October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
29 Dec 2016 17:41 #241498 by Shellhead
So far, I have successfully ignored Eldritch Horror on the grounds that I already have the complete Arkham Horror and don't need such a similar game. But now I will be buying it, because there is a Dreamlands expansion coming soon and I always wanted a Dreamlands expansion for Arkham Horror. I don't want to get all the way into Eldritch Horror, but I might as well get that early expansion with all the cards, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2016 20:17 - 29 Dec 2016 20:18 #241511 by Gary Sax
I think you'll like it but it does not do the same thing as AH to me. AH is much better than EH in moment to moment character arcs. But EH has a much better, stronger plot arc overall.

Room in your collection for both.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 20:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Columbob

More
30 Dec 2016 02:59 #241526 by JEM
Crappy photo, but I got this at the 1/2 Price Book Store for $21 with tax. The box is a bit bashed in, but it looks to be all in there. The cards still in celophane and nothing punched.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
30 Dec 2016 03:22 #241527 by Michael Barnes
Ha! I almost bought that exact copy a couple of weeks ago.

More
30 Dec 2016 09:20 #241531 by Shellhead
Are those yellow counter sheets supposed to be Acquire tiles? Ugly. When I get around to getting Acquire, it's going to be the 3M bookshelf game edition.

More
30 Dec 2016 09:28 #241534 by Legomancer
I've committed to only acquiring (through any means) a maximum of 10 games in 2017. I thought about putting in an order before 2016 ended, but there isn't really anything I'm looking for at the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
30 Dec 2016 09:36 #241535 by Gary Sax
Yeah, 5-10 is a good target for me, too.

More
30 Dec 2016 13:14 #241558 by JEM
With the number of incoming/delayed/whatever kickstarters that should come in this next year, I shouldn't buy anything at all.

That won't last.

More
01 Jan 2017 16:07 #241658 by ChristopherMD
Arkham Horror Card Game. I'm still a big fan of the board game but I never play it solo even though I'm sure it would be good. It gets pulled 2-4 times a year with the same group of friends and I like it for that. Going to try the card game specifically for solo play instead. I like the campaign idea and that the expansions are new campaigns/side scenarios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Jan 2017 18:05 #241659 by Gary Sax
Would love to hear your opinions on it when you've played a bit, Mad Dog

More
03 Jan 2017 10:46 - 03 Jan 2017 10:47 #241714 by barrowdown
Picked up a copy of Joking Hazard over the holidays to play with my parents/siblings over Christmas. My mom's ability to process game mechanics is extremely limited so this type of Apples to Apples clone works well for them. I also added a copy of The Grizzled: At Your Orders so I could add it to the base game I have never played.

On the minis front: I ordered a few boxes of Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers to be able to fully kit out base squads. The kit only comes with one of each special weapon, but you can have up to three of a single type. I added a copy of Codex: Cult Mechanicus and Codex: Imperial Knights so I can actually play my planned army and Crusaders of the Machine God for detailed pics and painting ideas. I will promptly ignore all of the colors in the painting guide, but I really like the detailed breakdown of each of the models and additional background. Also got copies of Index Chaotica and Index Imperialis because I love reading the old fluff.

Not technically game, but I got a selection of Vallejo Metal Color paints as I would be painting a very metal heavy army (and if I get far enough for Iron Warriors, even more metal) and wanted higher quality metallics than a mica-based line. I wanted to avoid the more toxic enamel or lacquers and get something that I could easily acquire locally if needed, which really just left the Metal Color line. Reviews have it almost as good as Alclad-II, so very high end. I picked up Gunmetal, Steel, White Aluminum, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, and Burnt Iron along with a gloss primer and metallic varnish. I'm excited to see how they turn out.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2017 10:47 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
21 Feb 2017 09:04 #244279 by Chaz
Let's say I've got $50 in my pocket and was eyeing either Mythos Tales or the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper thing. Anyone played both and have a preference?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Feb 2017 09:47 #244282 by charlest
Yes, Jack the Ripper. I'm working on a review right now (played through five cases of it so far). It's the most complete and professional version of the system. I have encountered no issues with any cases thus far, only one typo I've spotted, and the Jack the Ripper mini campaign is fantastic. It's historically accurate and horrific. The West End Adventures portion of that set is more like the traditional SHCD cases and very enjoyable as well.

Mythos Tales is good but there's some issues with the printing. There's major errors in later cases apparently (I haven't gotten that far yet). If you really want the Lovecraft theme then it's still quite a good game, just heard some people absolutely livid with cases at the tail end of the game.

More
21 Feb 2017 12:48 #244295 by SuperflyPete
I ~finally~ ordered Risk: Star Wars Black. 24$ on Amazon.

I've been treating board games like video games - I wait a year or so until it's cheap then vulture dem shits
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Feb 2017 12:56 #244298 by Chaz

charlest wrote: Yes, Jack the Ripper. I'm working on a review right now (played through five cases of it so far). It's the most complete and professional version of the system. I have encountered no issues with any cases thus far, only one typo I've spotted, and the Jack the Ripper mini campaign is fantastic. It's historically accurate and horrific. The West End Adventures portion of that set is more like the traditional SHCD cases and very enjoyable as well.

Mythos Tales is good but there's some issues with the printing. There's major errors in later cases apparently (I haven't gotten that far yet). If you really want the Lovecraft theme then it's still quite a good game, just heard some people absolutely livid with cases at the tail end of the game.

Cool, thanks. Mythos is interesting if it hits the Lovecraft investigation vibe, but if there's errors that make it hard to actually play, maybe I'll wait for a possible 2nd edition.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds