October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What board games are you NOT buying?

More
22 Sep 2015 15:33 - 22 Sep 2015 16:16 #211131 by Sagrilarus

Stonecutter wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Agree with comments on BTTR. In the same vein as Repo's rejection of Grand Tactical Series, I love me some OCS but can't pull the trigger on this one, at the moment.

Not buying any of Verssen's games.

Buying from someone slightly to the right of Hitler annoys me. I do have standards.

Aw man, seriously? I didn't know that. Damn it.

Nor did I. He seemed very nice in email. Does anyone know what Andy is referring to? Did he publish something?

Talon: Fleet Combat in Defense of Earth (GMT by the way, not Verssen) is still calling out to me. The designer is running Talon Tuesday, a weekly entry on GMT's blog showing examples of play and I'll tell you what -- it appears to be Star Fleet Battles without all the minutiae. I likely won't be able to get my buddies to play on our weekly gaming nights, but I have a big-ass game store opening a couple of miles from my house so I may find an opponent there if I get it.

Those chits are two inches across, and you write on them with a dry-erase marker to maintain the state of the ship. They've essentially boiled the ship's stats down enough so that they fit onto the map instead of being on a separate sheet of paper like in SFB

Star Fleet Battles was a big game horizontally -- thousands of rules but each set corresponding to particular factions or even particular ships or ship systems. Talon looks much more streamlined and their intention is to keep it much simpler. Still has impulse movement, shield facings, weapon facings, etc., and even retains some of the lingo from Star Trek which surprises me considering it isn't a Star Trek branded title. Bad guys shoot disruptors, good guys phasers, etc. But the movement and shooting seem to be streamlined enough that you stand a chance to teach it in a short-attention-span world.

Haven't sprung for it yet. But I'm considering it. I may see if I can corner the designer for a brief interview for an article here.

S.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 16:16 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2015 15:54 #211133 by SuperflyPete
I have to admit, I'm digging it too. It looks really good.

More
22 Sep 2015 17:08 - 22 Sep 2015 17:09 #211147 by Gary Sax
That looks neat. Is it the Space Empires guy?
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 17:09 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Sep 2015 22:07 #211166 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: That looks neat. Is it the Space Empires guy?

Yes it is. He's talking about have them work in conjunction like a campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Sep 2015 08:23 #211177 by Mr. White

sagrilarus wrote:

Jim Krohn? Also the Band of Brothers guy?

More
23 Sep 2015 12:49 #211194 by Sagrilarus

Mr. White wrote:

sagrilarus wrote:

Jim Krohn? Also the Band of Brothers guy?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Sep 2015 17:03 #211355 by R.P.Kraul

Frohike wrote: Not sold on The Others: 7 Sins.

I know some folks here have jumped on board, and it's Eric Lang & all, etc. But everything about this is just off-kilter for me and not in a good way. The sins being incorporated as variations of tentacally blobs is boring and tame. The vibe comes off as trying to be "extreme" in a teenage variant of Garbage Pail Kids that doesn't really carry any kind of transgressive air to it (look out for those corrupted hobos, always stealing your shit amirite?). I'm surprised nothing has punny names yet. It's basically just a bunch of Cthulhu crap with arbitrary "sin" tags. The Hell Club (... really?) wears some bondage stuff, I guess. How Matrixey!

I was excited by this originally, but after doing more research after the KS launch, I changed my mind. Artwork of the blandest sort from top to bottom. Not sure why they went the Cthulhu route with the monsters. Traditional demons would have worked better. And all the videos I've seen depict a bland game.

Between that and CMON's KS campaign ... no thanks. There's a good bit of more interesting horror out there already.

More
02 Oct 2015 09:06 #211765 by Sagrilarus
I just swapped up. I'm on the prepub for Talon now, off of Silent Victory.

GMT's blog has run a couple of entries for Talon on its gameplay and it looks good. They're doing a simple version of it for the moment, leaving off missiles and fighters but the concept is there. I just love the impulse system for movement and actions, and Talon seems to be adding a nice twist to it. The most recent entry speaks to the backstory which appears quite good as well, with a sort of Basilisk Station feel to it.

Silent Victory still looks good, but likely I'll get one of these at half price if I buy the other prepub, so it doesn't make sense to be on both.

S.

More
02 Oct 2015 10:05 #211774 by SuperflyPete
I've decided against going in on Shadows of Malice. As much as I admire the guy for having the balls and vision to self-publish, and as awesome as it sounds, there are some things that I cannot tolerate. The rolling of random monsters is one of them, despite knowing that a random monster table is a hallmark mechanic for most of the best adventure games. Give me a chit, because I fucking hate charts for the most part. The other is the fact that there's no miniatures or standies. It's a cop out to say that it's "brave" and "forces you to use your imagination". Tell me anyone has been playing Zork again, and I'll be proven wrong.

I'm just spoiled, and I accept that.

More
02 Oct 2015 10:07 #211775 by Gary Sax
There are some old school, regressive parts of Shadows of Malice but I would say that the random monsters are not one of them.

More
02 Oct 2015 11:23 - 02 Oct 2015 11:24 #211780 by Space Ghost

SuperflyTNT wrote: I've decided against going in on Shadows of Malice. As much as I admire the guy for having the balls and vision to self-publish, and as awesome as it sounds, there are some things that I cannot tolerate. The rolling of random monsters is one of them, despite knowing that a random monster table is a hallmark mechanic for most of the best adventure games. Give me a chit, because I fucking hate charts for the most part. The other is the fact that there's no miniatures or standies. It's a cop out to say that it's "brave" and "forces you to use your imagination". Tell me anyone has been playing Zork again, and I'll be proven wrong.

Well, I'm playing Moria/Angband -- imagination is required since you are an "@" symbol that fights upper and lower case monsters (all randomly generated)

P.S. Shadows of Malice is great, so there is that.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 11:24 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
02 Oct 2015 11:53 - 02 Oct 2015 11:55 #211782 by Mr. White

Space Ghost wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: I've decided against going in on Shadows of Malice. As much as I admire the guy for having the balls and vision to self-publish, and as awesome as it sounds, there are some things that I cannot tolerate. The rolling of random monsters is one of them, despite knowing that a random monster table is a hallmark mechanic for most of the best adventure games. Give me a chit, because I fucking hate charts for the most part. The other is the fact that there's no miniatures or standies. It's a cop out to say that it's "brave" and "forces you to use your imagination". Tell me anyone has been playing Zork again, and I'll be proven wrong.

Well, I'm playing Moria/Angband -- imagination is required since you are an "@" symbol that fights upper and lower case monsters (all randomly generated)

P.S. Shadows of Malice is great, so there is that.

Adding to that, I'm constantly playing TITAN on ACTS (usually along with several F:ATties) and it looks like this:

The sparse, minimal interface doesn't detract for me at all. I seem to carry a lot of the imagery in my head.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 11:55 by Mr. White.

More
02 Oct 2015 12:10 #211783 by Space Ghost
Speaking of which, when is the next game commencing? I have been out for several weeks now...

More
02 Oct 2015 12:14 #211784 by Mr. White
My last game ended yesterday. I'll send out an email here shortly for a game to start Monday morning.

More
02 Oct 2015 12:59 #211790 by SuperflyPete
I guess the irony is that one of my all time favorite games is the old DOS, ASCII "Dungeon of the Necromancer's Domain", which looks like a bag of crumpled up assholes.

www.classicdosgames.com/game/Dungeons_of...mancer's_Domain.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds