October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
17 Jan 2018 23:32 #261290 by jeb

Legomancer wrote: I have been re-playing The Witness and really enjoying it. I finished all the "main" puzzles and got through the mountain all the way up until the elevator. I'm now in the secret area, working my way towards the challenge. I've gotten a few hints along the way, but mostly I've gotten pretty good. Haven't watched any of the movies yet because some of those are loooooooong. (I did find the hidden ending at the start of the game). I'm also trying to get all the environmental puzzles. So far no hints on those (the game provides several on its own). There are supposedly over 600 panels and I'm around 490.

I also re-bought Fez, which I played before on the Xbox and enjoyed, though I got frustrated with it at one point.

Two of my favorite games. I max %'d FEZ twice and I cannot, dear god, please one time for the life of me can't beat The Challenge in The Witness I have tried, across PS4 and iPad, a solid 100+ tries. At least. Maybe 200? 300? A lot. I make it to the end plenty, but just can't polish it off. Sigh. I keep at it. There's a movie in there. (I love the movies). I am trying to sort out another thing I will bother you about if you don't mind. Let me know.

ZELDA: BotW here. I have beaten all the sub-bosses and now I am just checking things out around Hyrule, as one does. Finding shrines, getting to weird spots, looking for a decent horse, damn. My horses are gorgeous, don't get me wrong. I look good. But they aren't thoroughbreds, speed-wise.

HEARTHSTONE too, of course. Futzing around, playing goofy stuff. I have two more Heroes to win the Dungeon Run mode with to get a cardback, but that mode is just fun, period.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2018 07:53 #261312 by hotseatgames
Almost forgot, I'm also almost caught up with Bowser in Super Mario Odyssey. This is the most time I have ever spent playing a Mario game. It's great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Jan 2018 08:20 #261316 by lj1983

hotseatgames wrote: 1. Finished Zero Time Dilemma. A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy that manages to touch on events from the previous games.
2. Chipping away at the 2012 Syndicate FPS. It's cool, but difficult and linear to a fault.
3. Also messing around with Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It's as stylish as the first game but so far I don't love it the way I loved the first game.
4. I couldn't resist starting Wolfenstein 2. I'm playing on easy, and that's working for me because the story is the real draw here. This game is amazing, plain and simple. When I saw the original Wolfenstein 3D, I was blown away. And this game blows me away all over again.

I used to push to play on "hard" or "insane" difficulties. now normal is the default, and if I'm not having fun, Easy is fine. I don't have time. Diablo3 I up the difficulty, but that's a special game. everything else, whatever kind flows with where I'm at is fine.

More
18 Jan 2018 08:58 #261323 by Legomancer

jeb wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I have been re-playing The Witness and really enjoying it. I finished all the "main" puzzles and got through the mountain all the way up until the elevator. I'm now in the secret area, working my way towards the challenge. I've gotten a few hints along the way, but mostly I've gotten pretty good. Haven't watched any of the movies yet because some of those are loooooooong. (I did find the hidden ending at the start of the game). I'm also trying to get all the environmental puzzles. So far no hints on those (the game provides several on its own). There are supposedly over 600 panels and I'm around 490.

I also re-bought Fez, which I played before on the Xbox and enjoyed, though I got frustrated with it at one point.

Two of my favorite games. I max %'d FEZ twice and I cannot, dear god, please one time for the life of me can't beat The Challenge in The Witness I have tried, across PS4 and iPad, a solid 100+ tries. At least. Maybe 200? 300? A lot. I make it to the end plenty, but just can't polish it off. Sigh. I keep at it. There's a movie in there. (I love the movies). I am trying to sort out another thing I will bother you about if you don't mind. Let me know.

Sure, bother away!

More
18 Jan 2018 09:10 #261327 by Black Barney
Yesterday they announced how the economy of MAGIC ARENA will work and it sounds like fun. For those that don’t know, it’s Magics answer to Hearthstone, very similar but you’re at least playing Magic .

There will be two currencies , gold coins and gems. Gems of course cost real money and can be used as short cuts , but you can’t buy any in-game things with them that gold coins wouldn’t be able to get.

You earn coins by winning games, finishing daily and weekly quests.

Coins buy normal boosters, keeper drafts (where you get 14 card boosters, play a draft with it and keep everything after).

They have optimized the game for people that can only play a bit each day since your first win of the day is the biggest reward in the game

Each win will probably also get you a random card

Instead of crafting dust, duplicates over 4 copies earn you progress towards your vault, when that fills up you get a reward containing various things but mostly wildcards. Wild cards have different rarities and you use it to exchange towards any card you want in that rarity

I think that’s everything

It’s in Beta on PC right now. I plan to play it when it comes to Xbox. Can’t wait
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
18 Jan 2018 10:05 - 18 Jan 2018 10:06 #261339 by RobertB
Skyrim, again. This time I've added a boatload of mods, mostly appearance-based. Make the characters look a little better, turn off most of the snow, stuff like that. The biggest change would be an alchemy mod that figures out the highest prices for potions, based on your inventory. For me, that's borderline (if not flat-out) cheating. I'll probably be bored in a week or two.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2018 10:06 by RobertB.

More
18 Jan 2018 10:56 #261351 by SuperflyPete
Still playing The Division to the exclusion of all else. Short half hour sessions at a time.

I’m to the point now where I have to join up with a group to beat some of these fuck all unfairn missions.

This may end the game for me.

More
18 Jan 2018 12:03 #261372 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: Oh, I forgot to slag on Eve a little bit. I've started it three times now, and have never made it a whole month. It's almost the opposite of fun. Maybe I'm chasing some kind of exciting space MMO unicorn that's WoW in space, to remind me of back when I liked WoW a lot.

Eve Online was a really big thing for a bunch of my local friends about a decade ago. They kept trying to get me into it, so I watched them play. I finally concluded that Eve appeared to be a cross between Firefly and eBay. I shared that observation with several Eve players. They laughed, but didn't disagree with me. Hard pass.

More
18 Jan 2018 13:17 #261396 by Michael Barnes
Mark, did you go through New Donk City yet? I think that is one of the best Mario levels of all time. The end of it was just amazing. It is like they said "how can we overload this with delight". It was so good I felt like the game could have ended right there and I would have been fine with it.

Switch may turn out to be one of the best consoles of all time. It is just a sheer pleasure to play with. I'm excited about playing games I already have on it- Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Dark Souls...really wish they'd bring the Metroid Prime trilogy over.

I've been playing a lot of Steamworld Dig 2, and it is GREAT. I liked the first one, but this one kind of blows its predecessor away. It has the Dig Dug-y mining but more platforming and more sophisticated upgrading and development. The storyline is more interesting and the Metroidvania style runs strong in it. I've enjoyed every minute of it.

I also picked up Steamworld Heist, which I liked a lot on 3DS but this is the way to play, I think. Great, simple turn-based strategy but at a side view, which is really cool. Pretty darn tough too.

I've played some more Breath of the Wild and I think it's got me now. Finally made it to the Zora's Domain and I felt like that was kind of a turning point. The battle with the Divine Beast in the lake was awesome- classic Zelda stuff. I've gotten a little more into the cooking and all too. I guess I'm still really early on in it, but I'm not really in a hurry with it.

Probably going to grab Darkest Dungeon tonight, been wanting to get into that one for a while and the Switch edition has all the DLC I think.

More
18 Jan 2018 13:27 #261398 by the_jake_1973
On the EVE topic, EVE: Valkyrie on the PSVR is just amazing and I have been enjoying my dogfights there immensely.

More
18 Jan 2018 13:38 #261400 by hotseatgames
New Donk City was probably my favorite part so far. I'm at the Moon.

My favorite thing to take over has been the bird with the spear beak.

More
18 Jan 2018 14:19 #261408 by jeb
Keep talking about E:O and Thaadd will show up. She's like Bloody Mary, but in spaaaaace.

The kids and I have built up rich mythologies around ZELDA: BotW. Fish Girlfriend features prominently, as does Fish Boyfriend, rowr. If I can recommend the next Divine Beast, it would be the Rito Village one, up in the Northwest. That gets you a SWEEEEET power-up that helps immensely in navigating Hyrule.

It's the HEARTHSTONE world championships right now, so I am keeping an eye on that and playing some.

I agree with Barnes on the Switch though. I mean, holy shit. It's amazing. I was happy with the 3DS, which is a SNES I can carry around. But I am not unhappy with a PS4 I can carry around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2018 09:59 #261473 by hotseatgames
I just beat Super Mario Odyssey... at least the main part of the game. I doubt I'll spend much more time with it since I have other things to play, but we will see.

It occurs to me that Cappy could probably have done everything by himself, unless he really just needed Mario to physically pick up power moons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 Jan 2018 12:25 - 19 Jan 2018 12:28 #261501 by Colorcrayons
I don't recall if we have a dedicated Switch thread, but I'll go ahead and ask here.

Is this just another iteration of the Wii?

I know the answer is not really, but it seems to me if you want actual hardware acceleration to play more demanding games, this doesn't seem to be the console to use.

But if you want the sort of games that made the Wii a resounding success, then this is the system to buy.
Fun games that don't take themselves too seriously outside of Zelda. Good for the family and friends.

Laba (sic?) Seems to pound that notion home. A very neat gimmick, the kind the Wii was also known for.

I'm a new found fan of the Wii, so these are good points for me. Yet I don't want to play Doom on a switch, as there is better hardware for that.

So would an apt distillation of what the switch currently is, be that it is better Wii hardware that just happens to be portable now?

Because I am curious by the switch, but still remain fully unconvinced of it's necessity to my life when I already own a PS3, a PS4, a Wii (capable of playing GameCube games), and a PSP.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 12:28 by Colorcrayons.

More
19 Jan 2018 13:00 #261506 by jeb
Ha! Colorcrayons, we should hang out.

Plugged in, charged, I have WiiU, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS, 2DS, Mini-NES, Classic SNES, and can retrieve PS2, Wii, and Xbox360 from the garage. In the last two weeks:
WiiU -- Nothing, but kids are still playing Just Dance and Kart on here
PS4 -- Overwatch, Blu-Ray player
PS Vita -- LetterQuest
*DS -- Art Academy, Pocket Card Jockey by the kids
Mini-NES -- nothing, but we hook this up in the minivan on trips
Classic SNES -- Super Metroid

...and I have the Switch too. Do I need it? Of course not. I have thousands of hours of stuff to do. But I don't mind saying it is good. For me, the Switch is for ZELDA and other exclusives, and couch co-op. Nintendo just owns couch co-op in our house. OVERCOOKED is getting play, and we all laugh at the Jackbox games, and break those out when folks come over. Looks like Kirby is going to bring it here too.

Do you need one? No. You don't. FOMO sucks, but it's not a reason to buy something this expensive. Wait a year, find a cheap one somewhere. It's a great little system, but you don't need to go crazy to get one unless things like LABO are so powerful you can't resist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds