October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
14 Nov 2016 17:39 #238382 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote:

Mr. White wrote: and even a top 5 Kurt Russell film.

agree!

5. Backdraft
4. Sky High
3. Tombstone
2. The Thing
1. Grindhouse

Kurt Russell is the epitome of actors in lots of good movies but never a great one (i know you guys LOVE The Thing here, but that's cuz u r dum)

we'll see if Guardians II changes that...

I agree that Grindhouse is the best Kurt Russell movie. It isn't the best movie that he has been in, but it's his finest performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 18:25 #238388 by Space Ghost

Shellhead wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Good thing he wasn't in Sicario or you'd have egg on your face

He would make Sicario a masterpiece. Kurt Russel is an elixir to all problems.

If you are a Kurt Russel fan, you should read No Hero by Jonathan Wood

I actually read No Hero two years ago, and I can't remember anything about it that has anything to do with Kurt Russell.

Every time the main character has a decision to make, he asks himself, "What would Kurt Russel do?"

More
14 Nov 2016 18:37 #238389 by Shellhead

Space Ghost wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Good thing he wasn't in Sicario or you'd have egg on your face

He would make Sicario a masterpiece. Kurt Russel is an elixir to all problems.

If you are a Kurt Russel fan, you should read No Hero by Jonathan Wood

I actually read No Hero two years ago, and I can't remember anything about it that has anything to do with Kurt Russell.

Every time the main character has a decision to make, he asks himself, "What would Kurt Russel do?"

Hm, I don't remember the main character very well, seemed like just a lucky mook. I do remember the Scottish woman with the sword and the anger management problem who kept saying "fecking" when she was swearing.

More
14 Nov 2016 21:56 #238406 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: the best disparity for that I've ever seen in the apartment in Friends. How can Phoebe and Rachel afford to live there?!?!?!

It was rent controlled from when Monica's grandmother lived there. They never informed anymore that the grandmother died/moved.

More
14 Nov 2016 23:12 #238409 by Hadik
I liked Dr. Strange. More than I thought I would... certainly more than Ironman. I'm a sucker for the stories about the journey from novice to master, whether it is the old Kung Fu TV show or Kill Bill Vol 2. There are some dumb shortcuts in Dr. Strange's journey but overall its entertaining. I know Dr. Strange has been called a simple re-tread of Tony Stark, but here's how their story arcs differ:

Tony Stark: Asshole ..... Asshole
Dr. Strange: Asshole ..... Enlightened Jerk

It's just more satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Nov 2016 00:19 #238416 by hotseatgames
I watched the latest James Bond film, Spectre. I liked it, although Bond's uncanny aim with all manner of firearms, in all manner of situations did seem a bit excessive. He was shooting people at ridiculous ranges. My favorite scene was his car chase. Very cool.

More
15 Nov 2016 00:27 #238417 by Sevej
So, it's our wedding anniversary and my parent-in-laws is visiting, so we could leave our toddler at home and went to the cinema for the first time in... years?

We watched Doctor Strange, and I think, this is probably my favorite Marvel movie (but I haven't watched Civil War).

I just love the moments (dr Strange getting the cape, surgery with ghosts, don't use the phone while driving, the final battle...), and when compared with Tony Stark, I could relate more with dr Strange hand-mangling accident. And the most amazing thing is that they manage to convey and make magic to be not ridiculous, without being dead serious about it. Had it not for some trusted friends' word, I would had totally ignored the movie. I dislike super heroes, and... super heroes with magic? Ugh... but they did it really well with magic/dimension/spirituality thingy.

More
15 Nov 2016 08:04 - 15 Nov 2016 08:40 #238424 by Mr. White
The thing with Kurt Russell is that he comes from that 80s era of action hero, yet you don't get the feeling he's a d-bag at all. Now, I don't know any of these guys, but I'd bet hanging out with Arnold or Sly would be radically different than hanging out with Kurt. Still rockin' that 80's mane of hair I'd bet that with Kurt you'd do a bunch of things un-ironically you never thought you'd be doing and having a great damn time. Like, you'd go to a minor league hockey game, drink a bunch of Coors, then maybe listen to some Eddie Money.
Or maybe I'm twisting up him and his Jack Burton character...
I dunno...dude just seems to have his own, Hollywood outsider vibe and a dude you never really hear any bad $#it about.

Speaking of unique vibe...I'm getting none of it from those Beauty and the Beast or Ghost in the Shell trailers. I'm sure they're going to be technically sound, well made movies, but they look so average. BatB seems to be like the recent Jungle Book...a remake of their earlier cartoon. Not sure what's gained by doing that. I enjoyed Jungle Book, but I've pretty much totally forgotten about it. Now, when I think JB...I think the old cartoon movie again. I'm guessing the same will happen with BatB. Ghost in the Shell...*yawn*. Maybe how I feel about Marvel flicks, I'm starting to feel about most genre movies...look great, but filmed so formulaic and safe. Maybe I'll just watch Fury Road and Hawk the Slayer a bunch this holiday season...
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 08:40 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Vlad

More
15 Nov 2016 09:15 - 15 Nov 2016 09:15 #238430 by Black Barney
Jeff, I also thought those trailers didn't make me jump out of my seat at all. I know we don't like the same kinds of movies or anything but here are two upcoming movies that I think look really strong...

Black Barney wrote: some great movies coming up.

Manchester by the Sea looks awesome and I think will be one of the very best of the year. The trailer was unreal the other day in the theatre. Really looking forward to seeing Michelle Williams in that role and I can't ever get enough of Casey Affleck.

Fantastic Beasts is opening and I think it's one of those movies that will leave your heart so happy and filled that you'll feel great....then you'll think about the movie after and wonder what made you feel like that (cuz I don't think it'll exactly be an Arrival in terms of cerebral challenge).

Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 09:15 by Black Barney.

More
15 Nov 2016 10:34 #238441 by Gregarius
I saw Everybody Wants Some!! last night, after missing it in the theaters this year. It's good.

There's no real plot; it's just the meanderings of a bunch of college baseball players in the weekend before class starts. It's solidly set in the 80s, unembarrassedly pro-bro, and somehow manages to pull off nostalgia for a time I didn't really experience without that usual tinge of sadness. It's one of those movies where you can't really explain why you have a smile on your face the whole time.

Linklater is so great at creating characters and dialog. I don't think any of the guys in this movie are particularly complex, but they definitely have dimension, depth, and different facets as they try to work out who they want to be.

More
15 Nov 2016 10:45 #238443 by Black Barney
how about that scene where he's in the lake all-night with the girl? i LOVED that. Did the movie bring back any memories from your college days? It drummed up a ton for me. I think that's why we have a smile on our face as he watch it.

More
23 Nov 2016 10:00 #239016 by Cranberries
I took the family to see Dr. Strange on five dollar night at the Imax theater in 3d.

First, why does the Imax even sell tickets to the first eight rows? Who is going to sit there? (I did see the new Star Wars on the first row, but that is because I misread the diagram)

I thought seeing this in 3d on the big screen was worth five bucks, and pretty fun If I had watched it on my laptop I would have been kind of bored.

Brain: 2.5/5 Visual Cortex: 4.3/5

More
23 Nov 2016 14:02 #239055 by Grudunza
Captain Fantastic is pretty fantastic. I'm going to watch it again later with my girls, so I'll add some comments then. But one of my favorites this year, easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Nov 2016 14:59 - 23 Nov 2016 14:59 #239057 by Vlad
Captain Fantastic brought me some fun memories. I was running a role-playing campaign, and one of the guys sat down with me to make his character.
He explained to me the background and the concept and, in short, it turned out that his character needed to be smart, like really smart. But also physically fit. And a good brawler, and a sharpshooter. And he was also partly a master thief, so lock-picking, stealth, pickpocket and traps. And a first-class diplomat and a trader. He also had a few psychic powers and, naturally, was physically irresistible. So the guy was asking me for all these additional points to make his character live up to his vision. I was like: "Man, it won´t be fun if you're good at everything." And he says: "You're absolutely right, let's make him a little arrogant."

Captain Fantastic is that guy for 2 hours. But, I guess that's why they call him fantastic.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2016 14:59 by Vlad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Nov 2016 16:13 #239060 by Black Barney
Just so you guys know, i'm pretty fantastic myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds