October 09, 2023
2543 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Suggest some Man movies that I can get on Netflix/Hulu/RedBox/Zune

More
28 Feb 2012 19:58 #117943 by Fallen

wolvendancer wrote: Sonatine: only the Japanese are making real gangster movies these days, and Beat Takeshi does it best. Brutal.

I was totally with you when you said this, but....

wolvendancer wrote: Krull: Oh hell yeah.

...then you shit all over it with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2012 21:01 #117949 by wolvendancer
Fallen:

I'd never compare 'Sonatine' with 'Krull', of course. Completely different movies to be enjoyed in completely different ways. 'Sonatine' is a fine steak; 'Krull' is that special flavor of cotton candy you once had at the county fair as a child. K'rull' doesn't even belong in the same room as 'Sonatine', but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed on its own. This applies doubly to 'Revenge of the Ninja' (!).

The topic was 'man movies', not 'man movies that transcend their genre to become great movies in their own right'.

More
28 Feb 2012 22:31 #117951 by Space Ghost
Just rent the entire American Ninja and Delta Force series

More
28 Feb 2012 23:39 #117955 by Michael Barnes
What the hell is going on in this crazy house, people are denigrating Krull? Friends, there are FEW IF ANY films that more perfectly capture the spirit of 1980s junk fantasy! The film was actually CALLED Dungeons and Dragons early in production! It's directed by the guy that did Bullitt! Liam Neeson is in it! It has the GLAIVE!

Seriously, I want to call for Fallen's AT badge right now. It makes no sense that someone wouldn't love this movie. From the spandex to the faux stormtroopers with laser swords, you can't go wrong with it.

Another one- Sword & the Sorceror. It's a little hard to find these days, but you've got Lee Horsely with a FOUR BLADED sword in it. Utter garbage, but the good kind.

It's not really manly (more camp, really) but it does abut against women's low tolerance for shoddy genre films...Flash Gordon. You can watch it on Netflix. It's awesome. You can back it up with some of the Buster Crabbe serials, it's really amazing how they're not really that much different aside from the color photography and Queen songs.

American Ninja...saw it in the theater on my birthday.

How about some martial arts pictures? There's some good ones on Netflix...Ip Man is definitely worth seeing if you want something current. I think Jet Li's Swordsman II is on there, which you absolutely must see.

Oh, Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forver...Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, and the criminally underappreciated Yuen Biao.

More
28 Feb 2012 23:47 - 29 Feb 2012 01:04 #117956 by Fallen
Ok. The mention of Sonatine has inspired me to contribute as opposed to knock someone else's choice of Krull(I actually loved it as a kid, but I triple dosed & decided it would be a good idea to watch this and a few others movies from my childhood, the flashbacks are still fucking my shit up).

1) The Vengeance Trilogy: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy & Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Watch these before they all end up re-made in Spike Lee's image, although they'll probably be better then if it was put together by Spielburg w/Dill Smith as the star as originally planned.

2) Audition This movie starts out nice & subtle, the story builds/accelerates to such a crescendo that it'll leave you bleeding out in a pool of self inflicted gore.

3) The City of Violence Two pissed off, Katana wielding, best friends chopping limbs off of Triad scumbags in a private tea house. Nuff said.

4) Hana-bi (Fireworks) A cop take time to spend with his wife who is dying of Leukemia. But, for a questionably crooked cop, there truly is no rest for the wicked. You'll never look at chopsticks the same way again.

5) Un Chien Andalou Spanish director Luis Buñuel's first movie. Working with Salvadore Dali, they make a pretty crazy silent surrealist film filled with memorable images that are hard to forget.

Looking at the list I'm realizing that I have a sick fascination with eyeball gore. Awesome! Kiti kiti kiti.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 01:04 by Fallen.

More
29 Feb 2012 01:49 #117959 by Black Barney
You can FEEL the D&D in Krull, I don't know how people hate it. It's clearly a party of adventurers and you can just FEEL the idiot rolling a 1 on a savings throw in the room with the spikes coming out of the walls. haha

More
29 Feb 2012 02:40 #117961 by Bulwyf
Hey I like Krull and all but if we're going down the schlocky 80's fantasy then Dragonslayer has it beat.

And if were doing kung-fu movies, I like Iron Monkey a lot. A chinese version of the robin hood type story.

-Will

More
29 Feb 2012 05:18 #117964 by Sagrilarus

Bulwyf wrote: Hey I like Krull and all but if we're going down the schlocky 80's fantasy then Dragonslayer has it beat.

There's too much Christ imagery in Dragonslayer to claim the title. I'd call out The Sword and The Sorceror for the pinacle of 80s schlock, with plenty of pointless nudity to close the deal.

S.

More
29 Feb 2012 07:50 #117965 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote:

Bulwyf wrote: Hey I like Krull and all but if we're going down the schlocky 80's fantasy then Dragonslayer has it beat.

There's too much Christ imagery in Dragonslayer to claim the title. I'd call out The Sword and The Sorceror for the pinacle of 80s schlock, with plenty of pointless nudity to close the deal.

S.

I guess I have been unaware of the imagery -- what exactly is it? In any event, can't deny that Vermithrax isn't a great dragon. The SPI game is HORRIBLE though.

I always liked Excalibur for my 80s fantasy movie.

More
29 Feb 2012 08:33 #117968 by wolvendancer
The one true classic of 1980s fantasy cinema has not yet been mentioned:

HAWK THE SLAYER.

So Dungeons and Dragon-y it hurts. Wizards, Warriors, a giant who isn't, a dwarf without a beard but with a whip, a guy with a repeating crossbow and one hand, an elf with five-oclock shadow who fires arrows more swiftly than a minigun fire bullets, and JACK FUCKING PALLANCE for the villain. I was so obsessed with this movie as a kid I audiotaped it and would play it in the background while I wrote bad Battletech fanfic. Superb.

More
29 Feb 2012 10:07 - 29 Feb 2012 10:10 #117969 by ThirstyMan
I have it.....Tobe Hooper's 1985 Lifeforce on Netflix. It is absolutely shite and an out and out titsploitation science fiction movie.

For the booby connoisseur this is as good as it gets on netflix.

AS an added bonus, Peter Firth looks a total dorkoid in a white polo neck jumper trying to play a tough SAS investigator......he looks a complete dick
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 10:10 by ThirstyMan.

More
29 Feb 2012 17:33 #117994 by aerodynamics
Hey, this is turning into a "Netflixpoiltation" thread...I like it. How about "Humanoids From The Deep"? Currently available for streaming. 'Mutant fish monsters bring mayhem to a sleepy oceanside community as they kidnap -- and mate with -- the town's nubile teenage girls'. What's not to love?

More
29 Feb 2012 17:59 #117995 by bfkiller
Is The Long Good Friday on Netflix? That's the manliest man movie that was ever manly.

More
29 Feb 2012 18:27 #117999 by Michael Barnes
Oh yeah, Long Good Friday is freaking awesome. Bob Hoskins is amazing in it. Totaly ruthless.

More
29 Feb 2012 18:49 #118000 by ThirstyMan
+1 for Long Good Friday. Hoskins even has a believable Laaandan accent. Also roll up to see Pierce Brosnan play a gay Irish hitman (I think).

Lots of 'you fackin wot?' going on, which is the accent I slip into when perusing the salubrious haunts of 'Sarth Laaandan'.

Brilliant action movie....

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds