Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 05:27 #251921

Erik Twice wrote:
Msample wrote:
TERRAFORMING MARS came out just after last years con and this year it was all over open gaming. From what I saw it had a very healthy turnout for the tournament, despite some voicing misgivings ( card drafting not only the 4 cards per turn but the starting 10 as well )
How did they run the tournament? My friends and I were thinking about running one locally.

Drafting cards:

www.boardgamers.org/wbc17/previews/tfm.html
  • Msample
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 600
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 05:36 #251922

Oh, I meant more in general but it seems your link covered it. But yeah, drafting the initial hand seems strange.

Since we wouldn't have as many people I was thinking of playing 2-3 games, sitting players with similar victory margins together and have the winner be decided by victory margins.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 703

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 07:30 #251924

I won playing Lords of Vegas last night. I never win, usually come in dead last. So I was pretty stoked.

Lost at 3M's Regatta but had a good time. The game specifically says it's designed for people with sailing experience, and the advanced rules prove it!
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2440

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 10:34 #251938

Erik Twice wrote:
Oh, I meant more in general but it seems your link covered it. But yeah, drafting the initial hand seems strange.

Since we wouldn't have as many people I was thinking of playing 2-3 games, sitting players with similar victory margins together and have the winner be decided by victory margins.

Instead of straight victory margin, consider % of total points at table. Games with fewer # of players will have higher scores than tables with 5 for instance; this levels things out a bit.
  • Msample
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 600

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 11:18 #251941

Msample wrote:
Instead of straight victory margin, consider % of total points at table. Games with fewer # of players will have higher scores than tables with 5 for instance; this levels things out a bit.
Oh, yes indeed! I thought they refeered to the same thing! What I mean is that the best player per table get 100% and everyone else gets the appropiate %. I think that's what you mean too.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 01 Aug 2017 12:20 #251953

Dupe.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2440
Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017 12:21 by Sagrilarus.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Aug 2017 16:30 #252102

Last Saturday I planned to borrow a game from my gaming club. I made the mistake of telling the missus that I wanted to try Merchant of Venus. So I was ordered by my wife to "pick something fun." Thanks for the advice, honey. :) So given those marching orders, I borrowed a copy of Ra. We played 4-player, two nights in a row, with my wife, my daughter, and my daughter's boyfriend. They liked it, and I knew I would like it, so I consider that a success. I think Ra is the best of the Knizia auction games, and is better than Medici or Modern Art.
  • RobertB
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 363
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 07:37 #252153

Game night again.

Terraforming Mars: We played it twice and it keeps getting better each time I play it. The second game was particularly interesting in that we learned how to play UNMI by accident. I was forced to choose between it and Phoblog and there was nothing in my initial hand that the latter could use. In fact, there was barely anything of use in my initial hand at all! All I had were some city tiles and Pets, which seemed a good secondary strategy to follow.

Turn 1 I drop an ocean (draw two cards) and raise my terraforming value with UNMI. Turn 2 I do that again. Then I rushed temperature twice (gained the heat bonus), used UNMI again and play a small card that takes away some energy from another player and gives it to me instead. This allowed me to play my first cities and by building them next to lakes I got a small discount.

I was being super-aggressive and soon realized that terraforming so much and building cities was giving me a ton of victory points and money. So I decided to close the game as soon as possible, I even spent 46 credits to build two forests and nab the oxygen-fuelled temperature increase for myself. It was at this point that one of my opponents realized I was in the lead and started terraforming himself. The other didn't quite realize and expected the game to last one more turn than it lasted so he finished in third place.

All in all, I really liked the experience of playing this Corp. It was very different from the usual engine-building and I think the balance between terraforming and getting some additional points here and there is tricky. Liked it a lot.

Blood Rage: Like the last few times I agreed to play this one because it seemed better than the alternatives only to be harshly reminded of its gameplay problems. It's a borderline broken game in that it inevitably implodes and produces a bad player experience and the reason is always the same: One player has a small lead and triggers a battle. Other players can't get in without a massive chance of being wiped out (60% or more) and if they don't, the other player gets more powerful and snowballs into victory.

Several aspects of the game are also clearly unfinished or undercooked. Glory for battles is completely irrelevant, all its support cards are underwhelming and generally should never be played.

Lords of Waterdeep+Skullport: I suspect this is a slighty expanded version of the game as designed and the base game is a small fraction of that just like Settlers of Catan as originally designed included the first expansion. There's just a ton of stuff that makes more sense with the expansion. For example, in the base game an odd number of coins is useless because other than one or two underwhelming buildings everything costs and produces an even amount of coins. This is not true in the expansion where paying 3 or 5 is much more common.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
Last Edit: 05 Aug 2017 08:01 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 08:57 #252154

I thought of UNMI as weak until I saw it in action. It's really good. I had figured the once per round limitation wouldn't really pay off but getting it in the early rounds can make a big difference.
  • Legomancer
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1798

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 09:43 #252155

Legomancer wrote:
I thought of UNMI as weak until I saw it in action. It's really good. I had figured the once per round limitation wouldn't really pay off but getting it in the early rounds can make a big difference.
Yeah, like most I also thought it was weak at first but it's actually pretty solid. I think the reason why it's so poorly valored is that it's unlikely you make the connection between its ability and rushing and even if you do chances are you have never rushed the game like that. Most games of Terraforming Mars start out slow, with a focus on engine-building so seeing a Corp rush from turn 1 is shocking.

The ability is also better than it seems at first glance, when you think about it paying 3 credits to raise your credit generation and VP by 1 is very cheap. Credit-intensive? Sure! But it's far more efficient than playing any of the early economy cards like Bribed Commitee (+2Terraform, -2VP) or Radsuits (+1Income, +1VP). In a sense those are the UNMI VPs are the cheapest VPs in the game as long as you accept to play like they want to be played.

Still, my favourite corp is Interstelar Cinematics. Gaining 2 credits per event lets you buy play a ton of cards you otherwise wouldn't, specially if you get a discount elsewhere. People started hate-drafting attack cards just so I wouldn't get them, heh :D

PD: Perhaps I should write an strategy article on this. "How to play each Corporation" or something like that.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
Last Edit: 05 Aug 2017 09:46 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 12:04 #252159

Would welcome that, Erik. I like strategy articles/posts a lot.
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2359
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 13:14 #252161

I would not welcome it.
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2629
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 19:17 #252164

My old wargaming foil drove down for a few classic matchups before being stationed in Fort Benning. We played at one if those game cafe places. I didn't recognize anything being played at any other table. I did notice a lot of quiet tables while someone had their face in a rulebook. This was almost us as he brought Band of Brothers...a new to us game. Instead, we stuck with what we knew so we could get straight at each other.

First up was 4 games of Manoeuvre using the new Distant Lands expansion. Cool thing about it is that all the new armies are on the lower tier end instead of power creep as seen in most expansions. Not cool thing, there are a few typos with a big one being an Indian infantry unit card having an Indian cavalry flag on it. For such a small expansion that was in the P500 queue for about 5 years...this lack of quality control was disappointing. Not a game breaker though and Manoeuvre continues to prove to me why it's my favorite new board game of the last decade.

Followed that up with two games of our favorite block game, Hammer of the Scots. We both played each side with my opponent winning the first game as the Scots with 7 nobles to my 6. I ran riot the second game and pushed England out of Scotland entirely. I managed to do it with mostly 1 and 2 cards only pulling a single 3 all game. Definitely a memorable game for the ages.

On the 'I'm an old man' front not only was I playing wargames but a young guy came up during Hammer and asked if we were playing a new Westeros game. :/
  • Mr. White
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2210
Life & Death & An American Chainsaw
Last Edit: 05 Aug 2017 20:18 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 19:41 #252165

Is that like Stratego for grownups? Looks really fun
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2629
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 05 Aug 2017 20:47 #252166

After an unusually long dry spell in gaming over the last several weeks, I finally got a bunch of games played this week while my sister and her husband were visiting.

Five Tribes - Played a really close game of this with my brother-in-law. He focused on the cards, and the Viziers, while I focused on controlling territory and maybe getting some good bonuses through djinns. He ended up winning because he bought a BUNCH of fakir cards in the first turn or two, and was able to use that one djinn who lets you exchange them for a card from the top of the deck. He managed a good 75 points just through card sets. He ended up winning by about 10 points or so. I still love that game. I like it even more with the expansion, but we didn't get to use it this time.

Wiz-War - Man, this game is just so great. I played three two-player games with my brother-in-law over about two days. Wiz-War is one of those games that I struggle to get played, because I know a lot of people who just don't get it. It's hard to explain why the game works so well, but whatever the reason my brother-in-law just understood what the idea was. He's also the type to digest card text quickly (former Magic player), so he picked up what cards did really well. It's still one of the best games there is, and this week was a wonderful reminder that we really don't need many games at all when they're as good as Wiz-War.

Codenames Pictures - I love Codenames, but after several games I'm starting to feel like the Pictures version doesn't quite capture the same magic. First of all, the pictures are harder to parse than words. There are lots of little details in those illustrations that are not immediately obvious, but that one person will seize on and it throws the whole thing off. At the same time, the pictures are also easier to give clues on. If it's a picture of a dog, you can just say "dog." I also feel like the 4x5 grid is just a little truncated compared to the 5x5 of the original game. I do like the game fine, especially because it's easier for my son to play. I also would really like to try it combined with the words from the original. But in its pure form, this is the inferior version of the game.

Survive - I mentioned that I have been playing this game with family lately, and we got a game in this week. Everyone was oddly mannered about it until the last half of the game when knives came out. Lots of fun.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
Last Edit: 05 Aug 2017 21:01 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds