October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
16 Mar 2016 16:45 - 17 Mar 2016 12:35 #224481 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
9-mana guarantees Tree of Life --> Auchenai Soulpriest + Bolf Ramshield is an instant win on Turn 10. I'm going to try this.

--edit

Oh man, NotSure watched me screw up a Priest v Priest game like three different ways in the Tavern Brawl. First, I Converted and played a Thaurissan with combo pieces in hand--this is bad, because Ysera costing 8 means I don't get Tree of Life. I did get Lay On Hands, which I was going to combine with Auchenai Soulpriest and a Blessed Champion'd Emerald Drake to deal 14 + 8 = 22, then "heal" for the win, but I played them in the wrong order, healed my opponent, &c. So ridiculous. It was all elaborate BM. My daughter took over when she was done with practice and took the other guy into fatigue and killed him with Holy Fire and 6 fatigue damage.

--edit
Updated the deck to play Malygos over Ysera. This worked out one time actually, as I could win on Turn 9 with Maly + free Cobra Strike and Sinister Strike for 16. Swapped out the Injured Kvaldirs as well, mostly because 1cc spells are shit. Put Injured Blademasters in there and swapped a Museum Curator for a Jeweled Scarab on the off chance that I get another Bestial Wrath--have seen like four of these.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 12:35 by jeb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2016 13:42 #224743 by Mantidman
Replied by Mantidman on topic Hearthstone Players!
Tavern Brawl this week:
An Evil Exchange
K.T. vs. Rafaam with pre-constructed decks.
I had fun with K.T. since you get to play his Bosses as minions and his
Hero power is Resurrection. Allows you to bring back a random friendly
minion that has died. Lots of Naxx minions, of course.
Rafaam's Hero power assembles the Staff while giving him discounted
minions into his hand. Lots of LoE minions.

More
23 Mar 2016 14:43 - 23 Mar 2016 14:53 #224746 by jeb

Mantidman wrote: Tavern Brawl this week:
An Evil Exchange
K.T. vs. Rafaam with pre-constructed decks.
I had fun with K.T. since you get to play his Bosses as minions and his
Hero power is Resurrection. Allows you to bring back a random friendly
minion that has died. Lots of Naxx minions, of course.
Rafaam's Hero power assembles the Staff while giving him discounted
minions into his hand. Lots of LoE minions.

It's pretty crazy. I lost as KT, which I am hearing is unlikely, but man, that guy played some sick clears. A board of weenies got wiped by a spell that shoots everyone for 3. A regular board got killed by Flamestrike. A HUGE board got killed by Acid Maw, plus that guy that shoots for two. And he gained ~46 off Reno Jackson. AND he cleared ANOTHER huge board with Deathwing to win. The card advantage plays for Rafaam are pretty sick.

As KT, don't bother playing out weenies, ie. anything costing 3 or less.* They get in the way of your Hero Power.

*Exception: That 4/5 for 3 that deals 4 to a random enemy. He's broke.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 14:53 by jeb.

More
23 Mar 2016 15:45 #224751 by jeb
Playing Renocarnate on the ladder right now. Control Warrior (Elise) at 25 life + 25 armor or so. Conceded at 17 life when my board was:
  • Antique Healbot
  • Kel'Thuzad
  • Earth Elemental
  • Kel'Thuzad
  • Sylvanas Windrunner
  • Sylvanas Windrunner
  • Sylvanas Windrunner

More
23 Mar 2016 17:10 - 23 Mar 2016 17:23 #224759 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I did pretty well with my modified Tempo Mage in last week's Brawl after I stole rocketkiwi's idea and put a Summoning Stone in. It was weird, I seemed to have mediocre mulligans, at best, unless I faced another Mage. Then I'd always mulligan Flamewaker/Portal/Sorcerer's Apprentice/Flame Cannon/Frostbolt/Mana Wyrm in some combination. I had one crazy game against a Mage who was also playing Summoning Stone. He played one and I Fireballed it on my turn. He played his other one on his next turn and played Ancestral Spirit on it, so I hit it with a Spellbreaker and played my own Stone soon thereafter. He killed mine and I played my second one a turn or two later and he copied it with Faceless Manipulator, and I Spellbreakered that one, as well. I ended up winning but it was a little bonkers for a while.

jeb wrote: It's pretty crazy. I lost as KT, which I am hearing is unlikely, but man, that guy played some sick clears. A board of weenies got wiped by a spell that shoots everyone for 3. A regular board got killed by Flamestrike. A HUGE board got killed by Acid Maw, plus that guy that shoots for two. And he gained ~46 off Reno Jackson. AND he cleared ANOTHER huge board with Deathwing to win. The card advantage plays for Rafaam are pretty sick.

Don't forget that 0 mana spell that hits everything for 5(!) damage, plus an Entomb in case the Rafaam player feels like they're not twisting the knife enough. I won as Rafaam where focused on keeping the board clear until I could upgrade my hero power to where I was summoning a random Legendary each turn. It helped a lot that the KT player didn't draw all that well (I killed that "summon a random undead" guy immediately but had some trouble with Mr. Deal 4 Damage and Senor Freeze-a-Minion) but once I had the upgraded hero power and he was top-decking it was just a matter of time.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 17:23 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
24 Mar 2016 11:05 #224800 by jeb
I beat Heroic League of Explorers yesterday. I'd had about six bosses left. I wasn't looking forward to the Steel Sentinel. I was thinking I'd go with a Tempo Mage and have to set up some crazy double-Malganis into a load of Arcane Missiles thing. But I thought about it--he's not immune, like Rafaam, he just takes damage slowly. So, as long as I can maintain a board of weenies and manage the Armorsmiths, I should be OK. I was thinking Dreadsteed, but that starts slow and only has Siphon Soul and Corruption(?) for the Armorsmiths. I went with Paladin, using Stampeding Kodo for the Armorsmiths, and more importantly, giving me access to Equality and Muster for Battle if I needed to manage other big minions. Worked like a charm.

More
24 Mar 2016 19:10 #224825 by jeb
Some new cards have been revealed, but I want to be on the record right away as saying this card is awesome:
Renouce Darkness - 2 Mana Epic Warlock Spell - Replace your Hero Power and Warlock cards with another class's. The cards cost (1) less.

That is an archetype right there. It only swaps out the Warlock cards, so you can assure a measure of consistency with solid neutrals, but the automatic Thaurissan on all the other cards is crazy good.

More
24 Mar 2016 19:34 - 24 Mar 2016 19:49 #224828 by MacDirk Diggler
Curious to know your idea for the deck you make with that. What neutrals you taking? You are saying you can beat a synergistic deck with a fistful of randos where everything costs -1 mana. Makes every time out feel like a tavern brawl and you would never get bored. Obviously the starter deck needs to be able to win in the event you don't draw that card. As you need to draw it early for it to make a difference, you sacrifice some tempo to change out of Warlock skin. And then say you do change, only to draw some weenies afterwards you gonna be top decking a few turns later anyway where the cost won't matter anymore. You lost Warlock draw ability. I think Hunter might be a nice place to land as you could afford to blast face every turn.

Guess I am the Devils Advocate on this card. It sounds fun as hell to try, I just don't see it being super competitive.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 19:49 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
24 Mar 2016 23:12 #224836 by jeb
Well, we don't know what's going to be available--maybe a C'Thun framework exists and would be generically good enough to carry the deck. I think I would try to have some decent effects like Defender of Argus and card draw like Acolyte of Pain to ensure access to more of my cheapened cards.

More
25 Mar 2016 00:04 #224838 by MacDirk Diggler
There is nobody who's opinion I respect more when it comes to HS. Thanks for the quick response.

I thought about it a little bit more and it seems like you should build to try and have a huge draw before you change up. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a healbot or two in the deck as you probably going to need to try and play defensively and use your draw power trying to set up for the swap. I wonder if it swaps out your deck and transfers the original card costs over to your new deck.
The big sardonic trombone on the whole thing, to me, is drawing tribal minions that rely on having another dragon, beast, pirate or whatever that you likely don't have.

More
25 Mar 2016 00:57 #224841 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm really curious how consistent Renounce the Darkness is going to be. Even if it does adhere to the 2x per card limit I could see it often filling your deck with junk that's still not worth it at a -1 global discount. But figuring out what Warlock deck would synergize best with most of the other class cards while simultaneously being able to hold its own until you draw RtD is some next level shit that makes my brain hurt trying to contemplate it. I'm sure j4ckiechan will figure it out in short order. :P

I don't know what's going on with this Tavern Brawl; I'm 3-1 and I haven't played once as KT. I'm enjoying overcoming long odds to keep beating down KT (My favorite moment was when I got Confessor Paletress from my hero power. 2 Legendaries per turn? YES PLEASE.) but I'd like to play as KT at least once. Has anyone played with him, is he easy to win with?

More
25 Mar 2016 04:30 #224844 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Hearthstone Players!
Played KT on my first tavern brawl this week, won easily, got my pack and wasn't planning on playing again.

I got the quest for 5 tavern wins.

5 more games as KT.

Only lost 1 so far but 1 win was when the Rafaam player quit as soon as we popped.

More
25 Mar 2016 12:34 - 25 Mar 2016 12:38 #224863 by jeb

MacDirk Diggler wrote: There is nobody who's opinion I respect more when it comes to HS. Thanks for the quick response.

I thought about it a little bit more and it seems like you should build to try and have a huge draw before you change up. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a healbot or two in the deck as you probably going to need to try and play defensively and use your draw power trying to set up for the swap. I wonder if it swaps out your deck and transfers the original card costs over to your new deck.
The big sardonic trombone on the whole thing, to me, is drawing tribal minions that rely on having another dragon, beast, pirate or whatever that you likely don't have.

That is flattering, but probably misplaced. Jackwraith is card-for-card and play-for-play better than me. I am a Johnny in the strictest sense--I am looking for decks that allow me to express myself. Once it gets crazy popular and everyone is expressing themselves that way--I move on. That said, we had the early reads on Grim Patron and Mysterious Challenger here, so we're not terrible at this. Then again, I love Hobgoblin with all my heart, so I am confirmed terrible at this. ps Lock and Load has to work somewhere, right? RIGHT?!

---
The Tavern Brawl is way easier as Kel'Thuzad. Not original-Nefarian-vs-Ragnaros-easy, but easy. Tips:
  • Don't play Haunted Creeper; it fucks up your Hero Power. I would avoid playing Dark Cultist for similar reasons and I am not even high on Mad Scientist.
  • Play Counterspell to kill a Staff Piece. It's gg if you do.
  • You should be able to set up a decent Duplicate off Corruption. Be mindful of that.
  • The 4/5 for 3 that deals 4 at EOT? He's insanely great. I have dominated the game by using it to kill the board and rezzing it at end of turn three or four times without playing another minion.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 12:38 by jeb.

More
25 Mar 2016 12:43 #224864 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: . ps Lock and Load has to work somewhere, right? RIGHT?!

Hotform has a decent and certainly fun deck with Lock and Load.

tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/hotform...--lowdid-hunter-deck

is a version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Mar 2016 16:12 #224875 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
I had a cool brawl. I can't remember the names but I cleared this guy's board and had this dude that gave me a Leper Gnome for each death. So I had five of those and three other tough dudes and he had squat. Then I had this guy in my hand that does 2 damage to everybody but him. I was bummed my foe conceded before I could do this. I only own like two legendaries so it's cool to play with some crazy shit.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds