October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2750 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
29 Dec 2022 01:20 #337647 by SuperflyPete
The John Carter books made me want to read everything ever from about 7-8 on. My dad would occasionally say about a pretty big breasted woman “ah, look, a Barsoomian Maiden”. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2022 01:27 - 29 Dec 2022 01:27 #337649 by Not Sure

Dive-Dive-Dive! wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Any tips for getting precocious young boys to read are always welcome.

Read to them. You need books that will suck them in without seeming like they’re too much for the kid to read on his own if he wanted to. For that age, I suggest Robert Asprin’s “Myth” series. The protagonist is a young man, there’s monsters and magic, and you’re never quite sure who’s a good guy at first. Lots of puns so they’re even fun for the adults.

That's a great choice. I loved those books at a slightly older age (and they were pretty new then). I can imagine they'd be perfect.

Cosmic Encounter was pretty much what I expected Dragon Poker to be like when I first started playing it.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2022 01:27 by Not Sure.

More
22 Jun 2023 12:04 #339767 by Virabhadra
Hey, Frogmonauts! I didn't hear any fanfare about it, but the Cosmic Frog: Find Muck expansion should be available by August.

www.deviousweasel.com/cffm0

Plenty of time to get the frogs painted...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
22 Jun 2023 12:13 #339768 by cdennett
Having had the pleasure to play an early prototype of Cosmic Frogs with the poker chips instead of dice, which this expansion reintroduces, I'm beyond excited for this to come out. In my mind it's the superior way to play, and provides lots of opportunity for find muckery during combat resolution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

More
22 Jun 2023 12:31 - 22 Jun 2023 12:33 #339771 by charlest
That's interesting as I've never been a fan of the poker chips, and trying them again hasn't changed that. I assume they will appeal to some, but I'm curious to find out if I'm in the minority.

Advanced copies were sent out so reviews should be coming.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2023 12:33 by charlest.

More
22 Jun 2023 13:55 #339772 by hotseatgames
I don't mind the poker chips but prefer the dice. I think the chips slow things down too much.

More
23 Jun 2023 11:23 #339783 by cdennett
Well, perhaps I'm in the minority, or plays beyond the first will show the weight of the chip selection being too great.

Still excited...

More
21 Jul 2023 21:58 - 21 Jul 2023 21:59 #340046 by Gary Sax
Have a weird number of games coming in. Spirit Island expansion came in, looks like a great package (20 aspects is insane), got the updated On to Richmond/Grant Takes Command for GCACW (gotta preorder these or they immediately go out of print and are 1000 dollars), I got Inferno in Levy and Campaign series on sale as a gift for the birthday which is coming up, and Voidfall should be coming in in the next month which I decided to get from a reseller after I've played it a ton.

Been mostly quiet on the games front the last year or two so this feels like huge excess tbh.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 21:59 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
22 Jul 2023 10:59 #340053 by Cappster_
P500'd Imperial Fever: Great Power Competition in the Late 19th Century from GMT. It reports to be a "deck building game that should play in under four hours once players are reasonably familiar with the rules.

Lol.

But I'm all about an epic deck builder, so let's get it on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, n815e

More
01 Aug 2023 11:57 #340121 by Jackwraith
Been accumulating again, somehow, but at least some of them are crowdfunding campaigns that have all started resolving at the same time, so I can make myself feel like I haven't been spending THAT much because it's been spread out over months. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Picked up Triumph & Tragedy (plus CIA vs KGB) from our own Ratpfink here on TWBG. Always wanted to try T&T, even though I'm not much of a WW2 enthusiast when it comes to wargames. But it's a multiplayer block game, which is kinda cool, and slots into that "best at three players" domain that is exceedingly rare. I owned CIA vs KGB before and traded it because it always seemed too laborious for a 2-player small game, but I have a different regular 2-player partner now, so maybe it will have more appeal (plus Ratpfink threw it in for free because I'm sure he wanted it to sit unplayed on my shelf, rather than his.)

As noted in the Spirit Island thread, Nature Incarnate, the latest expansion, arrived. Looks cool like all other Spirit Island stuff, but we haven't been playing that much recently.

The Last Kingdom also showed up. I'm a "fan" of the series, in that I watched the whole thing because it was entertaining, but not particularly compelling. I appreciated that it covered a period of history and region that doesn't get a lot of exposure, since most of the attention goes to the lands raided directly by the Norsemen and not what happened after they settled there. It was also a Gamelyn production and I own and enjoy the entire Tiny Epic line, so I figured it was a pretty safe bet. Having played it twice now, I'm way more impressed than I thought I would be. It's a really interesting game that also holds the theme of the IP quite well. (Utrecht!)

And then I let Dan Thurot talk me into another damn card game in The Barracks Emperors. It's kind of the trick-taking version of GMT's Time of Crisis, by the same designers as ToC and also published by GMT. It's, uh, kinda brilliant which Dan is almost always reliable for, so I know I'll get a number of plays out of it. But it's also another damn box on the damn shelf...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
08 Aug 2023 09:46 #340192 by Hammy
Got back from my first GenCon with a sizeable haul.

I got copies of Blitzkrieg!, Caesar!, and Dogfight! for helping demo for Floodgate Games, but I only plan to keep Caesar as it is easily my favorite of the three. Dogfight I already gave away to Tom Vasel of all people. Decent filler, but nothing I'd ever want to pull off my shelf.

From the exhibit hall, I got Bemused and a signed copy of Zimby Mojo from Devious Weasel's booth. The latest expansion to Catacombs that adds a solo mode along with extra content for it and Catacombs and Castles. War of Civilizations from Bluencore, which is their first game and has changed greatly from the early versions I've seen. Excited to mess around with it. Bestiary of Sigillum: Collector's Edition as I fiddled with it in the BGG Hot Games Room and it looks like a great value for the price. Beacon Patrol as Dan's review of it makes me think it'll be perfect for the game nights I play with more casual groups. A bunch of promos for Millennium Blades, Oceans, and pink ships for Cosmic Encounter from Jack Reda himself!

But the biggest gets were from the consignment hall: Chaosmos, Dungeon Fighter with the expansion, Cutthroat Caverns, and easily my most prized gets, Impulse and Clockwork Wars with the Sentience expansion! Both are holy grail games I've been wanting to find for years. I'm really excited to dive into all of these!

More
26 Aug 2023 16:27 #340331 by Cranberries
I repurchased Earth Reborn for $30 from a local thrifter known as The Greedy Goblin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook, Hammy

More
26 Aug 2023 23:36 #340336 by Hammy
What made you want to repurchase it? I've been considering it based on Charlie's adoration of it, plus I'm shocked at how cheap it seems to be. Never expected that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Aug 2023 15:10 - 27 Aug 2023 15:18 #340338 by Cranberries

Hammy wrote: What made you want to repurchase it? I've been considering it based on Charlie's adoration of it, plus I'm shocked at how cheap it seems to be. Never expected that.

That guy and Barnes have talked me into so many games! He has a typo in that review:

Compound that with the fact each side builds there forces

I have a fondness for thematic cult games. I brought it to game night once, years ago, and after spending ages setting it up my son was looking spaced out, and he was burning up so,we went home, and I never opened it back up. Upon reflection, I seem to connect gaming with my relationship with my kids. Plus, nice minis.

I was reading a review in church (shhh) and was reminded you get points for torturing people.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2023 15:18 by Cranberries.

More
28 Aug 2023 11:25 #340347 by Virabhadra

Hey guys, I got a tabletop for your tabletop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds