October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recommend me some new music

More
04 Oct 2014 11:30 #188087 by engineer Al
NEW MUSIC:

I have been listening to the last two CDs by Bob Mould. SILVER AGE in particular is quite good. Hard rockin trio music.

MUSIC NEW TO ME:

A friend turned me on to the band Luna by playing their BEWITHCHED album and I can't stop listening to it. Jangly psychedelic rock with a heavy VU influence but still very much their own thing.

MUSIC EVERYONE NEEDS TO HEAR:

I think the album I missed the most when all our stuff went into storage was A NORTHERN SOUL by The Verve. Shoegazer band puts out a surprisingly melodic and solid rock & roll album. Unfortunately it was so good it caused ego problems that split up the band. One of my top 10 of all time. Since we got our stuff back it hasn't left the CD player in my car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2014 12:15 #188089 by MattFantastic
Barnes and anyone else blown away by Deafheaven but unable to find anything like it...

Envy is amazing and used to do some similar stuff. All the Footprints... is on Spotify. Less epic somewhat.

See if you can find any earlier Naiad records, there is one on Spotify but it's way newer and not very good.

Both are from Japan, and there are a few other bands who I can't remember that were part of that scene... maybe Husking Bee?

What about ISIS?

There were a bunch of bands doing really similar stuff to Deafheaven back in the late 90s/early 00s indie punk scene. Depending on which aspects you dig the most there are more suggestions I can make, though it was never exactly what I was super into so I'm kinda limited and will need to probably dig out old records to remember the names of things haha. Lots of old Hydra Head, Level Plane, Magic Bullet, even Relapse was putting out some stuff I'd call similar.

More
04 Oct 2014 13:53 #188093 by Josh Look
Luna is pretty great, Al.

The new Gerard Way solo album, "Hesitant Alien," is surprisingly awesome.

More
08 Oct 2014 10:07 - 08 Oct 2014 10:19 #188274 by Mr. White
If you like Gaslight Anthem, then check out Titus Andronicus...I'd start with 'The Monitor'. Sort of a concept album about The Civil War, A break-up...and New Jersey.

If you're liking The Clash and 70's era punk, then check out The Skids. Very underrated band that have been covered by everyone from U2 to Green Day to Street Dogs. 'The Very Best of The Skids' (2003) should be fine. The guitarist later formed Big Country which itself is a hugely underrated band and is much more than just that one-hit song. Stuart Adamson's entire catalog from The Skids to Big Country to his later alternative country stuff is all fantastic.

If you like The Misfits or that sort of thing, then check out American Werewolves. Start with 'The Lonely Ones'.

EDIT: I think I brought them up a year or two ago, but still not enough Americans are listening to the kings of Italian glam...GIUDA. check out the song 'White Tiger Woman'

If you're into the sort of music to listen to on road trips, opening it up on country roads, or beer soaked dancehalls (and you should), I can't recommend any higher the following four bands and albums:

Turnpike Troubadors - 'Diamonds and Gasoline'
Dirty River Boys - 'Science of Flight'
Damn Quails - 'Down the Hatch'
Lucero - 'Women and Work'

Also, The Smoking Popes nods are tops. One of the greatest American acts to come out of the 90s.

Finally, unbelievably, this year seems to be the 20th anniversary of Morrissey's classic, 'Vauxhall and I' on top of that it appears he may have cancer. Get the Moz.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 10:19 by Mr. White.

More
08 Oct 2014 10:48 #188281 by stormseeker75
Smoking Popes did not work for me at all. I couldn't stand the singer.

More
09 Oct 2014 10:12 #188355 by Mr. White
Sorry to hear that. They were easily my favorite of the alternative acts of the 90s. I'd still go see them live.

Here's another one though, in fact I was just turned onto them last night... JEFF the Brotherhood. I'm only familiar with the album 'We Are the Champions' atm, but check out the song Stay Up Late. Very Dee Dee Ramones-like.

More
10 Oct 2014 05:43 #188413 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: Recommend me some new music
Went to see the Allah-Las yesterday and it was very fine.

More
10 Oct 2014 09:21 #188420 by wkover

stormseeker75 wrote: Smoking Popes did not work for me at all. I couldn't stand the singer.

Out of everything recommended, is there anything that you've liked? I now realize that you're deficient in some way because you don't like the Smoking Popes, for example. :)

Anyway, that would give folks some guidance on what else to recommend.

It's possible that your thread worked better for others than for you. Hey, I purchased a Clutch album as a result. So I got my money's worth.

More
10 Oct 2014 09:31 #188422 by stormseeker75
I liked Spoon. I need to listen to more of their stuff. I realized that I like the Clash more than I thought I did.

I definitely don't like black metal.

So yes, I'm getting something out of this.

Saw Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat, and Hellyeah the other night. I do sort of love Hellyeah now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
10 Oct 2014 09:55 #188424 by stormseeker75
Listening to Loter's suggestion of Modern Baseball right now. LOVE IT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic

More
10 Oct 2014 10:14 - 10 Oct 2014 10:16 #188427 by Ochobee
Give Transfer a shot- they fall into that same straight-up rock vibe that Spoon does.

Edit: Fuck if I can figure out embedding video.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2014 10:16 by Ochobee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
10 Oct 2014 10:29 #188429 by wkover
Spoon vaguely reminds me of The Hives (Tyrannosaurus Hives) and The Stooges (Raw Power).

Hellyeah puts me in the mood for Soilwork (Stabbing the Drama, Panic Broadcast, Figure Number 5, Natural Born Chaos). The Soilwork singer(s) alternate between screamy and smooth, and their (old) guitarist is both groovy and amazing.

For an extremely arcane reference, Hellyeah also makes me want to listen to the Wrathchild America 3-D album again.

Modern Baseball doesn't sound like anything I own or recognize, except maybe the first Violent Femmes album (and only because of the singer).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
10 Oct 2014 10:46 #188432 by stormseeker75
So I tried Tokyo Police Club....too happy sounding. I'm not a happy guy, I don't like happy sounding music except maybe The Killers.

Punch was too hardcore for me. Not enough melody.

Now, time for The Fall as per Barnes. Let's see what this is all about. Then I've got Slint's "Spiderland" and Grimes' "Visions" queued up.

More
10 Oct 2014 10:48 #188433 by MattFantastic

stormseeker75 wrote: Listening to Loter's suggestion of Modern Baseball right now. LOVE IT!

Check out the Front Bottoms next then. I got into them thanks to none other than the way too cool for her age little Rose. It's weird when the kids are turning you onto awesome new records!

More
10 Oct 2014 11:05 #188438 by stormseeker75
The Fall did not work for me in any sort of way.

Loter, I do like the Front Bottoms. I had heard them a while back. I think Spotify recommended them to me because I like Against Me or something.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds