October 09, 2023
2627 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2818 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Jan 2016 15:50 - 20 Jan 2016 15:51 #220352 by Black Barney
Whatever allows me to play Nintendo games without having to buy one of their consoles or absolute garbage controllers works for me.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 15:51 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 17:56 #220365 by Michael Barnes
YOU are a garbage controller.

You know what, I would actually be kind of disappointed to play a Nintendo game with a PS4 controller. Granted, the PS4 controller is pretty much the ne plus ultra of controller design (I think it's damn near perfect), but Nintendo has a long, torrid history of garbage controllers...and yet we have adapted to them.

NES- teeny little anti-ergonomic rectangle. Then they put out the 25 pound NES advantage and that retarded pro controller with the disc.
SNES- Slightly more rounded than the NES pad, but still garbage.
N64- Ha ha ha, WTF is this thing...that C-stick, OMG. It's like they said "let's make the most NON-STANDARD controller possible".
Gamecube- "See how Sony and Microsoft did it? Well, don't do that. Make it have a big red button and bunch of confusing small ones. And NO ANALOG TRIGGERS.
Wii- A remote control tethered to half a gamepad
Wii U- It's a tablet smashed into the middle of a controller

And this is without figuring in things like the GOD AWFUL classic controller that came out first, with the sticks in the worst possible place UNLESS you are only playing Geometry Wars or Robotron 2084. Then they came out with another one with handles that weighed like .5 ounces and felt like you could blow it off the table with your breath.

They kind of got it right with the new pro controller, but it still pales in comparison to the PS4 controller.

But you know what I love all of the above and I think part of the experience of those games is having those weird, awkward controllers. This is why people demanded and they made classic Gamecube style controllers for SSB Wii U. Their controllers are custom made for their games, and vice versa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Black Barney, Columbob

More
20 Jan 2016 18:12 - 20 Jan 2016 18:13 #220368 by Black Barney
I loved the GameCube controller and I'll never be able to bad mouth the N64 one. How I ever managed to fly an x wing with that thing, I'll never know. Maybe I have a high midochlorian count
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 18:13 by Black Barney.

More
20 Jan 2016 18:15 #220369 by metalface13
Nintendo NX? Wha? I don't follow video game news any more, what is this McGuffin?

More
20 Jan 2016 18:19 #220370 by jeb

Michael Barnes wrote: Gamecube- "See how Sony and Microsoft did it? Well, don't do that. Make it have a big red button and bunch of confusing small ones. And NO ANALOG TRIGGERS.

Did a motherfucker just badmouth a Wavebird up in this bitch? I still rock the Wavebird in SM4SH. Let's go.

THE WITNESS lands in a week guys. I am sick that day(s).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Jan 2016 19:05 #220377 by SuperflyPete

jeb wrote:
THE WITNESS lands in a week guys. I am sick that day(s).

When you come in the following day with chrome-colored spray paint all over your grill, they'll know what's up
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney, Frohike

More
21 Jan 2016 09:00 #220392 by Legomancer
I finished Fallout 4, by which I mean I completed through the main quest line. I'll have more detailed thoughts on it later, but largely I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm kind of at a loss. I had bought Grim Fandango because I'd never played it (or many other games of that ilk) and everyone was talking it up. I started it and I love the graphics and dialogue but had no idea how to approach anything the game wanted me to do. I mentioned this on Twitter and everyone was like, "Oh yeah, the puzzles and gameplay are all dumb, just watch a playthrough." THANKS GUYS.

I also grabbed Assassin's Creed 4 in the sale they just had and fired it up last night. I'm in Havana and everyone hates me always (probably because my character is a surly asshole, which I absolutely looooooove playing, let me tell you.) I can't walk three steps without 20 guys all dogpiling me. I tried sneaking around on the rooftops and there's guards on the roofs? What the fuck does this game want me to do? I quit in frustration after about an hour. I haven't played any of the other AC games.

So now I don't know what to do. I don't WANT to immediately play FO4 again with a different build, but nothing else is grabbing me. Do I just figure out AC4? Go back to Destiny, which honestly I haven't given a moment's thought to since I put it aside for Fallout? I got Metro and Last Light Redux for Christmas, but that seems like just pretending I'm not playing Fallout. I've been wanting that Uncharted bundle for PS4, buy that?

More
21 Jan 2016 11:18 #220401 by Black Barney
Lego, Havana is the most frustrating part of the game. You have to avoid the red areas as much as possible since you're not really allowed in there, you gotta be sneaky. Once you're done Havana, the game opens up WIDE and you will love it, I promise. It's all open world after that. You'll be reminded of Wind Waker at times.

Just walk around normal in Havana, don't do things that get attention on you, guards don't like that. Focus on your missions and objectives, don't get distracted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jan 2016 11:21 #220402 by Gary Sax
Trick to AC4 is to grind story missions until you get out of Havana. Don't fuck around with anything else until you do and move the story forward.

More
21 Jan 2016 13:17 #220417 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: You'll be reminded of Wind Waker at times.

Probably not, as I never played Wind Walker.

Black Barney wrote: Just walk around normal in Havana, don't do things that get attention on you, guards don't like that. Focus on your missions and objectives, don't get distracted.

Like, my guy goes to a place and, in a cutscene, starts talking shit to someone and gets in a fight. That's because my guy is an asshole.

Then someone pickpockets my friend and I chase him down and kill him? WTF? Am I a Jedi or something?

And now they want me to tail these two guys but I can't because every three steps 50 guards show up and tackle me.

More
21 Jan 2016 13:21 #220418 by Black Barney
Tailing guys is USUALLY Easier on rooftops but not always.

And yeah, your guy is a mass murderer. It's why the DLC is soooo good for that game cuz you're a freed slave and actually feel good dispatching monsters

More
21 Jan 2016 16:10 #220429 by Erik Twice
I actually love the Gamecube controller. It has a couple flaws (Digital triggers, rigid D-Pad, Z-button) but being assymetrical and having the most used button be bigger is something that I wish every other controller would follow.

Basically, for me the ideal controller would be a hybrid between the Dreamcast's and the Gamecube's.

More
21 Jan 2016 21:10 #220458 by Sevej
I thought I was done with Door Kickers (done all campaign and single maps), but now I'm obsessed with the "perfect plan" scheme on the smaller map. In this challenge, you plan all your movements at the beginning and just see how it's unfold. Note that it's not a perfect situation, since enemies and gunfire are somewhat random. On some maps I repeat the same plan several times with different results. But, it's okay, and I find it intriguing.

More
21 Jan 2016 22:35 #220463 by iguanaDitty
So I finally have a PS4 and am playing Rocket League and I suck soooo much. Like, I count it as a successful match if I am able to hit the ball once.
How does one get good at this game? I might not care, it's fun to laugh at how bad I am and every now and then I do something cool despite myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Jan 2016 22:41 #220465 by Gary Sax
You want to blow your fucking mind? Go watch a video of a high level tournament/match.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds