October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Feb 2016 04:27 #222886 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: Love Another World.

We always have such radically different opinions Barney!

I respect Another World a lot, it was a huge step foward in games and it has a lot of amazing ideas. But when I play it...I kind of hate it. You just die and die and die and repeat the same scenes over and over. And they are amazing scenes, sure, but when you play them 10 times they lose all their luster. It seems a game that only works when you are winning and it painful when you are not.

It was ahead of its time but the difficulty is totally stuck in 1988, IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2016 12:57 #222896 by Black Barney
It's funny cuz I typically hate games like Super meat boy and those things which are designed that you die s million times. But Another World was so much fun and a continuous learning process that I didn't mind it. Same with playing the Call of Duty games on Veteran difficulty or the multiplayer for that matter. Same idea but it doesn't bore me like super meat boy and those types do

More
20 Feb 2016 19:48 #222909 by Disgustipater
I picked up Devil Daggers on Steam for $5. It's basically modeled on Quake-style shooters, but it's in an arena where you try to stay alive for as long as possible. My record so far after about an hour is 97 seconds.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, hotseatgames, scrumpyjack

More
20 Feb 2016 21:46 #222914 by Cranberries
I really need an amazing, immersive, turn-based game for my aging iPad that somehow involves online play. Something I can pick up, play a few turns, and put away until I come back to it.

More
21 Feb 2016 02:06 #222921 by Michael Barnes
No online (doesn't need it) but Templar Battleforce would probably tickle your fancy...it's a turn based Space Hulk style game but with way more depth...you have tech trees for every class. Tons of content, very playable in short sessions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
21 Feb 2016 04:16 #222922 by MacDirk Diggler
Hmmmm. I just deleted Templar Battleforce off my iPad. I think I was on second to last screen, the one where you have to unlock a bunch of doors. I had ?20 hrs? Into it and just got bored with it. So repetitive. I think if you are looking for this kind of game try anything made by Rodeo first. Hunters, Hunters 2, Tyranid invasion, or the Warhammer one are all pretty good.

More
21 Feb 2016 05:29 #222923 by Erik Twice

Black Barney wrote: It's funny cuz I typically hate games like Super meat boy and those things which are designed that you die s million times. But Another World was so much fun and a continuous learning process that I didn't mind it. Same with playing the Call of Duty games on Veteran difficulty or the multiplayer for that matter. Same idea but it doesn't bore me like super meat boy and those types do

Yeah, if you can get over that, the game is a lot of fun so I'm glad you can do it. I just get frustrated after dying over and over because I think the shooting around and getting killed is the weakest part of the game compared to the ambiance and scenes.

I think I'm going to give up on Endless Legend. Whatever fun there could be in the game is lost thanks to its horrid balance and dumb AI. I always think "Nah, I bet it isn't too bad" and try again only to get bored because getting Era II weapons is an autowin button or because luxuries dominate the economic side or because some factions barely work. It's probably one of the most dissapointing games I've played in years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Feb 2016 20:28 #222953 by Cranberries

Alastair MacDirk wrote: Hmmmm. I just deleted Templar Battleforce off my iPad. I think I was on second to last screen, the one where you have to unlock a bunch of doors. I had ?20 hrs? Into it and just got bored with it. So repetitive. I think if you are looking for this kind of game try anything made by Rodeo first. Hunters, Hunters 2, Tyranid invasion, or the Warhammer one are all pretty good.

I love hunters 2--it's a little tougher than hunter I. In fact, I just re-installed it this morning. I'll look for their latest stuff, thanks.

From Toucharcade:
This is basically Hunters 3, albeit with a Warhammer 40K skin. Some might frame that as a negative, but it's been a few years since the last Hunters game. I'm more than willing to entertain a sequel at this point, especially one as high-quality as Deathwatch.

More
21 Feb 2016 21:20 #222954 by Sevej
I played Hunters to death back then, but really doesn't want to play any iteration of it anymore. When I think about it, maybe it's because I just had a smartphone. The system barely changes, and after XCOM playing a shooting TBS tactical game with no corner shooting makes me cringe...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Feb 2016 15:24 #223002 by Cranberries
My aging ipad does not have system 8.0, and I'm afraid to upgrade, so it looks like a lot of the new, cool games are off the table. We need a Vassal app for tablets.

More
23 Feb 2016 14:02 #223064 by boothwah
So I picked Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 of the Xbox store because they had it on the 9.99 bin and the game was so short printed when it released that it's still $39.99 bucks for a used copy at game shops. I can see why it did not sell well. It s a step backwards on level other a marginal graphics improvement from UA. Fewer characters, less customization and horrid voice acting.

More
23 Feb 2016 14:37 #223072 by jeb
That's too bad. MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE was a fucking riot. Loved that game. One of the best beat-em-ups on the PS2 and I'd carry that through the modern era. It's good times.

I'm back at DESTINY here and there. Just doing Vanguard missions and dabbling with PvP. Trying out new weapon loadouts and powerup schemes. Hunter with Shadestep (from my helm) must be annoying as hell for my PvP opponents. I am just smoking around and killing them with The Last Word gut shots. I usually get killed when sl ow ly re loa d ing. I generically need to get better at wiggling. Everyone is wiggling all the damn time.

More
24 Feb 2016 00:06 #223123 by hotseatgames
Bought Heroes of Normandie on Steam since it's on sale right now. I've played the first 4 missions (3 of which are tutorials) and it flows well. Basically like playing the board game but you don't have to do any addition on your own. I have no idea yet whether or not the AI will be any good.

More
24 Feb 2016 08:54 #223134 by SuperflyPete
Alternating between Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil, and Fallout 4. I'm not a huge fan of Diablo but it keeps the wifey happy since it's her favorite game. I wish there were more isometric view action RPGs. I could literally play them forever.

More
24 Feb 2016 09:31 #223147 by Mr. White
I'm considering Shadowrun Returns for my Kindle Fire. How many hours is it to completion and is it similar to the amazing SNES game?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds