October 09, 2023
2702 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2867 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

The Mad Dog Zone: Favorite F:AT Video Game System

More
24 Sep 2009 15:53 #42587 by Black Barney
hmm.. I think you misquoted me. I never use language like that and I was fully *cough* aware that there were several consoles that played pong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2009 16:04 #42591 by ChristopherMD
Black Barney wrote:

hmm.. I still think you're an idiot. Even though I had no clue there were several consoles that played pong

I've had enough of your personal attacks. You're banned for two years.

[Octavian]Have a nice day![/Octavian]

More
24 Sep 2009 16:28 #42598 by Not Sure
I had one of those early Ponglikes as well. Mine was a multi-pong that had pong, breakout, and i think two other similar games, selected by a big fat switch.

My console history was:

That pong thing
Colecovision (venture was the shit, Michael)
The 2600 cart adapter for the colecovision
Apple //c (still have, haven't smoketested in a while)
Genesis (still have, with my Gunstar Heroes and Shadowrun carts)
NES (nostalgia purchased, still have with Metroid and Mario 3)
PCs
PS2 (still have but wonky)
Wii (wife pestered me into buying it, I play Lego games with the kids and GH)

To be honest, most of my best videogaming was in an arcade, or on my Apple //.
I played every system at one point or another, but didn't own that many of them.

My cousin had the Intellivision, and Sea Battle was fantastic. I spent enough time on
a SNES that I didn't need my own.

More
24 Sep 2009 16:31 #42600 by mikoyan
My systems:
Commodore 64 (Silent Service)
NES (Arch Rivals)
Sega Genesis (Whatever NHL game I had)
PS1 (Whatever NHL game I had)
PS2 (NCAA 06?)
PS3 (Not sure yet)
Various forms of PC's (All time favorite PC game for me was probably F-14 Fleet Defender by Microprose)

A friend of my had an Atari 2600 and I use to go over to his house all the time.

More
24 Sep 2009 20:15 - 24 Sep 2009 20:24 #42617 by Lagduf
MattLoter wrote:

You guys are amateur hour over here. Even Barnes is letting me down...

Consoles I currently have, most of which are connected to a TV still:
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Colecovision
Intellivision
NES
Genesis
Genesis 3 (same thing only smaller!)
32X
Sega CD
SNES
Gameboy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Gamegear
Lynx
N64
PS1
Dreamcast
XBox
PS2
Gamecube
DS
Wii
PC (from the mid 80's on up and Apple IIe)

PS3 ought be on the way within 6 months now that the slim dropped.
I wouldn't mind getting a Neo Geo but that ain't gonna happen.

Everything else I'd grab at a tag sale or something for way cheap but I'm in no rush.

No Sega Saturn? [this is the true crime]

No Sega CDX, CD-i, JVC X'Eye, 3D0, etc, etc, etc

Talk about amateur hour. Sheeesh.

I don't have a Neo Geo Home System but I do have Neo Geo MVS Carts + 2 slot Motherboard and the means to play it on my Television [a device called a Supergun - that I built - it's easy, trust me]. Seriously, if you want Neo Geo and want to be able to AFFORD it you need to go the arcade MVS route. It's probably the most friendly arcade hardware to get in to and most carts are reasonably priced.

But I must say this "how hardcore am I based on how many consoles I own" E-penis measuring contest is pretty lame.

I used to have a lot of consoles. I sold them all. Too much junk hanging around, too much of a pain to keep everything hooked up. I loved all the games, I have great memories of the games, but it was time for them to go.

Now I try to only keep around the current and previous generations of consoles in my home for practical reasons.

Arcade hardware aside, of course.

I could probably stand to cull some of my board games too, but my buying is down to only a few titles a year anymore, so i'm not too worried at the moment.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2009 20:24 by Lagduf.

More
24 Sep 2009 23:57 #42633 by jeb
Lagduf wrote:

But I must say this "how hardcore am I based on how many consoles I own" E-penis measuring contest is pretty lame.

Agreed. I started it off, but that was to establish my credentials as someone who's been console playing from ye olden tymes. I'm a conscientious consumer, and my options to essentially avoid the PS3 are well founded. the Wii, as a gaming experience is awesome. The online is shit. Looking to Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 for that outlet leads me to pretty much XBox 360 down the line. I don't have a need for Blu-Ray, and it's cheaper. If PS3 was still backwards compatible, this would have been WAAAAAAAY harder, but without BC? there's no question.

More
25 Sep 2009 11:24 #42701 by MattFantastic
Hey I never said I was hardcore, just that most everyone else was blowing it.

My digital dong is a solid 7.

More
25 Sep 2009 11:44 #42706 by Michael Barnes
There is a rising tide of "taking things too seriously" here at F:AT...very troubling.

I saw the console history more as a fun way to talk about what systems we've owned and we'd get to see who had what...and it was fun to be on the recieving in of some trash talk diappointment from Matt.

Besides, it was way for me to plead with F:ATties to help a brother get a 360.

I HAVE NEVER EVEN PLAYED BIOSHOCK! :-(

More
25 Sep 2009 11:49 #42708 by Not Sure
Yeah, if I was worried about cred, I would have hidden my lame-ass console list somewhere and pretended this thread didn't exist.

I saw the console listing thing as being more about "here's where I'm coming from" than "look at all the fukkin places I've been!"

Like I said, I blew off large swaths of console play in favor of spending time in arcades. There used to be a social aspect to videogaming as well. The nerds must have killed it. They're always to blame.

Plus, every single console implementation of pinball is just a poor substitute, even those crazy multi-level Neo-Geo pinballs that are practically adventure games.

More
25 Sep 2009 11:52 #42710 by Ken B.
Wasn't trying to do the e-peen thing. It's just fun to walk down memory lane with the different consoles I've owned. I realize that I'm more "hardcore" than some, far less "hardcore" than others.

I just likes talking about me some video games.

More
25 Sep 2009 12:09 #42713 by Michael Barnes
There used to be a social aspect to videogaming as well.

Yes, back when arcades were poorly lit, rather seedy, and had ashtrays built into the cabinets. Man, I miss those days.

Plus, every single console implementation of pinball is just a poor substitute, even those crazy multi-level Neo-Geo pinballs that are practically adventure games.

Have you tried the Williams Pinball collection on Wii? I think it's just now coming out for 360/PS3. It's _awesome_. OF course, it is a substitute for the real thing, but they're really well done, and they're real Williams tables. There's a nice selection of classic machines, and it's the only place I know of that I can play the incredible FIREPOWER. BLACK KNIGHT, PINBOT, GORGAR, SORCEROR...top tables. Great physics, and the Wii control setup is perfect for a little silver ball action.

More
25 Sep 2009 12:12 #42715 by Juniper
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's _awesome_.

Agreed.

More
25 Sep 2009 12:38 #42723 by Space Ghost
I have NES and Xbox 360.

Played some Super Tecmo Bowl, Gauntlet, and Shadowgate the other day -- that was a nice stroll down memory lane.

For Xbox, just played some Call of Duty and get the occasional GH 5 game in -- really just don't have too much time to devote to videogames and boardgames; it often becomes one or the other. Boardgames are usually a little more inclusive for my friends and family, so they often get the nod.

More
25 Sep 2009 13:38 - 25 Sep 2009 13:39 #42731 by Ryan B.
Not Sure wrote:

Yeah, if I was worried about cred, I would have hidden my lame-ass console list somewhere and pretended this thread didn't exist.

I saw the console listing thing as being more about "here's where I'm coming from" than "look at all the places I've been!"

I second this motion. There was no way that I thought anyone's list was really truly about gaining "cred" and I genuinely think Matt Loter's e-mail was just a little bit of harmless smacktalk. I didn't see it as anyone's attempt to show anyone else up.

Hey man, it's nostalgia! I had fun talking about it... and it was really interesting for me to see just how many people had Intellivision.

I enjoyed the console lists.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2009 13:39 by Ryan B..

More
25 Sep 2009 13:42 #42732 by ChristopherMD
HAS F:AT IMPLODED???

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds