October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
28 Aug 2023 12:11 #340348 by ChristopherMD
I'm guessing it costs more than the 4 soda cans and piece of plywood that I could use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2023 12:25 #340350 by Hammy
If you want to get it played Cranberries, I'm pretty sure it is on TTS and I'd be down to learn. :)

Going to get a $200 Kallax for an upcoming wedding gift. Two close friends from college are getting married in October and I like to do more specific, fun gifts than what is on the registry. I did double-check with them to make sure they would want it just in case. Nearest IKEA is in Columbus, so I might try to find a spot nearby that sells older board games to try and find something obscure and cool, treat myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Aug 2023 14:08 #340352 by Nodens
I clicked on an ebay auction, just because it was too cheap to ignore and am now the proud owner of two versions of Junta.
My newly acquired game has never been played. Someone unboxed it, maybe read the rules once and sold it off for a fiver.
The golden age of boardgaming has passed, some people will play games for years now before they encounter one of the great old ones. Well, I have the perfect gift for at least two dudes who will turn 50 soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Virabhadra

More
28 Aug 2023 14:55 #340353 by hotseatgames

Hammy wrote: Nearest IKEA is in Columbus, so I might try to find a spot nearby that sells older board games to try and find something obscure and cool, treat myself.

My favorite game store in Columbus is the Guard Tower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
28 Aug 2023 15:30 #340355 by Hammy
I see that it has two locations. Any major differences or preferences? Also, what makes that store your favorite? I see Columbus has a few there.

More
28 Aug 2023 16:09 #340356 by hotseatgames
The one on Trabue road is the original and my preferred store. I like it because it has a ton of stuff, prices are usually pretty decent, and there are store cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
29 Aug 2023 13:15 #340359 by dysjunct

ChristopherMD wrote: I'm guessing it costs more than the 4 soda cans and piece of plywood that I could use.

A friend of mine had one and I have to say, it was really convenient. The top was plexiglass, supports were carved cedar. (Not that there's anything wrong with soda cans and plywood.)

But it was great: keeps the game away from potential spills, or for RPGs, keeps minis and battle maps up while your character sheet is underneath. It's a very easy way to increase the effective surface area for gaming without needing a bigger table.

Not worth paying a premium for it, but I strongly endorse the concept.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars, n815e, Kmann

More
29 Aug 2023 15:56 #340362 by Kmann
I had been wondering what the point was so thanks for that.

More
29 Aug 2023 23:53 #340367 by n815e
I ordered Thunder Road on a whim a couple of weeks back when Restoration sold their leftover stock. I didn’t need this game, but it looks like it will be lots of fun.

I also picked up Star Trek Away Missions, which also seems like it will be fun. I am trying to tame the spending, but told myself I would get it if my flgs had it. I like supporting the guy, he’s a friend and is in his 44th year of business (likely his last). He had it, so I got it and the expansions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames

More
31 Aug 2023 18:11 #340406 by Hammy
I caved and bought Earth Reborn. I've been reading through Charlie's reviews during slow periods at work and his love for this is infectious. I also want something that's more pure Ameritrash without it being a full-blown miniatures game. Plus, it is shockingly cheap for the amount of stuff! No expansions also helps me justify this as a not another money pit. It comes in Tuesday, can't wait!

One day, I might have to get Cave Evil, Cryptid Explorers, or even Core Space because of Charlie. So this will be the test to see how I feel about some of these games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, birdman37, n815e, Virabhadra

More
31 Aug 2023 20:40 #340407 by Virabhadra
Grab Cave Evil if you see it. It's the rare hard-to-find title that also happens to be totally excellent. I think Nate is toying with the idea of a P500 to re-release it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
31 Aug 2023 23:58 #340410 by SuperflyPete
I just got my copy of Terraforming Mars: Dice. Will elaborate on it once I’ve played it a bit

More
01 Sep 2023 19:30 #340419 by Cranberries
my daughter will be traveling for 18 months and was telling me she wanted to play Ingenious so I thought I was getting the cheap German version but surprise it's the crappy card game. thanks to Reiner for endlessly squeezing the juice out of his intellectual property.

More
01 Sep 2023 19:33 #340420 by Gary Sax

Hammy wrote: One day, I might have to get Cave Evil, Cryptid Explorers, or even Core Space because of Charlie. So this will be the test to see how I feel about some of these games.

I'll sell you Core Space: First Born KS for cheap if you want it. It'll be kind of a bitch to ship but my spouse didn't care for it and it's taking up a lot of shelf. PM me if you're interested.

More
04 Sep 2023 10:40 #340437 by Hammy
Got my biggest commission yet at work, so it's time to buy more colored boxes that make me happy!

I'm incredibly tempted to late pledge for the 5th printing of Dungeon Degenerates, as that game as been in the back of my mind for years now. The only reason I haven't jumped on it is the temptation to bundle in a crap ton of expansions with it and the longer wait. Frankly, that's what has kept me away from backing Kickstarter projects as my need for instant gratification beats out my FOMO. XD

I think the 5th printing only makes some erratas anyways. Plus, other stores are dumping copies of the 4th print for cheap so I might go that route. For those who've played the game, are any of the expansions like Mean Streets good enough to get right away, or at any point for that matter?

Besides that, I will probably pick up some of my missing Catacombs expansions. The Wyverns of Wylemuir expansion isn't on Elzra's site (just the components for the game without the board or instructions, meant for the big box) but the KS exclusive Ice Box is there surprisingly so that's an easy get.

Might also grab the Fireball Island expansions as there is a good bundle on Restoration's website for them and I am smitten with the idea of attaching more boards and giving it even more of a toy factor and table presence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds