October 09, 2023
2656 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2841 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Most Embarassing Eurogame You Own

More
06 Feb 2009 15:58 #20411 by Michael Barnes
I think Susan might win the prize here, she's probably the only person who would even fess up to HONEYBEARS...at least until Frank Branham shows up since he owns everything.

Thing is, I've owned either for myself or through the store almost all the games listed here. I've even owned GOA and AUSTRALIA, which I think were the exact moments where Eurogames completely died.

I did own CAYLUS. And PILLARS OF THE EARTH.

Aaron- the "but it was only X dollars" excuse doesn't work. That makes it look worse. That makes it look like you'll buy anything for a low enough price. What did that game cost you in terms of dignity, man?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2009 16:30 #20414 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

Does everybody here but me own REEF ENCOUNTER? Is it something about the fish that you guys like?

Dude, it's the science theme. My wife bought it for the classroom.

More
06 Feb 2009 16:31 #20415 by Gary Sax
Probably Bohnanza. I made the realization pretty early on I wasn't that into euros.

More
06 Feb 2009 16:38 #20416 by maka
I guess it would be Through the Desert, the perfect example of a pasted on theme where not even the nice bits help... it's dry dry dry... I even like some abstract games, but not this one... What was FFG thinking???!

I also have a couple of other euros but I (mostly) like them, so I wouldn't be embarrassed. For example, I actually enjoy E&T but my gf hates it so it never gets played. Or Goldland one of the first euros we bought (I like the exploration theme) and even though is quite streamlined, I think it's thematic enough. I only play it with my son now, but we enjoy it...

More
06 Feb 2009 16:55 #20418 by southernman
maka wrote:

I also have a couple of other euros but I (mostly) like them, so I wouldn't be embarrassed. For example, I actually enjoy E&T but my gf hates it so it never gets played. Or Goldland one of the first euros we bought (I like the exploration theme) and even though is quite streamlined, I think it's thematic enough. I only play it with my son now, but we enjoy it...

I think E&T gets a reprieve because you can pass it off as a multiplayer wargame - I didn't mind it when I did play euros.
I also liked Goldland and had it on my want list over at TOS until quite recently, the theme does work quite well with it.

More
06 Feb 2009 17:03 #20419 by Beisaic
Lucky Loop.

I was new to the hobby (I mean, 2 months brand new) and Tanga was having a "mystery game sale." It seemed like a good way to expand my collecting cheaply and efficiently. I was very wrong.

Previously my answer would have been Lost Cities, which I bought on the numerous glowing recommendations that have been given it by less seasoned gamers. Fortunately, some poor sap traded a copy of Cutthroat Caverns for my Lost Cities a few months back.

More
06 Feb 2009 17:10 #20420 by hancock.tom
Kapitan Wackelpudding is actually a pretty good game if there is enough alcohol involved.

More
06 Feb 2009 17:31 #20425 by SusanR
Bullwinkle wrote:

The real kicker is, you're not embarrassed by any of them, are you?

No, I find my poor taste kind of amusing, actually!

I fell for the eurogaming thing in a huge way after only flirting with gaming all my life up until then. Back in the craze, games were easy and cheap. Our Cult of the New game group ordered games by the boatload from Adam Spielt in Germany. With an equally obsessed husband, there was no holding back. I don't regret it a bit - those were good times and there were plenty of games that I still like now.

But - I'm so over it.

The turning point was Caylus, the game that supposedly could walk on water and cure cancer. Like all the times before, we fell for the hype and had to have it. After three hours of utter tedium, I looked at the creepy royal guy on the cover looking back at me and thought, "that royally sucked."

And here I am.

More
06 Feb 2009 17:33 #20426 by NeonPeon
hancock.tom wrote:

Kapitan Wackelpudding is actually a pretty good game if there is enough alcohol involved.

I've got to get this game, if only to announce its title when I bring it to the table.

More
06 Feb 2009 17:37 #20427 by Notahandle
Shellhead wrote:
"SusanR wrote: Titicaca
Okay, you're making some of these up, aren't you?"

I have it too. But Susan, why on earth do you think it's embarrassing?

More
06 Feb 2009 18:02 #20429 by jeb
Gotta be BALLOON CUP. I thought, hey, maybe the wife... Sigh. She just doesn't like games, never mind shitty ones. Got in trade for some dumpster juice ($1 games from B&N). Not sure I came out ahead here.

More
06 Feb 2009 19:46 #20434 by vialiy
For a while it was Blue Moon City, but I mathtraded it away for a wargame. Now I'm at peace with the rest of my collection.

More
06 Feb 2009 19:55 #20435 by SusanR
Notahandle wrote:

Shellhead wrote:
"SusanR wrote: Titicaca
Okay, you're making some of these up, aren't you?"

I have it too. But Susan, why on earth do you think it's embarrassing?

Best name EVAR!

(yes, I know it's a real place)

More
06 Feb 2009 20:18 #20436 by moofrank
I...um...have...um...a very large number of the things mentioned so far. And I actually like Honeybears. It is one of those really fluffy one-trick-pony card games that Reiner is good at.

Dawn Under isn't a Euro. It is a GREAT children's memory game that involves overly cute grave robbing.

Most embarrassing...

A: I picked up a stack of games off of a prize table once: Busen Memo, Spank the Monkey, and Who's the Ass?

B: I think I might go with California. It was really the last major publisher Euro I bought that I hadn't already played. And the game is just so very inconsequential. Even the really awful Gunter Burkhardt games had something about them. California is just so absolutely soulless.

More
06 Feb 2009 20:33 #20438 by Merkles
Relationship Tightrope would be the worst one for me....got it as an add-on in a math trade.

(I actually like Ticket to Ride and Bohnanza....I even like 10 Days in the US/Africa/ games. But those I don't like, I've gotten rid of through math trades. Can't get rid of Relationship Tightrope)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds