Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Jul 2017 10:32 #251832

Sagrilarus wrote:

Have you played Silent Victory? I'd be interested to hear if it was more appealing to you. (If you haven't and would like to try let me know, I have an idle copy.)

I've not played Silent Victory but I have played The Hunters which I assume is basically the same game. The DNA of B-17 is clearly evident in The Hunters but I think there is slightly more player agency in the submarine games than in Target for Today and if given the choice, I'd prefer The Hunters.

Both games are more of "a story" which you watch play out and I understand why some people dig that. Also that some people run "group campaigns" at conventions and on-line and there is some value in the camaraderie of a shared activity and experience. However, several hours of rolling dice just to "see what happens" isn't really what I'm looking for.
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1918
All Hammers All the Time
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Jul 2017 10:36 #251833

Gary Sax wrote:
The commiting you to a strategy thing is the reason I go back and forth on the expansion. It's why I'm really glad it was not in the base game, so that the game holds together without it.

It seems to me that you could use all the expansion stuff except the civs+leaders. Have you tried doing so? I have everything mixed together now and I think I'm going to keep it that way, and just ask the players whether they want to use the civs or not.
  • wadenels
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1129
Sneak Attack!

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Jul 2017 11:43 #251837

Erik Twice wrote:
I played Arkham Horror LCG and while it was entertaining there's something that bothered me about it: It often punishes you for taking the right action.

The way the game works is that you first decide what to do and then you pull a chit from a bag to see if you succeed. And given these chits range from +1 to -5 and have several automatic failures thrown in every single action has, at least, a 35% chance to fail. if not more. Turns in which you just fail and don't do anything useful are common and the game is not forgiving enough to account for these failures.

And, most importantly, these failures aren't fun because doing nothing isn't fun. You can feed cards to reduce the chance of failure but then the game becomes an unthematic probability optimization excercise.

I don't know, I didn't have a bad reaction to the game or anything, but when I think about it objectively I realize it's a very wonky game. For example the "Weakness" mechanic is kind of dumb too: You have one card in your deck that does something bad to you if drawn. It doesn't add to the game, it just randomly screws you over if you happen to get it.

This hits in a few reasons why I'd never invest. Its not a bad or broken game, just doesn't ring well with my expectations. It being a co-op doesn't endear it to me either.

With Mythos and Call if Cthulhu CCG/lcg been made, this seems like a poor substitute for them.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 688
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 30 Jul 2017 18:09 #251840

repoman wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Have you played Silent Victory? I'd be interested to hear if it was more appealing to you. (If you haven't and would like to try let me know, I have an idle copy.)

I've not played Silent Victory but I have played The Hunters which I assume is basically the same game. The DNA of B-17 is clearly evident in The Hunters but I think there is slightly more player agency in the submarine games than in Target for Today and if given the choice, I'd prefer The Hunters.

Both games are more of "a story" which you watch play out and I understand why some people dig that. Also that some people run "group campaigns" at conventions and on-line and there is some value in the camaraderie of a shared activity and experience. However, several hours of rolling dice just to "see what happens" isn't really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for that. I think I'll hold off on Target for Today then. I had considered grabbing it second-hand.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2440

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 07:54 #251850

Took a risk and bought the Skullport expansion for Lords of Waterdeep. It may not turn it into a better category of game but it improves it massively. Playing well is no longer a matter of buying one appropiate building and finding the few better-than-average cards, now there are a lot of cards, quests and buildings that radically change the game and there's a bigger difference between playing well and making the most out of your resources.

Weirdly enough, I think interaction is one of the game's problems. The game is too tactical, too granular and too nice to actually be able to block or otherwise impact the play of your opponents but it's still annoying to have them play mandatory quests on you.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 703
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017 08:17 by Erik Twice.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 08:56 #251858

Erik Twice wrote:
I played Arkham Horror LCG and while it was entertaining there's something that bothered me about it: It often punishes you for taking the right action.

The way the game works is that you first decide what to do and then you pull a chit from a bag to see if you succeed. And given these chits range from +1 to -5 and have several automatic failures thrown in every single action has, at least, a 35% chance to fail. if not more. Turns in which you just fail and don't do anything useful are common and the game is not forgiving enough to account for these failures.

And, most importantly, these failures aren't fun because doing nothing isn't fun. You can feed cards to reduce the chance of failure but then the game becomes an unthematic probability optimization excercise.

I don't know, I didn't have a bad reaction to the game or anything, but when I think about it objectively I realize it's a very wonky game. For example the "Weakness" mechanic is kind of dumb too: You have one card in your deck that does something bad to you if drawn. It doesn't add to the game, it just randomly screws you over if you happen to get it.

I love the game. And while I can't argue with your experience, I don't feel quite the same. Obviously simply failing a skill check sucks, but since you have three actions each turn, it doesn't feel like you waste your entire turn that often. However, we're considering playing at the easy level to have a better chance at winning a scenario in the fist go. And I don't see the wonkyness. LotR (which I also liked) feels wonky with the different zones and the way you attack an enemy, but this is - I believe - a much more easily accesible game. And I love the weakness cards because they make your own deck - essentially your ressources - something potentially dangerous.
  • mads b.
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 349

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 09:06 #251859

I played Arkham Horror with the Innsmouth board yesterday and it was a crazy game. I soloed two investigators against Quachill Uttaus, and I couldn't do a thing for a long time. So the game really should have ended sooner than it did, but a shitload of monster surges gave me a shot at victory by sealing gates. But as I had 5 sealed gates Quachill awoke and only allowed a meager 3-dice attack before he dusted my investigators. However, the crazy part was the amount of devouring going on. On the second turn I sent an investigator to Innsmouth. He infiltrated the Esoteric Order of Dagon which meant he had to draw an Innsmouth Look card. He was a deep one, and I had to choose a new investigator. The next guy's personal story was beneficial if he got devoured, so I went to Easttown to do some blood magic and soon had him dispatched. But before the game was done a total of 5 investigators had been devoured - one more from a single card drawn from the Innsmouth Look deck, and three were devoured by Quachill Uttaus' dust cards.

It was a long game, and because I was under pressure from the beginning, I never got to do some fun shopping, monster harvesting or anything. It was simply a race to gain clues in order to seal gates and avoid drawing dust cards. But as always it was a ton of fun. However, this is my second game recently with the Innsmouth board where nothing really happened. I think maybe I'll switch it for the Kingsport board next time even though I seem to recall it's not super exciting. But Kingsport just seems so mysterious which is a huge plus.
  • mads b.
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 349
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, aaxiom, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 09:31 #251860

In theory, Arkham Horror scales just fine from 1 to 8 investigators. In reality, I find that the game plays very differently with just 1 or 2 investigators, with almost no hope of winning aside from Final Battle. When I play solo, I usually run 3 or 4 investigators at once. If I am playing with one other player, we usually run two investigators each.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2285

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 09:43 #251861

I had a group of friends travel over for the weekend where we organized a selection of classic and overlooked minis games. The Luchador dice game ended up the favored filler title of the weekend. Here's how it went down...

SmashMania
Luchador! Dice Game - Hielo walked away the weekend's winner having won multiple straps as she defeated all comers in singles competition and won the tag team tournament as a member of the undefeated duo...Fire & Ice.

The Beginning of the End of the Old World
Both Original WHQ and Silver Tower - The Barbarian, Ragnar, led a group of B-list heroes on a quest to save the soul of the Kislev hero, Heinrich. Their adventure took them through Karak Ungor, the Northern Wastes and the underground home of the Chaos All-Stars! Along the way, they were barred from and kicked out of villages near the Badlands border and transported into a Silver Tower where Heinrich's body was retrieved. Unfortunately, Thorgrim the Dwarf's jealousy of Ragnar led his soul susceptible to the taint of chaos while in the Silver Tower. The heroes return home was a double edged sword because though the revived Heinrich revealed and killed the Ice Queen of Kislev...

(we made Silver Tower versions of the original WHQ heroes so we could play the same characters across both titles)

Man O War - ...Thorgrim's corruption twisted him to become an agent of chaos where he led the might of the Chaos Dwarf and Dark Elf fleets against the combined defense of the Elves, Empire, and Dwarves. The fleet, Thorgrim's Fist, smashed the defenders in a series of engagements crippling the trade and communication routes that would be necessary for the allies to later fend off the savagery of Chaos in the End Times...

Ghosts in the Grid DB Tournament
Dreadball - In the latest PDL tournament, the Judwan's misinterpretation of the scoring rules led to them losing a potential first place spot, the Z'zor crushed all squads as if they were mere insects, and the gentle Crystallans were adopted as the favored team of the Azure Moon natives. The engineering of the Brokkr Drill failed, while the Robot squad almost won it all until the students of the Banzai Institute controlling the droids slumbered off into apathy. In the end, the unsponsored Kalyshi won the championship, but the Gemini program escaped defeat stowing back aboard the ThuanTen Labs rescue vessel where it killed the crew, commandeered the craft, and set course for new worlds to conquer...

• Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2210
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017 11:54 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Almalik, Gary Sax, cranberries, SebastianBludd, hotseatgames, Frohike, birdman37, DukeofChutney, Erik Twice and this user have 3 others thankyou

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 11:09 #251867

repoman wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

The Hunters is basically you command a single U Boat a la B-17. Silent Victory puts you in charge of the entire US sub force in the Pacific. Each boat is represented, but at a level of detail less detailed than Hunters.
  • Msample
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 600
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 13:43 #251881

I got a game of 40k in with about 500 points of Death Guard (25 power) vs. my Craftworld Eldar (23 power).

Forces were:
Death Guard
7 Plague Marines
1 Bloat-Drone
1 Daemon Prince

Craftworld
3 Windrunners (shuriken cannons)
1 Farseer Skyrunner (singing spear)
1 Night Prism (all options, shuriken cannon)

My Windrunners were annihilated on the first turn after killing one Death Guard. However, my other units put up much more of a fight. The Night Prism was extremely useful as it could camp inside of a ruined building with no windows because it has no need for LOS on its main weapon. The Farseer mainly functioned to buff my Night Prism to provide additional re-rolls. The entire battle came down to my wounded Farseer and the Daemon Prince with the Prince coming out on top.

8th Edition is so much quicker and smoother than 7th was at the end, and definitely more of a "fun" game. However, there are some really questionable unit costs that I am surprised made it through their "extensive" playtesting: Typhus being cheaper and better across the board than a Lord of Contagion, a fully upgraded Wave Serpent being better, more versatile and roughly the same cost as the stock Fire Prism. I'm sure several other armies also have odd selections where things have been over/under-costed from an in-faction equivalent.
  • barrowdown
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 223
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 14:04 #251887

I _LOVE_ the power points...that removes such a major barrier to the game. But it does create some weirdness by equalizing loadouts. But I think the codexes will see some adjustments that will tweak that Typhus/LOC thing.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5642

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 14:28 #251895

I introduced my two sons (ages 7 and 17) to Castle Ravenloft this weekend. I've played enough other similar-ish games with them, like Heroscape and Mice & Mystics, that we were up and running pretty quickly. As seems typical with the D&D Adventure games, we rushed blindly into the dungeon like fools, and within a handful of turns, quickly founds ourselves in deep, deep shit. We regrouped though, and managed to rally for the victory, with both my oldest son and myself clinging to one desperate hit point.

The highlight was probably the Encounter card that forced us to put a new monster on any empty tile. We drew a nasty Bugbear Beserker that did a whopping 3 damage, so we stuck that son of a bitch waaaaaay down at the far end of this long hallway. Then we assumed that was the last we'd see of him. But every round, he moved one tile closer ... one tile closer ... one tile closer. LIke a goddamn, remorseless Terminator, this thing stalked us down the hallway, one tile closer. We found the big bad guy, started pounding on him ... and still the Bugbear moved closer. We killed the bad guy when that Bugbear was one tile away from finally catching up to us. Whew!

Still a great game, and a pretty reliable good time. Over the years, I've pimped out my version with D&D pre-painted minis, which increases the toy factor a bit. I will say though, that I still hate the bland cards.
  • Joebot
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 193
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, aaxiom, Nodens, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 31 Jul 2017 16:14 #251903

Played a ton of stuff at WBC last week. Three games stood out:

TERRAFORMING MARS came out just after last years con and this year it was all over open gaming. From what I saw it had a very healthy turnout for the tournament, despite some voicing misgivings ( card drafting not only the 4 cards per turn but the starting 10 as well ) . However the real standout for me was TIME OF CRISIS . Released just a few months ago, this wargame/deck builder on the late Roman Empire saw a healthy amount of play in open gaming. With a tight rules set and a play time under 3 hours, I wonder if this makes the century next year either by vote or by GMT sponsorship. I played both games four times during the week . After TM, this was the most popular game I saw being played. Last year's hotness, SCYTHE, seemed to fade fast. Deservedly so because I think it fucking blows.

2. Speaking of GMT, I was fortunate enough to get in two playtests of the upcoming SPACECORP, This game is played over three eras as you explore the inner solar system, then the outer solar system, then finally launch out to places like Alpha Centauri and build colonies . Players draft cards to build their capabilities like Move, Explore, Build, Research etc and try to not only explore space but fulfill contracts for various goals. This game should be out by next years con I think and I suspect it will be very prominent in open gaming . As you would expect with a John Butterfield design, its an excellent game with some very well thought out ideas. If HIGH FRONTIER as a concept appeals to you, but makes your head hurt, this is right up your alley.

3. On the flip side from new games, I got in yet two more plays of a classic multiplayer wargame, ANGOLA . The second game in particular was a nail biter. One player was new to the game, Steven Brooks. Fresh off his win in the ASLSK event, he quickly picked up the nuances of the game and helped eke out a tie on the very last phase of the game when I thought our side would lose. Often tie games are a bit of a letdown, but all four of us - Bryan Collars and JR Tracy - felt it was an excellent game given the seesaw nature. Whether its ANGOLA or another older game in your collection, in this day and age of constant new product hitting, don't be afraid to break out older stuff, some of it still holds up quite well .

The MMP magazine that came out had the play balance article and a new shorter scenario, but alas the extra brigade counter didn't make it. Easy enough to craft a new one - the game itself has several blank counters. Maybe a future game will have it on the counter sheet.
  • Msample
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 600
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Grudunza, ratpfink, DukeofChutney, Erik Twice, aaxiom, Scott_F, JEM, Unicron

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 05:03 #251920

Msample wrote:
TERRAFORMING MARS came out just after last years con and this year it was all over open gaming. From what I saw it had a very healthy turnout for the tournament, despite some voicing misgivings ( card drafting not only the 4 cards per turn but the starting 10 as well )
How did they run the tournament? My friends and I were thinking about running one locally.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 703
Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017 05:20 by Erik Twice.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds