October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Last Jedi - Full Spoilers

More
21 Dec 2017 17:31 #259472 by Michael Barnes
Snoke says almost exactly that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2017 19:08 #259475 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Tron apologies for lumping you in with Gamergate, but my initial encounters with criticism of TLJ were with whiny gamergate style antics and seeing articles discussing how the real villain in the film is toxic masculinity. However you missed that I have backed off from that initial diagnosis in multiple posts, and have a more nuanced appreciation of the criticism.

I have taken a lot of schadenfreude from watching youTube videos of people ranting about how bad TLJ is, but have really hit Poe's law quite bad. The exact same elements that some people hate are what others love. I was watching a youTube video of someone celebrating the film but it took me 10 minutes to realise it was a parody pointing out its supposed flaws as 'highlights'. And then there was a video titled something like "TLJ is Rian Johnson giving the middle finger to 80's action heroes" and is that going to be for or against the film?

More
21 Dec 2017 20:16 #259478 by Grudunza

More
21 Dec 2017 22:42 #259481 by Black Barney
Ok I saw it on IMAX

I really don’t get why people are divisive on this movie. What is even remotely controversial about it? I think it took way less risk than Rogue One did and played it pretty safe. There was one or two things I didn’t like but I thought it was really really good and had a few moments of greatness even. For sure heart rating has to be 4.5 stars. Brain rating will take me much more reflection tho

I lol’d two or three times actually . Some of the jokes were pretty lame. I didn’t like Poe dicking with Hux even though Poe was my favourite character in this i think. There were some classic SW feeling gags that were great. The rock falling on the denizens shopping cart on the island was hilarious fun, and I loved the shuttle pilot following Kylo Rens order after he bitch slaps Hux.

I really think using muppet Grover Yoda was one of the boldest most amazing choices I’ve seen in a movie like this in a long time. I even got emotional. That’s the Yoda I grew up with loving. He’s my favourite character as a kid watching Empire Strikes Back ans they totally brought him back!! I don’t want pensive Jedi Master CGI Yoda ever again. I hated that guy. He didn’t feel as real as a stupid muppet and that’s a dismal failure on the part of the prequels.

This is weird but I don’t think I liked any of the main characters except for Poe. I just didn’t dig any of them. But these sub characters like Rose and company really elevated the film. How about that closing shot with the kid and the broomstick?!?! That’s us Fellas!!

Also visually this was a gorgeous movie. The light speed missile cruiser was gorgeous how that was shot. Lots of real feeling heroism in this.

And what about the skifs on the salt charging the walkers?!? How amazing was that? It was all House of Flying Daggers or some Asian artistic stuff like a cavalry charge with long silk banners. Beautiful . Loved it

Thank you ALL so much for lowering my expectations so much. I had a great time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Cranberries, Not Sure, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Dec 2017 00:54 #259486 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Michael Barnes wrote: And I think returning the Force to a nobody kid looking up at the Stars was SOOO important to that end...it’s not about privileged, elite bloodlines. It got to the point where it was just assumed that Rey had to be part of this sort of galactic 1%.

There are a lot of people who just don't get broom boy and are speculating who his parentage is (in an encyclopaedia on TLJ he has the same surname as another minor character in a novel so clearly 'this was intended') and how he will appear in Episode IX as the new messiah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
22 Dec 2017 10:20 #259493 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: I really think using muppet Grover Yoda was one of the boldest most amazing choices I’ve seen in a movie like this in a long time. I even got emotional. That’s the Yoda I grew up with loving. He’s my favourite character as a kid watching Empire Strikes Back ans they totally brought him back!! I don’t want pensive Jedi Master CGI Yoda ever again. I hated that guy. He didn’t feel as real as a stupid muppet and that’s a dismal failure on the part of the prequels.

Me too! I think that was my favorite thing in the movie, to be honest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Dec 2017 10:40 - 22 Dec 2017 10:43 #259496 by Michael Barnes
Last edit: 22 Dec 2017 10:43 by Michael Barnes.

More
22 Dec 2017 10:42 #259497 by Michael Barnes
I actually sobbed a little. It was so powerful seeing that puppet. It took me right back to being 6 and seeing Empire in the theater with my parents.

That and Luke winking at Threepio were my two favorite things. I just love that he reassures his old friend, that he knows is a total basket case, that everything is going to be OK. It’s unspoken but so touching.

More
22 Dec 2017 14:32 #259508 by Grudunza
Saw it again last night. As was the case with Force Awakens, I loved it more. The first time for both it was just taking it in, hoping it wouldn't suck. Second time I could just let it entertain and appreciate more of the details.

One big example was with Luke and Yoda. I loved that scene the first time, but this time, knowing that this was Luke's final chapter, seeing that last image of the two of them sitting together looking at the burning tree was really stirring. I want a poster or print of that shot.

More
22 Dec 2017 17:55 #259510 by Cranberries
The main topic says "full spoilers" but the internal subject still reads "unintentional spoilers"

I feel violated.

More
22 Dec 2017 19:24 #259512 by Black Barney
well you shouldn't dress that way then
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, boothwah

More
22 Dec 2017 20:00 #259514 by Not Sure
Just got back from seeing this with my kids.

I don't understand why this is a controversial movie, because I don't fucking understand what's wrong with it. Who the fuck are these people?

I enjoyed this more than any Star Wars film I've seen since the 1980s. It actually made me interested in a universe and story that I'd left for dead. At one point, I was pretty sure I'd never watch another Star Wars movie (like halfway through Attack of the Clones, I think). I still have never seen Revenge of the Sith, because that Lucas bullshit drove me nuts.

If it weren't for my kids, I probably wouldn't have seen TFA or Rogue One, both of which I considered "mostly okay". We rewatched TFA last night to get a sense of where things were going, and I still felt very meh on it.

Within a few scenes of TLJ, I was surprised at how much I was enjoying myself. Literally haven't felt that in a Star Wars movie since I was a kid, or maybe past the first fifteen minutes or so of TPM in the theater, when I was trying hard. And yet, this movie (even with corny jokes and bullshit space physics) was trying to actually get beyond itself, develop some character, and possibly even say something about place in the world.

I really enjoyed it. If the jokes or bad dialogue ruined it for you, I'm sorry you couldn't see past it. I still have trouble with the dumber lines in A New Hope (which is most of them), but I see past it and remember what the movie made me feel. And most importantly, TLJ says "you can". That perfection is it's own trap, and being the best pilot or the strongest Jedi isn't the answer to life.

The space physics were ridiculous, but I've had eight movies to come to terms with that. (although, Pete, you're wrong about velocity. KE = mv2. Velocity is literally the one that's exponential there). It seems like the people who want to come down on this movie are mostly nitpicking scenes, and not seeing the story arc and the major beats. But whatever. I'll just say "show me on the Star Wars doll where it hurt you".

The most surprising thing to me about this film was that I came out enjoying Star Wars more than when I went in. I don't understand people with the opposite response at all. What had you been looking for all that time?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Cranberries, Black Barney, lj1983, Gregarius, ufe20, Vlad

More
22 Dec 2017 21:18 #259518 by Michael Barnes
And yet, this movie (even with corny jokes and bullshit space physics) was trying to actually get beyond itself, develop some character, and possibly even say something about place in the world.

THANK YOU

More
22 Dec 2017 22:29 - 22 Dec 2017 22:30 #259521 by BillyBobThwarton
Saw it last Saturday night. While the space bombs and Leia in space made me cock my head, I loved it. I thought Kylo destroying his helmet, Rey's parents being nobodies, and Snoke being taken out were exciting signs that they are going to open up that universe. Adam Driver was so good I think I'll finally be able to forget that one episode of Girls the wife and I watched. Rey on the island - that wasn't wooden acting. That was a desperate person shitting in her pants feeling like the fate of the universe depended on her getting Luke to come with. I had been worried that all these movies were going to be get tiring, but I am much more excited about what is to come than the prior expanded universe offered.

Had a weird experience leaving the theatre. I overheard some guy just cussing up a storm over how horrible it was. I enjoyed it so thoroughly that I think I actually convinced myself I had my first hallucination. Reading up on some of the dissent makes me realize it wasn't that.

I would also say that the film really bummed out my psyche. Yes, it was funny and thrilling, but man, was it only 15 people that survived? The falcon cannot hold too many folks. No back up came like in Rogue One? The numerous scenarios where the heroes tried hard and just blew it were so depressing for me that I've been meaning to queue up the space battle from Jedi to reset myself. Oh, and my 4 year old is going to be opening up his first Star Wars toy in a few days. The a-wing with Tallie...she's dead!

But ultimately, that was the Luke and the movie that I didn't know I wanted. I expect it's going to rank the highest for me of all the movies eventually.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2017 22:30 by BillyBobThwarton. Reason: spelling error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Black Barney, Gregarius, ufe20

More
23 Dec 2017 01:31 - 23 Dec 2017 01:32 #259525 by Jexik
Just saw it. Liked it quite a bit. I'll probably need to think more on it to create a long inequality of how I rank the entire series, but it had some great memorable moments. My favorite SW movie before was Rogue One and the Incredibles was at the top of the Superhero heap for a very long time...

Even simple stuff like Rey meditating on that mountain and being worried about falling into that hole... Just some cool visuals that were new for Star Wars. The whole scene with Rey and Kylo and Snoke was probably my favorite. I still wondered if she was gonna take his hand until she went for the lightsaber. Was he good now? NOPE! He just wanted to be top dog. The whole backstory with him and Luke was great too. I liked Kylo a lot more than in TFA.

The humor didn't bother me. Maybe one less "hold" statement, but it was fun to just see that guy sputtering. I liked the lack of fleshy backstories for Snoke and Rey. (I was hoping all along that Rey was a nobody, much as Anakin was, minus the midichlorian mumbojumbo).

Whenever something happens at just the right time or whatever, I remember that this happened in every other Star Wars movie, as well as tons of other movies that people love, such as The Dark Knight. When it gets down to it, a lot of these movies have plot holes, but they're entertaining to watch, and they're fantasy. Stupid movies can still be fun. Why was the ground made of snow that turned into red salt? Because it looked really cool, that's why. :D
Last edit: 23 Dec 2017 01:32 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds