October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
14 Mar 2016 14:02 #224301 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, it's pretty beastly looking. There's a lot of text on the cards in that manuscript font as well. God help you if the light isn't good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2016 14:58 - 14 Mar 2016 14:58 #224315 by stoic
Based upon the good vibes read about here, I picked up Argent and Mancers. Damnation to the wizards on this site that make me purchase more games...
Last edit: 14 Mar 2016 14:58 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Mar 2016 21:20 #224346 by wadenels

Msample wrote:

wadenels wrote: I P500'd Medieval Conspiracy back in 2012, and other than checking on the status maybe twice in that time I'd completely forgotten about it.

Well it came in the mail yesterday. Didn't expect that.

Besides the horrid looking map, I now understand that the rulebook is in some faux medieval looking font. WTF ???

It will have to be damn good to overcome those two graphic choices.

The rules are available in a normal font at ugg.de; I printed them out immediately. I don't think the game or rules were translated by a native english speaker, but they aren't terrible. The card text isn't difficult to read in person, and the board looks much better in person also. I really like the artwork, but we'll see how it holds up during play. Spread out on the table I quite like the design choices, but printing an entire rulebook in that font kind of baffles me.

Just finished stickering about 350 wooden squares. Reading the rules now. I'm not really getting a good feel for how the game will play out from the rules. All the little moving parts certainly seem interesting though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
14 Mar 2016 22:51 #224350 by SemiColon

iguanaDitty wrote:

SemiColon wrote: Ordered Merchants & Marauders: Seas of Glory since I found a few copies at one of my online haunts after noticing it was sold out at all the other ones I normally look at, and knowing Z-Man expansions, once it's gone it isn't coming back.

Where damn it? I cleverly waited on getting this and now it's impossible...

It was from Greatboardgames.ca: www.greatboardgames.ca/merchants-marauders-3933 , but they don't ship to the US unfortunately, if that is where you are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
15 Mar 2016 09:15 #224368 by Columbob
Wow, $37 for an online discount store?! They seem to know it's hard to get because I bought it in a physical store that is usually MSRP or maybe a bit over for $10 less than that last summer.

More
16 Mar 2016 14:15 #224461 by Chapel
Since paying off my taxes, damn the man, I've been on a bit of a spree. This month I've gotten

Mega Civilization
Food Chain Magnate
1775: Rebellion
AH Source of the Nile
Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Deluxe Edition
1847: Pfalz

Now on to finding Magic Realm!

More
16 Mar 2016 14:33 #224463 by Gary Sax
Armada came while I was on vacation so my next door neighbor picked it up, but then then THEY left on vacation until next week before I came home. Which means my gigantic box of Armada is sitting next door while I twiddle my thumbs.

I should break in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
21 Mar 2016 22:44 #224664 by lj1983
Pax porfiriana CE is on sale at coolstuff, so went ahead and put my preorder in for SW:Rebellion at the same time

More
21 Mar 2016 22:56 #224665 by Sagrilarus
I have a birthday coming up and $50 store credit. I need to pick something out.

I'm thinking about Silent Victory, but I prepubbed this year so it will be half price this Fall. May hold off on that one.

More
30 Mar 2016 09:36 - 30 Mar 2016 09:38 #225012 by Legomancer
I'm still under an Ultimatum List , but I decided that re-buying a game I already own didn't count as buying a new game, so I got the Pax Porfiriana Collector's Edition. Comes with a board, a much better box, and a MUCH better rulebook. In addition, the flip side of the board is a board for Pax Pamir, which the box is also designed to hold. That's a nice touch.

I like the game a lot, obviously, but boy, do I not know if I want to buy any more of Eklund's games. (Not that I've been really captivated by any other than this one.) This version of Porfiriana at least doesn't have the bibliography that suggests I read more of the brilliant writings of Ayn Rand, but it still has Eklund's notes in the back on the GOOD kinds of slaves and monopolies, and how we need to return to the gold standard and other ubercapitalist tripe. All enhanced by the fact that often his asides aren't actually needed, he just felt like doing some Eklundsplaining (as in Pax Pamir when he lauds the amazing benefits of British Colonialism and then points out how it doesn't apply to Afghanistan -- the setting of the game -- anyway.) I'm sure Eklund doesn't have the most odious philosophy out there -- for all I know, Michel Oracz is a neo-Nazi -- but his seemingly irresistible insistence that he lecture me about it makes it hard to overlook.

Anyway, my own ideological rant aside, it's a nice edition and as I say, the rulebook looks SO MUCH better. The cards are still a hot mess, but eh, what ya gonna do.

EDITED TO ADD: oh, and it still includes tiddlywinks for money.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 09:38 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Unicron

More
30 Mar 2016 11:18 #225021 by Chapel
Speaking of Pax Porfiriana CE. I have an extra unopened copy of the game I am willing to trade for something old school. Still looking for a lot of older games. My wishlist is here if anyone is interested.

boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/MWChapel?wishlist=1

More
20 May 2016 10:41 #227854 by hotseatgames
All the dungeon crawl talk got me to order Dungeon Fighter. I had always wanted to pick it up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the expansions for it?

More
20 May 2016 13:28 #227865 by Egg Shen

hotseatgames wrote: All the dungeon crawl talk got me to order Dungeon Fighter. I had always wanted to pick it up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the expansions for it?

I've come close to ordering a couple of the expansions on Amazon because they were like $16 shipped. However, I don't play the base game enough to warranty even spending that little on the game. The base game has plenty of value in it and offers a different enough experience each time that I've never thought it actually needed any more content. Like I said in the dungeon crawlers thread...I've never actually completed a dungeon. Everyone I play with...we all SUCK at the game. Tossing the die in that bullseye is friggin hard! Watching a grown man jump, spin around mid air, and trying to toss some dice onto a cardboard bullseye never gets old. Add some cocktails and beer to the equations and be prepared to get slaughtered by the most basic of creatures!

More
20 May 2016 17:44 #227892 by Josh Look
I got on board with a Massdrop for Tyrants of the Underdark. Only a few bucks cheaper than everyone else, but I'm really excited for this game. I detest Drow stuff, but the game sounds really cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
20 May 2016 19:17 #227896 by wadenels
Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space Ultimate Edition came in the mail today. There will be sneakery.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds