October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

The Mad Dog Zone: Favorite F:AT Video Game System

More
23 Sep 2009 00:27 #42366 by Ryan B.
MattLoter wrote:

SNES for life!

Out of those three it's kinda unreasonable to have Wii in with the other two. It has such a different vibe and for me fills a very different niche. I don't know how I'd compare it to the other two in my mind really. It's definitely awesome though.

Of the other two, I'd go with 360, mostly because Live is just such a great implementation and for me being a dude that grew up always playing games with friends in the living room, it's really great to be able to get a lot of that same feeling with friends that are now spread out all over the place. Both have some exclusives that I'm way into, but at about an equal split. I think Live Arcade has better stuff than PSN though.

A lot of great stuff is also available on PC, which I think is way too often overlooked in the console wars. A lot of the best recent console stuff is on PC (Bioshock, L4D, Portal, Mass Effect), plus there are a bunch of PC exclusives that rule like Civ IV. Not to mention WoW.

It's a great and terrible time to be a gamer. So many great games, but that also means that I end up missing stuff or not playing it as much as I should because there is just TOO much.

Yea. That's the one thing I miss about video game systems now and the only drawback to PS3. Its no longer an interactive experience where you get to play with friends. SNES Ice Hockey. I remember about 5 or 6 of us waiting to take turns to play. One of my friends who is Greek, would F-Bomb the whole game and throw the controllers against the wall every time he would lose. That was worth every entertainment dollar spent on that system, right there.

And that is the one giant benefit of the Wii. I think the Wii gives a whole different vibe too... but its in this poll simply because I was curious about everyone's thoughts about the modern systems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2009 00:29 #42367 by Aarontu
The only modern console I'm interested in is the Wii, mostly because it's the only one my wife has any interest in.

More
23 Sep 2009 00:32 #42368 by Ryan B.
Aarontu wrote:

The only modern console I'm interested in is the Wii, mostly because it's the only one my wife has any interest in.

That's a good reason right there.

More
23 Sep 2009 00:39 #42369 by mikoyan
I have a PS3 and PC. I like my PS3. I have some fun games for it. But I'm mostly into the sports games and I think sports games are better on the console.

More
23 Sep 2009 05:09 - 23 Sep 2009 05:17 #42380 by southernman
Vote: PC

1. I can't play 1st person shooters to save myself.
2. You don't have to worry about trainingt your thumbs to race all over the control pad.
3. If I do have to play 1-p shooters then everyone being limited to a mouse and a few keyboard keys is a great way to keep me in a game a few seconds longer.
4. Best for turn-based or similar strategy games.

Note: I'm in a slightly offset generation to you all - by the time console games hit hard in the mid-80s (?) I was out in the workforce enjoying pubs, women, parties, alcohol, sports most nights and weekends a week so the only time I was in was really for eating and sleeping (or drinking). It wasn't until the mid-late 90s that I even got into PC games a bit more.
But my lad has an xbox360 and it's a pretty good beast. I bought it for him over the PS3 based on price, we didn't care about Blu-Ray, and his favourite game was Halo. He has a Wii but that has NEVER come out since he got the 360 at the beginning of the year.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 05:17 by southernman.

More
23 Sep 2009 07:50 #42387 by hacksword
Vote: PC
Runner-up: Turbografx-16

More
23 Sep 2009 07:58 #42388 by Nick Dalton
Xbox 360

The greatest piece of shit ever made. (I'm on my third one.) I almost always prefer to game with other people and no console supports multiplayer better than the Xbox. The interface is also really slick. They finally seem to have gotten the shoddy quality under control too.

If it wasn't for groups like AGE though, I probably wouldn't play it much at all. Most people over Live are Idiocracy level retarded.

I really wanted a Wii when it was impossible to get one, but I'm no longer interested. Too many of my friends don't touch their machines. If I had extra cash I'd pick up a DS though.

More
23 Sep 2009 09:52 - 23 Sep 2009 09:52 #42396 by Black Barney
vOTE: Xbox 360

The best video game console I've ever played. I was a HARDCORE Nintendo Fanboy up until the Wii. I can't believe how terrible the game library is for the Wii. So I switched to a 360 and haven't looked back. I've had incredible gaming experiences on this system and I love xboxlivemarketplace for downloading demos and trailers and new downloadable content. The controllers are BY FAR the best of the 3 gaming systems.

PS3 would be my 2nd choice because it has almost as good as a game library and can play BluRays. I hate their controllers like poison tho

In short: I think that a console is only as good as its games. Because the 360 has the best games, it's my favourite system.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 09:52 by Black Barney.

More
23 Sep 2009 09:53 - 23 Sep 2009 09:55 #42397 by lj1983
Nick Warcholak wrote:

Xbox 360

If it wasn't for groups like AGE though, I probably wouldn't play it much at all. Most people over Live are Idiocracy level retarded.

Xbox 360

I've never liked PS-style controllers, so when they came out I was very 'meh'. I might eventually buy one for blu-ray though.

to really get the most out of a 360, you need to find a group to play with and have fun with. random xboxlive Halo3 blows now a days. but get with a group, play some team matches, or a custom match and its alot of fun. teamfortress 2, rainbow six..any co-op. same story. I miss my RTS and other strategy games...but I got tired of investing time/money into the computer.

as for quality, yeah the 360 had issues (i finally got the RROD at the beginning of the year) but seeing as my first 360 followed me across the world twice through two different warzones...i was pretty impressed.

Wii...i dunno. mario galaxy was ok...but definetely felt like more of the same mario-3d stuff. same with mariocart. there just aren't many titles that attract me for wii. too much stuff uses the wiimote as a gimmick, or ignore it altogether. so, for now my wii sits and does nothing.

old-school roms? that's what my PSP is for.

I enjoyed boomblox and will probably pick up the sequel eventually. I also will get some sort of Guitarhero/rockband thing, but i'll pick it up for 360 instead of the wii because I can hook it up to my surround sound audio system.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 09:55 by lj1983.

More
23 Sep 2009 09:56 #42399 by Black Barney
yeah for Rock Band 2, Rock Band beatles, etc you defiantely need a good sound system to REALLY get the most of it

More
23 Sep 2009 10:03 - 23 Sep 2009 10:11 #42405 by lj1983
Black Barney wrote:

I hate their controllers like poison tho

QFT

of course, i loved the original xbox controller o' doom. it just felt right in the hands. that made the ps2 controllers feel like a dainty little thing in my hands.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 10:11 by lj1983.

More
23 Sep 2009 10:12 #42408 by Black Barney
ugh i hated those original xbox controllers so much. They made my hands hurt like crazy after a few hours of Halo.

The 360 controllers remind me of the gamecube controllers which I always thought were just perfect. Never got uncomfortable.

More
23 Sep 2009 10:37 #42409 by LilRed
Vote: PS3

I'm just not interested in what Microsoft has to offer gameswise. Gears of war (fighting crappy aliens no thanks) Halo (same thing crappy aliens) I actually enjoy games like Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, Infamous and Metal Gear Solid better. Then there are the PSN games which are great: WipeOut, Fat Princess, the Pixeljunk series, Siren: Blood curse. Then there is always the big titles which appear cross platform so you get those anyways (sometimes the DLC takes some time)

Then I use my playstation more for watching my fav tv shows and downloaded movies, blu-ray movies, and listen to music. It's really the entertainment center in our home.

More
23 Sep 2009 10:43 #42410 by ChristopherMD
At this point I think I'm waiting for the next next generation of consoles.

Playstation4

XBOX420

Nintendo Dick

More
23 Sep 2009 10:49 #42411 by Black Barney
i'm sad to read that hate for Gears of War. It's SUCH a great game :(

Halo 3 was good but nothing compared to the first Halo. They were never able to recreate that magic.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds