October 09, 2023
2798 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2938 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Board Game Philosophy Club

More
27 Apr 2009 16:12 #27116 by dysjunct
You guys are all way off. If you asked Eugene what his favorite game piece is, he'd obviously say THE BOX.

Especially if it's a nice, linen-textured one in the standard size. The art should be in some soothing earth tones and show a clear picture of the guy you're trying to impress. He should look confidant and mean so you know he is serious business. And the box should have a number on the side so you can tell where it goes in the company's series. The lid should NOT be too difficult to take off, or the entire internet will hear about it.

(Second-favorite piece: a nice insert.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2009 16:56 #27129 by ChristopherMD
Black Barney wrote:

My friends, family and I really like El Grande. A couple weeks ago (after 2 years of playing the base version) we finally tried a foray into the expansions. First step: Intrigue & The King.

WHAT A PILE. In the course of 1 game, we had about 13 questions we couldn't really answer. I think there was like zero playtesting of this game. Ugh

I had the opposite reaction and I don't want to play the game without that expansion now. We had only 1 question, which was answered in the rulebook FAQ.

More
27 Apr 2009 17:05 #27131 by Michael Barnes
There's a great way to avoid any confusion the EL GRANDE expansion may cause- don't play it or the base game ever again. It's amazing, but after I stopped playing EL GRANDE I never had any further rules questions about it again.

Best response to EL GRANDE ever- sometime back in '96 or '97, whenever it was we first played it at Dragon Con, a friend of mine says in the middle of the game "What is this, fucking MANCALA?"

More
27 Apr 2009 17:05 #27132 by NeonPeon
dysjunct wrote:

You guys are all way off. If you asked Eugene what his favorite game piece is, he'd obviously say THE BOX.

Especially if it's a nice, linen-textured one in the standard size. The art should be in some soothing earth tones and show a clear picture of the guy you're trying to impress. He should look confidant and mean so you know he is serious business. And the box should have a number on the side so you can tell where it goes in the company's series. The lid should NOT be too difficult to take off, or the entire internet will hear about it.

(Second-favorite piece: a nice insert.)

Don't forget the box fart.

More
28 Apr 2009 10:16 #27172 by Black Barney
Michael Barnes wrote:

There's a great way to avoid any confusion the EL GRANDE expansion may cause- don't play it or the base game ever again. It's amazing, but after I stopped playing EL GRANDE I never had any further rules questions about it again.

Well yeah, that doesn't make sense to you? The rules made no sense to us even with the FAQ. No one had a good time so why would we play it again when we were having so much more fun with the base version?

We probably play board games for different reasons I'm thinking

More
29 Apr 2009 14:20 #27309 by Aarontu
Michael Barnes wrote:

Best response to EL GRANDE ever- sometime back in '96 or '97, whenever it was we first played it at Dragon Con, a friend of mine says in the middle of the game "What is this, fucking MANCALA?"

Not having played El Grande ever, I have to wonder, is it Mancala? Maybe Mancala, "dressed up", on "steroids", "dripping with theme", and having the elegance of creamed hamburger with an auction thrown in for good measure? A solid seven?

I kind of like Mancala; does El Grande "scratch the itch"?

More
29 Apr 2009 14:25 #27311 by ChristopherMD
Aarontu wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Not having played El Grande ever, I have to wonder, is it Mancala? Maybe Mancala, "dressed up", on "steroids", "dripping with theme", and having the elegance of creamed hamburger with an auction thrown in for good measure? A solid seven?

I kind of like Mancala; does El Grande "scratch the itch"?

Yes. If you like mancala or sevens, you will like El Grande. Buy it NOW, my Lord.

More
29 Apr 2009 14:50 #27315 by Schweig!
I rather like it. It's a strong 7 in my book. I haven't played it yet.

More
29 Apr 2009 16:44 - 29 Apr 2009 16:44 #27328 by Not Sure
Schweig! wrote:

I rather like it. It's a strong 7 in my book. I haven't played it yet.

I'm afraid I have to rate it a weak 7. The shrink-wrapped box is slightly too large for my shelves.

And I suspect it will be hard to open.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2009 16:44 by Not Sure.

More
29 Apr 2009 16:46 #27329 by mikoyan
I rate it a 5...It took me at least 30 minutes to open the damned box. Then someone got cheeto stains on it. there should be a coating on it to prevent Cheetoh stains....

More
29 Apr 2009 18:37 #27346 by Michael Barnes
I'd like to rate the following posters here:

Mikoyan: Tentative 7

Schweig: Lukewarm 7

Mad Dog: Flaccid 7

Black Barney: Rigid 7

More
29 Apr 2009 19:55 #27348 by Aarontu
mikoyan wrote:

I rate it a 5...It took me at least 30 minutes to open the damned box. Then someone got cheeto stains on it. there should be a coating on it to prevent Cheetoh stains....

Wow that's bad. If I were you, I'd start MULTIPLE threads on the poor production quality there, and then maybe shoot the company an email a couple weeks later.

More
29 Apr 2009 20:21 #27350 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

I'd like to rate the following posters here:

Mikoyan: Tentative 7

Schweig: Lukewarm 7

Mad Dog: Flaccid 7

Black Barney: Rigid 7

I have enough self-loathing to rate myself a 7.

More
30 Apr 2009 10:15 #27379 by Black Barney
gah! I can't tell if "rigid" is good or not. I'm gonna guess yes.

More
30 Apr 2009 10:42 #27382 by Ken B.
Oh, take it from ONE WHO KNOWS. Black Barney ain't no rigid 7.

Wait, what? Did I say that out loud?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.464 seconds