October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Jan 2016 13:32 #220987 by OldHippy
Platinum's TMNT announcement is the main reason I'm looking into Xboxone/PS4 now... that and Scalebound have pushed me over the edge. It's funny because they were the ones who sold me on Wii U as well with Bayonetta 2. Although I ended up loving the system for many other reasons.

I still play Vanquish, it might be my favorite game from last Gen... it's just so much pure adrenaline fueled fun. I know it gets compared to Gears of War all the time but it feels like it owes just as much to Afterburner as it does anything else.

My son and I finished Superchargers recently, it's probably a better game than Trap Team but as a father son combo Trap Team was more fun. The trap concept was just so damned cool and my son loved trapping villains and then getting to use them later on, whereas the vehicles can sometimes be a bit too much for him. Both great games though and we're still playing parts of them over again. They're surprisingly re-playable for what they are and they kind of need to be if you're going to level up all the characters you end up buying. Almost done Yoshi's Woolly World too. It's still a fun if light game, perfect for playing with a 4 year old. I never played any of their other texture games (or Yoshi games) though so I really have nothing to compare it to.

I'm seriously considering picking up Chronicles X but a part of me just keeps saying hold off. The only thing I really want for my Wii U right now is Star Fox and to a lesser degree the new Zelda.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2016 13:55 #220992 by Disgustipater
I want The Witness real bad. Because I'm cheap (not to mention entitled), I usually wait until a game get down to $5 before buying it. I'll wait years if I have to. But this game I may have to just drop that $40 right now.

More
28 Jan 2016 14:52 #220999 by jeb
I have 89 panels solved so far, but I am stuck in like four different ways. There is one common (?) kind of puzzle for which I do not understand the grammar, but I did think of an idea as I woke up this AM and will attempt it this evening. There's another one were I progressed through three or four, getting the grammar, came to the next, saw "the trick," as it were, but still can't get it. There is one location where I can start the puzzles, but only because I worked out the combinatorics of the solution space (66) and could just brute force it.

I also found what I believe to be a cipher, but it hasn't proven useful yet.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Jan 2016 16:48 #221009 by Erik Twice
I've been trying Endless Legend a bit. It's a Sid Meier's Civilization clone, down to the food/production/gold/science breakdown, the ruins, the city state missions and buildings. It seems nice and does have a couple twists, like an Alpha Centauri unit creation tool, heroes ala Heroes of Might and Magic and diplomacy based on resources, not board position or trust.

So far I like it except for two things: Everything's way too small on the screen and there are waaay too many abilities on each faction. Like, each one has 8-9 of them, which is weird.

More
28 Jan 2016 18:34 #221018 by Gary Sax
I liked Endless Legend because the factions felt really distinct on a fundamental level (and had their own story), but that wasn't necessarily a product of the pure stat based differences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
28 Jan 2016 20:30 #221025 by Sevej
I actually hated the unit creation/customization and immediately uninstalled after an Endless free weekend tryout. Too bad since I really like the 1 city per region stuff & combat.

More
28 Jan 2016 21:10 #221028 by Disgustipater
Free weekend for Sunless Sea. I'm really interested in this game so I should really play some of it. Hopefully it's enough to get a good feel for it. Though I'm currently in the middle of Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I want to get finished, but I suppose that can wait for one weekend.

More
28 Jan 2016 21:20 #221029 by Gary Sax
Sunlight Sea is fun but difficult. It can be downright slow if you're playing it safe. And not playing it safe can go really badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Jan 2016 21:34 #221030 by Disgustipater
I love rogue-likes, and don't mind repeated failures and difficult attempts.

More
29 Jan 2016 00:20 #221035 by SuperFlySwatter
I still find it bizaree that rogue like means what it does. I think I've always assumed Rogue = Thief, so always blindly assumed it was games that include a sneak element like, well, Thief (and I guess MGS, Splinter Cell) but it turns out thats not what people mean when they say rogue like.

/uselessthreadcontribution
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Jan 2016 08:41 #221038 by Legomancer
One of the first games of that ilk was called "Hack" and floated around college campuses (as it ran on mainframes). When a version got ported to PCs, the name was changed to it could be trademarked, and that name was "Rogue". Hence the term.

More
29 Jan 2016 11:32 #221055 by Legomancer
Project: Don't Simply Play Fallout 4 Again continued last night with The Witness. It's interesting and pretty, but $40 is far too steep for it. I like how it teaches you about the puzzles, but there are some that I thought I understood the rules for but clearly don't. (Specifically, the black/white ones and the "switch" ones in the place with the ramp and elevator.) I also wish there was at least a rudimentary map.

More
29 Jan 2016 11:51 #221060 by Gary Sax
More Darkest Dungeon. The game has improved since beta, the balance is a little better and more forgiving. The game is still frustrating and difficult but that's all intentional.

More
29 Jan 2016 11:55 #221061 by metalface13
Whoa I have not heard of Endless Legend, I see it's one of those rare games that's available for Macs. Tell me more ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
30 Jan 2016 09:52 #221116 by SaMoKo

metalface13 wrote: Whoa I have not heard of Endless Legend, I see it's one of those rare games that's available for Macs. Tell me more ...

Best 4x game on the market so far. It takes the formula of "almost great" from Endless Space, and addresses almost all criticisms to make it great. More or less a reboot of Master of Magic, but with far more personality and better gameplay. The only other strategy game up to it's par from recent that I've personally played is Age of Wonder III, which is a different take on strategy game (tactical battle focused).

Been breakin' ankles online in NBA 2K16. Best sports game I've played in a long, long time. They nailed the defensive AI, gotta think about the strategy of the game to get past them unless you've got an all-star Curry or Lebron on the floor and some decent stick skills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.613 seconds