October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2743 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

2015 Oscar Nominations

More
14 Jan 2016 14:43 #219957 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I *almost* went with Larson for Actress. Surprised you're so adamantly against Blanchett winning it.

Inarritu just won last year. He won't get it twice in a row, especially not for Revenant. There's a slight chance it could go to McCarthy if they don't feel like splitting from Best Picture, but I seriously doubt it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2016 14:44 #219958 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
PS-

For those playing at home, please remember that Oscar wins have almost nothing to do with merit. The nominations reflect merit; the win is just business and politics.

More
14 Jan 2016 14:48 - 14 Jan 2016 14:59 #219960 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
This is probably the only year ever that I've seen all of the Best Picture nods. Great year for films, and I'm pretty happy with the selection. I didn't love Brooklyn like many of the critics... it was very good, especially the first part, and I can see the actress taking that Oscar, but it felt kind of ordinary, ultimately. That's the only thing I don't think deserves a Best Pic nomination among the list.

Jeb, Room is not so much kid-in-danger, really. So much more than that. Beautiful film.

The Revenant deserved some nominations, but I don't see it doing that well in terms of wins. Too many other standouts this year for that to run the table, especially when the same director and his picture just won last year. And it does its wilderness survival revenge thing really well, but I don't think it transcends that in terms of being some huge artistic achievement. No way it wins Best Picture.

My predictions for the categories I care about or have seen enough of:

Best Picture: Spotlight (I hope for Fury Road, but I think Gregarius is right that this is more of a typical Oscar choice... and a great film)
Director: George Miller
Actor: DiCaprio should get it, but they might just get a kick out of snubbing him again and go with a second consecutive win for Redmayne
Actress: Cate Blanchett (I haven't seen Carol, but it got a lot of raves from critics, and I think this is how it will be recognized, though I'd prefer to see Brie Larson get it)
Supp. Actor: Mark Ruffalo (this might be the closest category... I wouldn't be surprised if any of them win, though I think Stallone's nod is more of a tribute than meant to be serious)
Supp. Actress: Jennifer Jason Leigh (I've only seen 3 of the 5 pics, so I'm flailing a bit here... I did really like Kate Winslet in Steve Jobs, so it could be her, or maybe Rooney Mara from Carol, if Blanchett doesn't take Best Actress)
Animated: Inside Out (I'm going to see Anomalisa tomorrow, but I can't see this category going to something other than a family film)
Adapted Screenplay: Room
Original Screenplay: Spotlight (happy to see Ex Machina there, though)
Score: Morricone for Hateful Eight (but Sicario had a great score and Williams might just get it again)
Cinematography: The Revenant, hands down
Film Editing: Better as hell be Margaret Sixel for Fury Road
Visual Effects: Force Awakens (might be another for Fury Road, though)
Makeup: Fury Road by a mile
Production Design: Fury Road
Last edit: 14 Jan 2016 14:59 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
14 Jan 2016 14:49 - 14 Jan 2016 14:51 #219961 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Greg, yeah, 3rd place makes it that she's way out of contention. Brie Larson is pretty much a shoo-in, but Ronan COULD possibly take it. Cate is just not in the running there at all, but I agree she has a better shot than the last two nominees.

Greg, you've made me interested in watching the Oscars just for these two categories so thanks for that! I want to see if you're right.

Yeah, for Director, it's really gotta be Inarritu. I can't wait to see him get two back to back, so sick. You're right that McCarthy is the only one that could take it from him.

I don't think I expressed it enough with my initial post but I'm honestly pretty shocked that Ridley Scott didn't get a directing nomination for Martian. That movie is good BECAUSE of the directing. Other elements were good as well but it's really well directed.

man, you guys really think George Miller is going to take Directing? You've read too many romance novels.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2016 14:51 by Black Barney.

More
14 Jan 2016 14:50 #219962 by Grudunza
Yeah, that's the biggest snub I can think of - Ridley Scott for director. Also, Charlize Theron for Fury Road would have been nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
14 Jan 2016 14:53 #219963 by Black Barney
oh and when people say in front of you, "WHAT?! NO STAR WARS FOR BEST PICTURE?!", tell them to get their head out of their ass
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Jan 2016 15:00 #219964 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: oh and when people say in front of you, "WHAT?! NO STAR WARS FOR BEST PICTURE?!", tell them to get their head out of their ass

Right, though I do think JJ Abrams could have been in consideration for Best Director. Not surprised that he's not, but I think that might have been warranted.

More
14 Jan 2016 16:24 #219979 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Sorry I'm the asshole that spelled shoo-in incorrectly.

My predictions:

Best Picture: Spotlight (but it should be The Revenant)
Director: McCarthy
Actor: DiCaprio
Actress: Larson
Supp. Actor: Stallone
Supp. Actress: Mara
Animated: Inside Out
Adapted Screenplay: Big Short
Original Screenplay: Spotlight
Score: Hateful Eight
Cinematography: The Revenant
Film Editing: Fury Road
Visual Effects: Force Awakens
Makeup: Fury Road
Production Design: Fury Road

Costume Design: Cinderella
Sound Editing: Force Awakens
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
14 Jan 2016 18:00 #219985 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
John Williams gets a nomination for the Force Awakens score, and Junkie XL doesn't get one for Fury Road? Now that is some injustice right there.

More
17 Jan 2016 22:03 #220087 by ChristopherMD
I watched Brooklyn. It was a really good film, but regardless of MMFR I don't see it taking Best Picture. However I can totally see Ronan getting Best Actress because she carried this whole movie and it got the Best Pic nom.

More
18 Jan 2016 07:52 #220094 by Black Barney
I saw BROOKLYN Last night too! Awesome flick, loved it. Did you see Room? Ronan won't be able to beat Brie Larson for best actress.

And Spotlight is gonna nab best pic

More
18 Jan 2016 08:32 #220097 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I don't watch a lot of movies and haven't in the past, and I've been trying to fix that somewhat. So for the past two years I've made a list of ten movies I have to watch in the upcoming year. It's been a fun activity, and I've increased the number of movies I've seen in addition to those on the list. (For a long time I just plain didn't like the act of sitting down and watching a movie, period.)

Yesterday I made the list for 2016. All things I haven't seen before, and a combination of suggestions from others, things I've been interested in, and things I feel I should see. After a lot of noir and such in the previous years I tried to go a little bit lighter this year.

The Great Dictator (1940)
On the Waterfront (1954)
The Sweet Smell Of Success (1957)
Breathless (1960)
Bedazzled (1967)
1776 (1972)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)
Valley Girl (1983)
Mansfield Park (1999)
Attack The Block (2011)

More
18 Jan 2016 09:08 #220102 by Black Barney
Oh man, Attack the Block, you're in for a treat
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
18 Jan 2016 09:55 #220106 by the_jake_1973
The Great Dictator is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, ChristopherMD

More
18 Jan 2016 15:09 #220141 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
whoops, meant to put this in the MOVIES thread

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds