October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
15 Sep 2023 18:00 #340559 by n815e

Cranberries wrote: There's a guy in his early sixties who shows up at the thrift store when it opens and immediately raids the game shelf. One time he looked so miserable when I grabbed a copy of Samurai Sword that I just handed it to him. His day job is working retail at Batteries Plus. I am 90 percent certain there is a little neurodivergence in the mix. My thrifting buddy refers to him as "The Greedy Goblin."

So he went on the local FB marketplace and listed all the games he has acquired, at the thrift store (Deseret Industries) and from some local sales. His prices are ridiculous, but he'll come down. Do you see anything in the $30 range that looks really good? I'm probably going to get the Trekkin the National Parks because it has good reviews and my family might play it.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vc1-y5QK...xjs/edit?usp=sharing

Note he is selling Samurai Sword for $80. :\

See, if he was just a guy that loves games and is maybe down on his luck, I would have let him take it like you did.

But knowing he is just going to resell them… That game would have gone home with me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2023 20:38 #340577 by Sagrilarus
There's a big box version of Diplomacy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Sep 2023 10:37 #340580 by Shellhead
I purchased Desperation from Bully Pulpit Games. I plan to play it at my annual pre-Halloween day of horror board games in a few weeks. The plan is to open with a big game of Camp Grizzly. Inevitable late arrivals will start on the Lost in the Woods space with whatever camp counselors are still available. By the time we finish, everybody should be present. Then I will bring out a single lantern and turn out all the lights, and start a game of Desperation. The lantern is passed to the current player, who will draw and play a card. We will play the ship scenario, and I have a mix of background music that I put together for Sea Evil last year. It features such memorable sea shanties as Bones in the Ocean, The Ship is Sinking, and Men That I've Known and Killed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Cranberries, Msample, hotseatgames, Mantidman, DarthJoJo, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
20 Sep 2023 00:06 #340583 by Shellhead
Desperation arrived suddenly today. Bully Pulpit is in North Carolina, so I expected to wait a week or longer, but they are apparently sharing a warehouse with Atlas Games and Trident Inc in Duluth, so about a two hour drive away. I'm not familiar with Trident, but Atlas is based here in the Twin Cities.

More
23 Sep 2023 22:53 #340617 by ChristopherMD
I discovered there's an expansion for Cuba Libre and got in on the p500. It Made the Cut, so it should arrive in a decade or two.

www.gmtgames.com/p-1038-resisting-revolu...libre-expansion.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
23 Sep 2023 23:17 #340618 by Sagrilarus
I just traded my Mechs & Minions to pick up a new copy of Thunder Road Vendetta.

It was about the only game I've been eyeballing, and Mechs was taking up a bucket of space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cappster_

More
25 Sep 2023 12:57 #340630 by ubarose
It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I got some game money/gift certificates, as well as some games as gifts.

As gifts I received:
  • Thunder Road Vendetta
  • Camel Up Expansions
  • Heads Will Roll with the totally excessive Play Mat

I spent my gift money on:
  • Death May Die Expansions - Yog-Sothoth, Black Goat of the Woods, and Extra Dice (the extra dice have really made a difference playing the game)
  • Cascadia (Our collection of end of game night, 30-45 minute, that everyone already knows the rules for games needed a bit of refreshing)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, ChristopherMD, birdman37, sornars, DarthJoJo, Cappster_

More
25 Sep 2023 18:22 #340633 by Sagrilarus
I haven't opened my Thunder Road yet. Heard good things though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Sep 2023 22:12 #340634 by ubarose
Thunder Road Vendetta is even more chaotic than the original. I think it is a hoot. Like a car can hit an oil slick and just take out two other cars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars, n815e

More
29 Sep 2023 12:59 #340668 by Virabhadra
I received extra copies of expansion content for Spire's End and Spire's End: Hildegard. Anybody want it?

...and if you haven't tried Spire's End, this is a great time of year for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
29 Sep 2023 13:52 #340669 by ChristopherMD
The Hildegard expansions looked like too much hassle just for a little variety. So I didn't buy, but would try out at some point. Someone else may want them more though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
30 Sep 2023 08:24 #340671 by southernman
Picked up three games at very good prices from a guy downsizing on eBay:
Darkest Dungeon
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood of Venice (retail, but OK as the standees look great)
Stars of Akarios (because there's a v1.5 kickstarter coming up and they will have an upgrade pack that will hopefully make a good-ish game very good)
But not much gaming at the moment as getting my small house extended a bit (games room included) so it is literally a building site, but plenty of games stored up for the next few years now !
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
06 Oct 2023 17:17 - 08 Oct 2023 22:42 #340707 by Cranberries
I drove 36 miles (round trip) last night to pick up a copy of Blood Rage, with mostly painted miniatures for $65. Apparently there were eight other potential buyers queued up behind me on Facebook marketplace. There is some new money in Lehi, Utah in the form of coders and tech folks, so sometimes bargains arise.

i.imgur.com/QhMAF3m_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand
Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 22:42 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 Oct 2023 20:45 #340712 by Cappster_
I've been considering First in Flight for the past couple weeks. By all indications this should be a shoe-in for our group, as it check a lot of our boxes:
Aviation, Push-Your-Luck (think Diamat), Time-Limited Action Selection (think Thebes and/or Tokaido), some deck building, and a best round scoring that is reminiscent of Colosseum.
So I'm not sure why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll keep y'all posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
08 Oct 2023 11:44 #340714 by themothman421
I haven't bought any games for a while, but now I am trying to replace some games that were lost due to my basement flooding.

Water got so high it soaked the bottom shelf of my bookcase, and while I had to toss 6ish mildewy games in the trash, the only one I really want to replace is my copy of A Touch of Evil and its expansions. I crammed the base game and expansions in the 10 year anniversary coffin box, and that poor thing was soaked through, so the hunt is on to replace what I can. The "Something Wicked" expansion in particular seems nigh impossible to find, sadly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, n815e, Cappster_

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds