enmity on islands because you keep raiding them, developing relationships with some of the assistants to make them cheaper for you to purchase in the future.

When you play the game and build a barricade, think of me; my whining got those added in!

There's a lot of flavor in the game and we're just now at the point where we're getting into the narrative. We're on game five or so, but a lot of things that weren't "unlocked" yet for us are getting moved up so what we experienced in game five last night may move up to game three or so.

I can't really say more yet, but when I can, I will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Grudunza, VonTush, Gregarius
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.962 seconds