October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
30 Nov 2016 16:56 #239491 by Michael Barnes
The problem with the AoS lore is that it's really repetitive (how many times do I need to read about the eight realms, Sigmar and the space dragon, etc), and it lacks big characters- there's no Eisenhorn, no Rouboute Guilliman, no Magnus the Red, no Horus, etc. Not yet at least. I think it will get better in time.

I've been painting my Lizardmen. There is a big drawback, the models are OLD. I think the Saurus Warriors date from 2002. And it really shows. They are nowhere near as nice as the figures in the AOS starter, for example. But they are still fun, and I have a kind of purple-blue/turquoise thing going on with them. I screwed up their scales- they were supposed to be Kantor Blue but I wasn't paying attention and did Macragge Blue. But it looked better, since it has more of a purple hue and not so much royal. Trying to decide I I want to give the warpaint look a try. I've got 24 Skinks with blowpipes on deck next, then the Saurus Knights (lizards riding dinosaurs!) and then the Skink Starpriest. I still haven't built the big dinos yet. That may be a beginning of 2017 project

Will probably go in on that Sylvaneth box coming out next week...which will be my stopping point for AOS armies until the Tzeentch Arcanites come out. Already have a pretty good start on that one with all the Silver Tower stuff, Screamers/Flamers and so forth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2016 17:09 #239591 by Michael Barnes
Battleforce boxes are up at Doc's/Dan's. $132 and he's doing discounts if you buy more than 1. I got the Sylvaneth one and stepped away from the site.

More
01 Dec 2016 17:22 #239592 by barrowdown
Looks like I might be grabbing two Admech ones. My Kastellans and Electropriests will be up for grabs.

More
01 Dec 2016 17:29 #239593 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I'm sort of thinking about the Deathwatch and Tau sets...but trying not to think too hard about them.

$132 for what you get is a great deal...$170 was pretty good to begin with, but this is a huge savings. If you buy one of these sets and the applicable Start Collecting box, you can get a pretty decent, fieldable army with optional builds and batallions/formations for a little over $200.

WOT A BOGGIN.

More
01 Dec 2016 17:43 #239595 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, I'm sort of thinking about the Deathwatch and Tau sets...but trying not to think too hard about them.

$132 for what you get is a great deal...$170 was pretty good to begin with, but this is a huge savings. If you buy one of these sets and the applicable Start Collecting box, you can get a pretty decent, fieldable army with optional builds and batallions/formations for a little over $200.

WOT A BOGGIN.

I picked up a Start Collecting Skitarii at my FLGS Black Friday sale, which added to these and my Knight allows me to field the War Convocation.

Woohoo!

More
01 Dec 2016 19:37 #239607 by Sevej
The Tau one match really well with the start collecting box. Two of the start collecting and two of the battleforce is a pretty fluffy army.

More
01 Dec 2016 20:07 #239612 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, they smartly tooled these to be "second purchases". I can tell you that the Stormcast and Bloodbound boxes would fill out those Start Collecting boxes nicely.

Except no Judicators, which is ridiculous.

More
01 Dec 2016 20:58 #239616 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, they smartly tooled these to be "second purchases".

Or in the case of the Mechanicus, "Let's throw all of the kits not in the Start Collecting set into this box."

More
02 Dec 2016 15:30 #239685 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: that kind of upper middle class mindset...the sort of folks that spend more money on things like gold-plated TV cables, that pay above MSRP for items at "boutique" shops, and that want to buy what is perceived to be the "BEST" or most complete in one go.

Some undiscerning folks can afford to pay extra money in hopes of getting quality.

More
04 Dec 2016 18:51 #239781 by Sevej

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah, they smartly tooled these to be "second purchases". I can tell you that the Stormcast and Bloodbound boxes would fill out those Start Collecting boxes nicely.

Except no Judicators, which is ridiculous.

I heard these Judicators are pretty mighty on the battlefield... no need to include them in bundles...

More
04 Dec 2016 19:28 #239787 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, they probably do sell themselves I suppose...Stormcast is light on ranged but these dudes make up for it. I just have the bows and they are STUPID good...next box I get I'm going to have a crisis deciding whether or not to do five more bows or try the crossbows.

More
10 Dec 2016 11:01 #240302 by Michael Barnes
New AoS starter is coming on the 23rd...Spire of Dawn. It's a repackaging of the old Island of Blood set so it is High Elves (Aelves) vs. Skaven. It's 74 miniatures and it's like $65- crazy!

This is a great buy if you want to play AoS but want Old World stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
10 Dec 2016 20:23 #240309 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
Where did you see it for 65$? It is 85$ on GW shop (which is still a crazy good deal).
The models look great, as always, and I like Skaven. But I am pretty committed to Khorne at this point, so unless they're super-compatible on the battlefield or something... And I am not sure it is worth buying 2 starters. My issue with the current starter is that there're very few customization options and there're 2 identical sculpts of each Bloodreaver (3 of them can be outfitted differently), and from the pics of the new one I infer that's the case there, too.

On a different note, GW is bringing out a new product like every one-two weeks now, which I think is awesome for them, and also an excellent exercise in self-restraint for me.

More
11 Dec 2016 11:00 #240318 by ufe20
Holy crap, that reprint of IoB is a good deal. They've renamed a few of the elf units, but going by current General's Handbook points, it's like 850 points of elves, 750 points of skaven.

Anyone know of a store I can get this at a discount? $80 has me almost pulling the trigger (already have some of these) but any cheaper and I'm definitely snapping one up.

More
11 Dec 2016 11:44 #240325 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, with just a couple of extra purchases those are both easily fieldable 1000 point armies- with battalions in the box.

These guys will have it for about $65-

www.vendio.com/stores/Docs_Games_Store/home/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds