October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
15 Apr 2017 09:34 #246594 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon

barrowdown wrote: Frontline Gaming is doing a pre-order sale on their 3'x3' and 4'x4' mats ($40 and $55 respectively) through April 21st with free shipping at the end of April. They make theirs with the mousepad material (neoprene backing)

I didn't see one that looked "underhive".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2017 12:10 #246599 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
If you want an alternative Gothic terrain Pegasus Hobbies has some nice ones

Pegasus Hobbies gaming

Less skulls and eagles but also more generic and will fit in anything from fantasy to WWII Europe.

They also sell Hexagon, Syberclicks, and a Chemical plant.

A few other people sell it as well.

More
15 Apr 2017 15:19 #246605 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I have Pegasus Gothic City Ruins, which is awesome for any miniatures game (played it with Malifaux, AoS and Vedros). So I bought Gothic City Buildings... and don't like the that much because there're no floors, so it basically keeps action on the ground level. The frustrating thing is that there're actual holes for floors and the previous set had them. So I assume there's flooring somewhere.

More
15 Apr 2017 21:46 #246611 by Michael Barnes
Stupid Charlie has to go and post pictures and stuff to make me lose my resolve...then I saw Chaos Orc had a Manufactorum for $26. So I bought that and the Unobtanium, I mean, Promethium Relay pipes. And since I sold our NES Classic for $300 (I mean, come on) I got the Galvanic Magnavent set.

The Armored Container set is really awesome. You wouldn't think plastic boxes would be cool, but they are. Of course, it's 40k so even the shipping containers have gothic arches. The barrels and crates it comes with are perfect scatter for the game too and you get a bunch of them.

Oh, and the game is fucking great. It's amazing that revisiting a 20 year old game that I haven't played for at least 15 has revealed how accessible and fun the system still is. I think that barring a complete overhaul in 8th edition, this may actually be the best way to play 40k. I played it with a friend of mine who had never played Necromunda but is hard into 40k from 5th on...now he's building KTs and swearing off "big" 40k. Like he said, the skirmish level and lower model counts, lower cost of entry just makes more sense given the competition it has today.

My son and I were just rolling earlier today. I had a Skitarii with a Galvanic Rifle posted up as a sniper, trying to keep his Tau from reaching a control panel. This bastard missed his shot SEVEN times including three 1s. Another one of my guys blew his entire Radium Carbine ammo stock on his very first shot, which bounced.

I've been playing 500 point games with him and sort of easing into the rules. Started with moving and shooting, then H2H, then munitions, then psychology. Games are taking about 30 minutes- perfect for us
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames

More
15 Apr 2017 22:00 #246614 by Vlad
I think I need to start buying terrain. Barnes, have you seen the bundles at Docs Discounts? You think they're worth it?
Like, if I get the 129$ one, will it be a enough to run a game?

More
15 Apr 2017 22:21 - 15 Apr 2017 22:23 #246617 by Michael Barnes
Well, you would almost be doubling what you have in the main box. The main box is one of each of the seven sprues but I think you get an extra walkway sprue. It's definitely a good deal on price, but I think two of those sets are less desirable (Alchomite Stack and Ferratonic Furnace). The stack has no walkways, just blocking terrain. It is the only set that has the dome though. The Furnace has the two half-hexagon walkways and the large "can" that actually can be used as a support. I think that barring a second box set, the better value is to get two of the Galvanic Magnavents or wait for the Ferratonic Incinerator and Promethium Forge sets to come out- they both will have the walkway sprues. Two Magnavent would be less than the bundle deal too.

One set is enough to play. Adding more just makes it more awesome.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2017 22:23 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
15 Apr 2017 22:38 #246618 by hotseatgames
I was buying some paint today and the guy behind the counter said his boss said that Necromunda itself was coming back at the end of the year. I don't know, seems reasonable due to the popularity of this.

More
15 Apr 2017 22:45 #246619 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadow War: Armageddon

Michael Barnes wrote: I think that barring a complete overhaul in 8th edition, this may actually be the best way to play 40k.

Agreed. Though I doubt even an overhaul of 40k will make me play it again.

I was a fan of the kill teams rules in 4th ed, but this allows each side to be characterful, instead of just one against an army of brutes.

Its good stuff. I hope gw expands this, but even if not, I don't think it will be too hard to do. I'm already tweaking a iyanden list for this. Only three models fit in 1k pts. But I don't mind those odds. The wraithguard are tough, but a single casualty is pretty crippling.

More
15 Apr 2017 22:58 #246620 by Michael Barnes
I was thinking today that I really kind of don't care if GW does anything with it from here. I have seven of the available factions and the rules really do not need anything added to them. If you want a faction that's not covered, it's pretty easy to just work out stats based on what's already there. And a new faction is just a White Dwarf article away anyway.

I don't think Necromunda is really coming back, I think that was something GW talked about a year or two ago before this happened. It would be kind of dumb to do a full blown Necromunda release after this. Two or three generations of players have no clue who Cawdor is. What I think they will do is a limited release of the classic metal gangs with rules modified for SWA (which is to say, not much).

There is the Necromunda video game coming too. Which is where GW likes to send its "retired" IP...like Mordheim, BFG, and The Old World.

More
16 Apr 2017 19:28 #246644 by Vlad
By the way, the Necromunda video game is being developed by the same studio that did Mordheim. I read an interview with their CEO a few months ago, and although I really sympathised with the guy (typical eastern european underdog studio), there was nothing there that made me think Necromunda would turn better. But I'd be very happy to be wrong.

I agree with Barnes that Necromunda resurrection will probably be limited to a re-release of old gangs sculpts and rules for them. The thing is, everyone I talked to is excited about the possibility of playing skirmish games with existing minis from 40K. If it was a specialized game with new minis, I don't think it would have turned that popular. Case in point, what happened to Gangs of Comorragh, is anyone playing it?

Also, from personal perspective, I don't remember one thing about the old gangs. But I have a certain familiarity with 40K lore and while perusing the rules for different kill teams I found that on the whole they did stuff that I expected them to. It makes getting into the game so much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Apr 2017 08:03 #246652 by hotseatgames
Started assembling the terrain last night, and promptly ran out of super glue. So I'll get back to that tonight, but it did give me the opportunity to work more on the skitarii. I also got spendy and bought the same mat that Michael got, but 3x4, and ordered the manufactorum armoured container set, a pain boy ork, and the tyranid warrior box.

More
17 Apr 2017 08:46 - 17 Apr 2017 08:48 #246659 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I have the GW pipe set and it's pretty solid. Also have one of the Pegasus Gothic Ruin sets and put that together and painted it up, looks pretty nice with walkways shooting over and around it. Waiting until July for that Promethium Forge stuff is going to be difficult.

Barnes - concerning buildings, I recall in the original Necromunda sourcebook there was a picture of the hive and details about the upper class living near the top of the spire. There was also those spyre dudes you could hire who were basically rich boys looking to have some fun killing shit with their high tech gear that came from there. I believe in the upper class area it was all buildings and not quite so industrial. So it makes sense for the lower hive to be a crumbling lower class with structures and settlements in addition to metal walkways/industrial vats. I recall there being ruins as a location as well in Necromunda and I always pictured those as more buildings than just collapsed walkways.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2017 08:48 by charlest.

More
17 Apr 2017 15:07 #246685 by Vlad
I played in GW store and it was on an Imperial city block, with lots of debris, some containers and abandoned vehicles. There was only one tower (where I managed to get my sniper early on), and some buildings were 2-stories, but not connected among themselves. The thing is, even though it was not very vertical, there were several access points on the street level, and the irregular cover favored outflanking. In terms of tactical options&limitations it reminded me very much of XCom - having 2-4 viable options and agonizing over them.

More
17 Apr 2017 15:30 #246688 by Michael Barnes
Oh, you can play this system in any terrain- don't be led to believe that you can only do industrial walkways and so forth. You could do just open field games with it. Buy a couple of Deathworld Forest sets and go to town.

I found a good deal on some out of box Cadians with a Kommisar for $30. Couldn't resist. Kind of was thinking about doing Steel Legion guys since that is thematically appropriate, but wasn't worth $20-$30 more.

More
17 Apr 2017 16:47 #246693 by Vlad
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Columbob, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, charlest, Mantidman, barrowdown

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds