October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

What movie would you dearly love to see remade?

More
09 Jul 2015 16:45 #205892 by Gregarius
Despite three failed attempts, I'd still like to see them try to make Matheson's I Am Legend (Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth is probably the closest to the original story).

Doc Savage and The Shadow could both be awesome if handled correctly.

As far as sci-fi goes, most of the time I'd prefer something new rather than see something familiar updated or improved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2015 17:02 #205895 by John Myers
The best thing about making Dune in 2015 is that the climate makes it a lot easier to split it across multiple movies, if you combined the first two books and spread it across three films I think the story would actually have the space it needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
09 Jul 2015 22:13 #205911 by Mr. White
i've enjoyed a handful of remakes.

The Thing (if it counts)
Night of the Living Dead (directed by Savini)

Maybe that's it...stumped for a third.

I'd be up for something a bit more off beat that didn't work out like Tank Girl.

More
09 Jul 2015 22:21 #205912 by Black Barney
I hear the new Mad Max is pretty good.

I've seen it five times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
10 Jul 2015 03:30 #205920 by Hex Sinister
Johnny Mnemonic. (Needs new title.)

Nineteen Eighty-Four. (Needs new title?)

More
10 Jul 2015 08:44 #205926 by Turek
The Witcher

More
10 Jul 2015 09:12 #205928 by Michael Barnes
Heh, I hear that is really bad...I think that would make for for a really good, high end TV series.

More
10 Jul 2015 09:21 #205931 by Josh Look

Mr. White wrote: i've enjoyed a handful of remakes.

The Thing (if it counts)

I'd be up for something a bit more off beat that didn't work out like Tank Girl.

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the 70s is great, too.

More
10 Jul 2015 10:47 #205939 by Egg Shen
Personally, I'd like to see people do remakes of movies that missed the mark the first time around, or weren't incredibly popular. Why remake something that is already a classic? It just comes across as cash grab and it almost never works out.

Think of how they re-did Roger Corman's Little Shop of Horrors in the 80s. Took a lesser known entity and turned it into a fucking great film. Sure it was technically an adaption of the musical rather than a straight up remake...but still it grew out the original source material. I'd MUCH rather see studios invest in a few projects like that.

Movies that could use a remake:

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter - This is ripe for a remake, re-imagining. Swashbucking vampire hunter...awesome Gothic atmosphere, new types of vampires to hunt. This would make a great series of films. They'll never get a modern actress to replace the sexiness of Caroline Munro. This is a great film that doesn't seem to get much love. I'd love to see Kronos get a second shot.

Hell Comes to Frogtown - Yeah I said it. Give this sumbitch a decent budget. Re-write the story and get a charismatic lead. Maybe changes the name lol.

The Ice Pirates - This is such a weird ass film. It's not really great...but it has a few memorable scenes. A remake of this could really be fun. Remember when movies were actually fun to go see? They weren't all serious as fuck...yeah remake this and bring back some goofy fun films.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch - Fuck Michael Myers. When Carpenter came up with the idea of making a new Halloween each October that focused on a new story...it was genius. Season of the Witch is flawed as all get out, but I like it. I would much rather have a new "Halloween" come out every October than Insidious 75, Conjuring 40 and Paranormal Activity: We Stopped Trying. We've seen enough Michael Myers...his story has been told and retold and told...go back to this idea and run with it for a few years. I always though Carpenter's plan was great and I'd like to see a company have the scrotum to follow through with it.

Lifeforce - When this came out...man was it a mess. An unwieldy, bizarre, sprawling, disaster. It's got a lot of cool elements, Naked Space Vampires...turning people into desiccated husks...Patrick Stewart. I'd love to see someone turn this into a big budget summer blockbuster lol.

StarCrash - Dear lord is this a bad film. It's main redeeming quality is Caroline Munro running around in that black tiny space bikini. Again, I'd love to see some lunatic turn this into amazing sci fi epic that ruled the summer months.

Orca: The Killer Whale - I've always been fascinated with killer aquatic creature features. From Gill-man to Jaws and beyond...they all hit the mark. I happen to like the original film with Richard Harris. It's got a great score by the legendary Ennio Morricone, some beautiful shots of Orca whales and a batshit crazy revenge story. The killer whale is basically The Punisher out to get vengeance on the man who killed his family. Fucking great stuff. Bring this back...no CGI whales or sharks though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
10 Jul 2015 11:04 - 10 Jul 2015 11:07 #205940 by Mr. White
Some good choices, Egg, but I take umbrage to this:

Egg Shen wrote: Hell Comes to Frogtown - Yeah I said it. Give this sumbitch a decent budget. Re-write the story and get a charismatic lead. Maybe changes the name lol.

Whaaa?!...makes me wanna throw up...

Piper is that film!
Last edit: 10 Jul 2015 11:07 by Mr. White.

More
10 Jul 2015 11:12 #205942 by John Myers

i've enjoyed a handful of remakes.

The Thing (if it counts)

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the 70s is great, too.

The Maltese Falcon had technically been adapted twice before the classic Bogart/John Huston version.

I actually think the Gore Verbinski adaption of the Ring is a pretty good even if my memory say that it owes more to Videodrome than Ringu.

Along those lines I've never seen the film adaption of Uzumaki but I've heard its really disappointing, which is a shame because Junji Ito's comics are some of the best horror stories I've ever read and could really come alive in the right hands.

It would be cool to see Coscarelli's take on a re-booted Phantasm series, with the time and money to tell as coherent (or intentionally incoherent) of a story as he always wanted. Its such a weird franchise that evolved to have so much fun and bizarre world building (most of which I'm assuming was the result of the need to extend the premise for the sequels) that the end result could be really fun*.

*Note: I am huge Coscarelli apologist.

More
10 Jul 2015 11:19 #205943 by Turek

Michael Barnes wrote: Heh, I hear that is really bad...I think that would make for for a really good, high end TV series.

Man, I went to the movies to watch this mess. It was a really painful experience, and I don't even like witcher very much.
TV series exist already, they were making movie and series at the same time.

More
10 Jul 2015 11:20 - 10 Jul 2015 11:21 #205944 by Egg Shen

Mr. White wrote: Some good choices, Egg, but I take umbrage to this:

Egg Shen wrote: Hell Comes to Frogtown - Yeah I said it. Give this sumbitch a decent budget. Re-write the story and get a charismatic lead. Maybe changes the name lol.

Whaaa?!...makes me wanna throw up...

Piper is that film!

Hahahaha....sorry, when I re-read my sentence it makes it seem like I disliked Piper in the role. That's not the case at all! I think Piper is great and the only reason the film is worthwhile. If they were to remake the film they would need someone like him that could carry the movie.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2015 11:21 by Egg Shen.

More
10 Jul 2015 12:19 #205946 by ChristopherMD
Jumanji. A fun idea, but the effects don't hold up at all. Zathura too while they're at it.

More
10 Jul 2015 13:05 - 10 Jul 2015 13:08 #205951 by Michael Barnes
Reboot Phantasm, one of the great American films of the 1970s? Are you out of your mind? That movie is UNTOUCHABLE. It just wouldn't be the same without the incomprehensible bullshit, weird references to Dune, dirtbikes and REGGIE. All of that would not exist in a big budget movie. That is actually, I think, one of my top ten favorite movies of all time. I am actually wearing a Phantasm t-shirt right now, I shit you not. NO REMAKE.

Egg, you and me and Frank Branham and Zev need to get together and talk movies. Screw games. Us four would be a PANEL OF THE GODS in terms of discussing obscure cinema.

Captain Kronos...oh man, that would be a GREAT one to do over...it's such a cool idea, and Clemens had a good handle on how to do it, but it just wasn't really the right time for that.

Halloween 3- the concept of this movie is BRILLEEEEEEEAAAAANNNNT...witches make killer masks and robots to take over the world. The movie is a mess. I'd love to see some kind of second attempt on this one.

Starcrash- oh lord. But yeah, Caroline Munro makes up for a lot.

Jumanji- I just watched that the other day, that is a TERRIBLE movie. But the book is amazing. That could definitely be redone, and without all of that boring junk that clutters up the first 45 minutes.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2015 13:08 by Michael Barnes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds