October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Trek: Ascendancy

More
04 Oct 2016 13:27 #235483 by Michael Barnes
There really isn't any way to take them away though, so there is an element of inevitability to the game.

The ability to take away Ascendancy would make this a ten hour game and it also wouldn't make much sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2016 14:23 #235484 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
I've seen 2 Conquest victories. You can wreck people if you can connect and push them. No one can win without their home world which is a big deal.

More
04 Oct 2016 16:34 #235493 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

Michael Barnes wrote: There really isn't any way to take them away though, so there is an element of inevitability to the game.

The ability to take away Ascendancy would make this a ten hour game and it also wouldn't make much sense.

Thats kind of what I figured. The guy who played it is more a pure wargamer than AT player, so I see where he was coming from.

More
08 Oct 2016 11:58 - 08 Oct 2016 12:00 #235803 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
​I played my first game of Star Trek Ascendancy. Three player; I was the Federation. My two opponents didn't have the best time playing this, but I think it was due to a bad draw on their parts and a great draw on mine. My first three systems were civilizations that I was able to hegemonize easily or by a good roll. So I came right out of the gate with a lot of resource production. My opponents, on the other hand, drew virtually no civs, so no chance for hegemony. Of the first six systems drawn by the Romulan player, five had hazards, and only one of them had a civ. The Klingons had a similar barren part of the galaxy.

I realize that they could just colonize those planets, but with very little access to Culture, and the much longer time to resource generation, they were really struggling. At this point I had two Ascendancy, a couple large fleets, and in order to stave off some bitterness, I eased off progressing and just started making first contacts to try to offer them trade agreements to help with some resources. The Romulan player refused, and the Klingon player didn't get much out of it. A bit after this we called the game for time. I had three ascendancy, Romulans and Klingons had two. The Romulan player was thinking he was just getting into a position to come out strong. The Klingons had nothing going for them.

They want to try again to see if they just got fucked by a really bad draw. For my part, I really liked it, even discounting my great start. I want to try the Klingons next, since they seem kind of difficult to use.

A few questions for those that have played it:

1) Does the Federation start out strong while the other two take a while to get going?
2) How many turns usually pass before first contact? Because we went quite a while without it. And even then I just forced it for the sake of the game.
3) Because the Klingons are so combat focused, is there any point in them trying to get a trade agreement?
4) The Romulan player suggested that maybe the game really takes off at Ascendancy level 3 and 4. How true is that?
Last edit: 08 Oct 2016 12:00 by Disgustipater.

More
08 Oct 2016 12:42 #235804 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
In our game, the Romulans started strong. Part of this was due to masterfully pitting the Federeation and Klingons against each other. Not with anything mechanical, mind you, this was entirely with above the table, social stuff.

The Federation seemed to get fucked over by not getting a single culture the entire game with their special ability.

The Klingons started slow, got their weapons to 3+ and started to conquer everything in sight late game, eventually winning via tiebreaker with the Romulans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
08 Oct 2016 13:14 #235805 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
We did play with one rule wrong, that being we forgot to steal projects when taking over planets with research nodes. I think this is most advantageous to the Federation in that their faction is geared to hegemony and thus the intact capture of enemy installations. With Romulans and even more so with the Klingons, when conquering planets with military might, they are far more likely to blow that stuff up rather than capture it.

So, the Federation was a bit hamstrung in our game. Being forced to devoting resources to military through Josh Look's unmitigated aggression also sapped my ability to win.

Also, as to my poor play, you'll have to excuse me. I had had some Romulan Ale.

I think we had contact by turn three. I think the trade agreements are a huge boost in the early game when developing worlds without civs. In Disgust's example, the Klingon who was forced to colonize could really have used those extra resources to build the installations needed for growth.

More
08 Oct 2016 14:35 #235807 by Michael Barnes
The trade agreements really incentivize early contact, but that is all player dependent.

Ascendancy levels 1-2 really set up the rest of the game, which is why the tempo shifts when somebody hits 3.

More
08 Oct 2016 16:14 #235808 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Still waiting for it to arrive in the UK, some of the online shops I use don't even have a price to put up for it yet.

More
08 Oct 2016 17:33 #235811 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Supply is limited at the moment in the US, preorders have been out of stock for a while.

More
08 Oct 2016 17:42 #235812 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Supply is limited at the moment in the US, preorders have been out of stock for a while.

Yeah, CSI has been on backorder for several weeks.

More
08 Oct 2016 18:21 #235814 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Apparently it's been showing up in waves, as people are finding it in the shelves in stores, but all of the online vendors still haven't received any. Wondering if that shipping company bankruptcy made them split their shipments up.

More
12 Oct 2016 09:44 #235968 by Msample

More
12 Oct 2016 12:41 - 12 Oct 2016 12:41 #235977 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Oh man, I've been watching this and I cannot take it. On one hand, sure, Kickstarter project, get mad at GF9. But RETAIL product? Are you fucking stupid? Don't preorder a retail product from a game store and then get mad at the publisher for delays---they weren't taking money from you for on-time product. WTF?
Last edit: 12 Oct 2016 12:41 by Gary Sax.

More
12 Oct 2016 13:03 #235978 by Msample
Gotta love a good ole BGG nerd rager. I'll agree that GS9 has seemingly if not botched, at least had a bumpy release and have been pretty quiet about it. On the other hand, those proposing that brick and mortar pre orders somehow get communicated up the distribution chain just illustrate the stupidity of the average BGG poster.

More
12 Oct 2016 13:18 #235980 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Amazon has had it at full MSRP or higher for awhile now, but I see they're expecting some in tomorrow (10/13) that are at a somewhat discounted price ($90). This could be the answer to when we can expect it to hit online retailers.

FWIW, GF9 has been saying that it would be hitting stores over three weeks, this makes week 3. BGG users could stand to learn that BGG is not the hobby as a whole and publishers don't need to pay attention to their little pocket universe. However, I do think fulfilling orders should take priority over having stock for conventions. I'd hate to find out they're selling it at Essen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds