October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
03 Nov 2023 10:45 #340928 by Cranberries
I went to a conference in NYC and stayed an extra day with a friend who took me all over the city and Brooklyn. He recently bought a copy of Railroad Tycoon that he saw for half price at Target, and played it with his nine year old son, who liked it. The first time I played RT, my head exploded. He's kind of Aspie, as am I, so we spent the day not having to pretend to be normies. I want to send him a thank you game, so I'm thinking Omen: Reign of War or maybe that Spirit Island: Lite version that came out. I'm concerned that the rando swings of Omen might not mesh with his brain, but also not sure if he would thrive in a cooperative setting and be able to resist telling everyone the optimal move. Hmmm....
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2023 11:08 #340930 by n815e
A new version of Omen is in the works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Nov 2023 11:55 #340931 by ChristopherMD

n815e wrote: A new version of Omen is in the works.

At what point has this not been the case?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, sornars

More
03 Nov 2023 12:16 #340932 by n815e

ChristopherMD wrote:

:laugh: :laugh:

True enough.

It looks like a revamp of the system a bit, with the game being released as three new, smaller games akin to the later stuff. And supposedly they are not compatible with what came before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
03 Nov 2023 19:10 #340938 by Cappster_
So I bought my first * NEW * game in a long time recently. First in Flight.

It's a one of those only-move-forward action selection games (Tokaido is the popular example) coupled with an interesting push-your-luck deck-buidy thing. All things that I like. It also has an early aviation theme, which I also really like.

First play was with a guy who is know in our group for... Fudging results... and he somehow managed to beat me in the end. I want to give it another go or two (at least with Sag at the table) before I give any real impression.

But it seemed fun. The question came up during the first game about if one of the games core mechanics (fixing design flaws in your plane) was worth the effort and resources to engage with. There were also some very powerful (almost broken?) card combos that happened, which is okay if they happen regularly enough. Giving all the players equal chances to break the game is what makes Glory to Rome fun, after all.

All that to say, need to play it a few more times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Nodens, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
05 Nov 2023 20:01 #340944 by Cranberries

n815e wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

:laugh: :laugh:

True enough.

It looks like a revamp of the system a bit, with the game being released as three new, smaller games akin to the later stuff. And supposedly they are not compatible with what came before.

Free Print-and-Play of Omen: Omega edition. I can't keep all the versions straight.

www.smallboxgames.com/product-page/copy-of-nobles
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
14 Nov 2023 16:28 #341014 by Hammy
Got some early birthday money from relatives so I decided to drive around the Columbus area and check out some local stores. Ended up settling on the Wanted Dead or Alive expansion for Core Space as it seems to get rave reviews and slot easily in with my First Born stuff. Also picked up the base game of Thunder Road Vendetta as it looks easy to get tabled and it stands out from my one other racing game, Quest for El Dorado. As long as the first play goes well, I plan to get another expansion or two for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, n815e

More
19 Nov 2023 09:05 #341041 by Cranberries
Our library had a big donated book sale and I picked up a copy of Duel of Ages II for a dollar. I was thinking about repurchasing it. There are days when I feel like I'm living in a simulation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
20 Nov 2023 10:32 #341045 by dream spawn
Picked up a copy of Cat in the Box: Deluxe Edition since it was on sale on Amazon.

Yet another game to add to my collection of trick taking games that never get played (a side effect of being a Yankee living in the South).
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
20 Nov 2023 11:26 #341046 by n815e
Got the latest expansions for Star Trek: Away Teams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
20 Nov 2023 21:39 #341048 by Gary Sax
Charlest's review of that sounded pretty interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, n815e

More
21 Nov 2023 13:16 #341052 by Hammy
Got my Christmas bonus early so I got some expansions for Dungeon Degenerates with their Winter Sale. I'm also stalking GeekMarket to try and find someone selling Collusion and Set Rotation for Millennium Blades. I am also going to buy the retail edition of Last Light whenever that comes out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Ah_Pook

More
10 Dec 2023 06:50 #341237 by southernman
Picked up unplayed copies of Frosthaven and Euthia: Torment of Resurrection for a good price from a local guy (life just too busy for him to find time for gaming) so I think with all the unplayed games I have and a few more kickstarters arriving this and next year I pretty much have enough games to last for the next five years.
But now I have looked at Euthia I'm pretty sure he has virtually given it away to me at the price, and as it's a bloody long game (I have too many of them) I think I will just sell it for a more realistic price and pass him the extra I made on it - a case of eyes bigger than my (gaming) stomach ... plus I don't need any extra games taking away precious time needed to play five cycles of Aeon Trespass: Odyssey plus Frosthaven :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Dec 2023 10:08 #341374 by QPCloudy
I’m thinking about ordering a Crokinole board and possibly the Deep Rock Galactic board game. Still on the fence for both, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
22 Dec 2023 10:16 - 22 Dec 2023 13:15 #341375 by southernman

southernman wrote: ...
But now I have looked at Euthia I'm pretty sure he has virtually given it away to me at the price, and as it's a bloody long game (I have too many of them) I think I will just sell it for a more realistic price and pass him the extra I made on it - a case of eyes bigger than my (gaming) stomach ... plus I don't need any extra games taking away precious time needed to play five cycles of Aeon Trespass: Odyssey plus Frosthaven :pinch:

Ending up making another £100 on Euthia after fees when I eBayed it (lasted less than a day listed) so have just surprised the shit out of the guy ringing him and telling him he has another hundred quid arriving in his bank account :lol: .
Last edit: 22 Dec 2023 13:15 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37, cdennett, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds