October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
07 Mar 2017 07:03 #244916 by JEM
There was(is?) a big sale on Origin, so I bought Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've played a bit more of ME3 (landed on my first other planet) than DA:I (killed the first big demon thing) but I can see they're playing true to type from previous installations. Both still have a character creation screen that uses different lighting than in-game meaning it all looks a bit wrong when you get in there. In the case of DA:I it was impossible to even see the scars (at full intensity), maybe that's a PC bug though.

Mass Effect always had that thing where you never know if the next door you open triggers some plot event that shuts off half the map or destroys the planet, and that's still there. In Dragon Age I can already see those endless hours of wandering for resources ahead- just running to the temple at the start, there are lumps of iron ore tucked away a minute or two off the story path, and you don't know what isn't there until you've looked. I didn't use the turn by turn combat, just the button mashing.

For now I'm going to stick with Mass Effect 3. It's nice to be on the Normandy 2 again. I had to download a mod manager to enable joypad support on PC but it's working well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2017 08:53 #244917 by stoic
All this talk about about open world games is giving me a headache. I also prefer games with rails and more structure. My son plays Skyrim, Destiny, and Red Dead Redemption on the XB1. I absolutely no longer have the patience for these games where you wander around endlessly and mine resources or do side missions. I've watched him play them for hours. These are way too boring for me. Rather, I've been attracted to games like Bayonneta, Devil May Cry, and arcade style games like Pinball FX 2.

More
07 Mar 2017 09:55 #244918 by Michael Barnes
Nier Automata should be your next purchase. I would be playing it but the Switch came yesterday so there's that...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
07 Mar 2017 14:11 - 07 Mar 2017 14:12 #244926 by san il defanso
I am also a more structured gamer, as a rule. I've always preferred to know what I should be doing next. I think this is why Breath of the Wild has taken a hold of me, because it's a far cry from most of the games I usually enjoy. I don't know if that means it's just a very good example of an open world game, or whether the Zelda IP is overcoming my bias here.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 14:12 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Mar 2017 14:26 #244927 by iguanaDitty
I am a little overwhelmed at the moment. Games that look fantastic include Torment (played the opening, it's great so far), Horizon: Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild. I am potentially interested in Nier, the battles in general look much better than the last iteration, but Platinum often requires more precision from their players than I can provide. And then Mass Effect and Persona 5 come out soon!

Too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Mar 2017 16:05 #245007 by Disgustipater
Still pounding away at Hitman. I've hit Level 20 Mastery in the first three episodes. Halfway done. I've logged 60 hours with it so far; and I'll probably put that much more in the next 3 episodes. And that's without doing any of the escalation missions, which I will go back to when I finish the rest of the episodes.

I feel a little bummed that I didn't get to play these as they were coming out, so I'm definitely looking forward to season 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, hotseatgames

More
09 Mar 2017 16:45 #245008 by hotseatgames
I'm definitely going to scoop up Hitman at some point in the future... but I still have a lot more Nazi testicles to destroy in Sniper Elite 4.

More
12 Mar 2017 21:55 #245066 by SaMoKo
Picked up Fast RMX for the Switch. If looking for another game to play on the Zelda machine, this should be it (and Snipperclips!). I spent most of the weekend stoned out of my mind on T3s, and felt like I was shooting through a tunnel in a 2001 style freak out sequence of speed and colour. Maybe not the most technically advanced racer compared to Wipeout, but the AI is hard as fuck and it brings back good memories of F-Zero. Looks beautiful on the Switch screen, and probably pairs well with peyote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Mar 2017 23:35 #245067 by dysjunct
"Love You To Bits," free this week on the App Store.

A nice casual puzzle game, cute theme and gorgeous graphics.

More
13 Mar 2017 04:30 #245069 by Colorcrayons
I spent a couple hours playing Bound on PlayStation VR.

There is a definite vibe that you would get from playing Journey.
But the aesthetic immediately brings back to my mind buried deep in my subconscious, a quality from the late 80's. Art you might find reading Omni magazine and the polygonal quality of computer animation of that period, but much smoother.

Your anthropomorphic alien ballerina pirouettes, sashays, ballons, pique turns, etc. Your way through a roiling geomorphic landscape. I thought the idea of playing as a ribbon dancing ballerina to be weird, but watching it was mesmerizing.

It won't garner the same response as Journey did half a decade ago, but if you enjoyed the telaxing experience of Journey, Flower, Flow or Abzū, this game will be right up your alley. The VR isn't necessary to play it, but if you have access it is recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
13 Mar 2017 07:29 #245072 by JEM
I got the touch controllers for Oculus Rift this weekend, because they dropped to half price, and (sucks to be me) are now also included with the Rift.

VR before the touch controllers was a cool, new experience. With the controllers it's something else entirely. I spent a good deal of the weekend playing Robo Recall.

I suck at the game, but I was having endless fun with it. Still just sitting at the desk, this thing is amazing, and I'm building a new PC and clearing space to go into "room size" VR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
13 Mar 2017 11:25 #245081 by RobertB
Still playing Witcher III. I'm liking it a lot. I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of this - the game's environment is huge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
13 Mar 2017 11:48 #245082 by airmarkus
I've got to get back to the Witcher 3 soon. I keep putting it off. For some reason I stopped playing early last year in the middle of a really interesting part, involving a particular Baron and I don't know why I didn't continue. I sometimes have a hard time investing my time in these long games and I'm not sure why.

Currently I'm playing Uncharted 4. The gameplay is average and typical of the series, but man am I impressed with the animation and story. It's not going to win any Academy Awards, but as games like this go it's pretty good. I really think the character animations in particular are really impressive, especially at conveying emotions and body language. I've never seen anything in another game quite like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
13 Mar 2017 17:04 #245105 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I am witching like a motherfucker still. Geralt just has a lot of flat out great dialogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB

More
14 Mar 2017 00:45 #245111 by jeb
Still playing SHENZHEN I/O. Something really satisfying in this game if you are even a little algorithmically inclined. I got stuck on something today and went back to my old CADs and made some improvements. This game is super fun if you "get it."

Played some NUCLEAR THRONE. That's a fun game right there. It's like SMASH TV all grown up and somehow sent back to 8-bit at the same time? Keep dying in the dark, but I know I will get there.

Dabbled in STARDEW VALLEY. Meh.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds