October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
13 May 2015 12:14 #202349 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I have intentions to see Mad Max this Friday. I can't wait!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2015 17:00 #202391 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Going to see this Friday night. I'm excited, but cautious in my excitement.

More
13 May 2015 19:18 #202393 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Mr. White wrote: Which seems incredible because it feels like this film has been in development hell for the better part of a decade and a half. If it's really this great, I'd be interested in hearing the story on how this was pulled off. Maybe some future documentary on the making of Fury Road?

There are 2 reasons it was delayed about 5 years once production was seriously started that have nothing to do with the film being bad. Firstly we were in drought in Australia for 10 years and then just as they were about to start filming the drought broke and large swathes of the country were severely flooded twice in a two year period. This meant that all accessible appropriate filming locations were under water and then green with vegetation for another year or two. So filming had to be halted and eventually they just gave up waiting and filmed in Namibia.

The second was that after the initial shoot, they showed a rough cut to the studio and the studio loved it so much that they threw extra money at them to go out and make it bigger and better, so they had a second period of filming that delayed the release by another year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Cranberries, stoic

More
13 May 2015 21:00 - 13 May 2015 21:04 #202394 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I thought there was a lot more than that.

Weren't they going to make this in the early 00's, but the Iraq War put it on hold? I also thought Heath Ledger was going to star....then he died. Then there was the move to just make it an anime that Barnes mentioned.

It feels like there were other drama/events that I'm missing....

I'm not saying the film was ever bad, just surprised it seems to have overcome all these obstacles (to include time) and be as great as it appears. I guess I feel like it seems that when a flick has this many starts and stops...the end result is a bit rough to say the least.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 21:04 by Mr. White.

More
13 May 2015 22:12 #202395 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
According to this dude it's just feminist propaganda.

www.returnofkings.com/63036/why-you-shou...ad-max-feminist-road

I didn't even realize this page existed, but this writer is kind of hilarious even if it is by accident.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
14 May 2015 08:26 #202401 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Seats ordered; Friday, it's goin' down!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 May 2015 12:06 #202420 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

JonJacob wrote: According to this dude it's just feminist propaganda.

www.returnofkings.com/63036/why-you-shou...ad-max-feminist-road

I didn't even realize this page existed, but this writer is kind of hilarious even if it is by accident.

Christ, that guy is an absolute fuckwit.

More
14 May 2015 12:40 #202424 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I'm heading off to the theater on Monday, in hopes of avoiding obnoxious teens. My hopes are high, and for what it's worth - Metacritic has it tracking very well. I'm curious to know if paying a premium for 3D will be worth it. I usually scoff at such novelties, but this film is making me consider giving the glasses another shot.

More
15 May 2015 22:04 #202545 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Saw this tonight. Spoiler free review. I mostly bitch about how horrid it looked.

Orange to Teal to Orange to Teal to Orange to Normal. Maybe someone can explain to me why Miller waited until the last 10 minutes to remove the awful color filters. I enjoyed the movie (this review may sound otherwise) but I'd have enjoyed it more without the orange/teal shit. I don't know how much was practical effects, but I saw a lot of greenscreen and CGI. Even the big explosions looked CG, but that could be due to all the red in them and orange filtering. The final chase ends with a couple of cheesy CGI'd 3D pop-outs (I saw it in 2D). None of the panoramic vistas of Road Warrior here, but there are some fun visuals. Just to get it out of the way; Road Warrior is ten times better than this movie, imo. Also I don't care about feminist shit, but I will say Fiorosa was the star of this movie not Max. Whenever he went off screen the movie stayed with her. I grew up watching female asskickers like Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton so I have no problem with Theron here. My problem is Max not being the main character of a Mad Max movie. I liked it overall and had a good time, but I don't get the hype for it. This probably won't even be my favorite movie of 2015. That being said, I tend to warm up to movies like this a lot more on a second viewing at home. So I reserve the right to update my opinions later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
16 May 2015 08:29 - 16 May 2015 10:03 #202547 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I'd like to come here and give some critical analysis of the technical aspects that bugged me about the movie, but truthfully, I can not, as it was pretty much bad ass. It was like a roller coaster ride that paused for about half a second before the next loop-d-loop. I thought it captured the mythology and fantasy of living in a post apoc. world perfectly, and not in that typical Dark Knight kind of gritty "real" way, but in that hilariously caricature kind of way. It was awesome.

My only qualms was this one self indulgent 3d-gasm scene, but I'm sure it was an homage to those 3d films of the 80's.
Last edit: 16 May 2015 10:03 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

More
16 May 2015 09:01 - 16 May 2015 10:50 #202548 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Some quick thoughts on the film.

* I understand that all of the Mad Max films are essentially oral tellings of this mysterious 'Max' who wanders the wastelands. Beyond Thunderdome is the legend as told by the people of Bartertown, Road Warrior as reflected by the Feral Boy, etc. If this is true it works as none of the films need to be really consistent with each other which is great for a series of films and I'm not sure how many others are framed like that. This particular tale is likely how the people of the Citadel tell the legend of Furiosa and Max is a player in that legend. I'm totally cool with it, and look forward to the Furiosa film (if it happens).

* I'm sure this is the most wall to wall action movie ever made. I was pretty tense the whole time and the pace hardly ever let up. Incredible for this to go on as long as it did and not feel tedious.

* Miller put on a master display of 'show, don't tell'. Hardly any words spoken, and really no exposition, yet there was plenty of character depth and story. Fantastic job!

* The wasteland didn't feel as desolate and remote as previous films. Seemed to be a few cities, and other tribes, all around. Also, almost every scene was beautifully shot, but with that everything was a little too 'clean'. Polished in post-production may be the better explanation. Not as gritty as early entries.

* Is there really that much action on the roads between the Citadel, Bullettown, and Gastown to warrant all these gonzo vehicle designs? ;)

* As amazing as this film is, I don't know if it's something I could watch repeatedly. I suppose my personal favorite films have a bit more dialogue.

Overall, without a doubt a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. I'll probably check it out again before it leaves the theater.
Last edit: 16 May 2015 10:50 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, jpat, stoic

More
16 May 2015 09:28 #202549 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Sounding good, even though you bozos liked Daredevil, so I reserve judgement until the summer when I will fly to NYC and go and watch it with no fear of censorship.

What else will be playing around end of July?

More
16 May 2015 09:42 #202551 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Saw it in 3D. This movie is the post-apocalyptic Pacific Rim. That means it's totally awesome when people aren't talking. Luckily that's almost always. I imagine the stunt crew repeatedly saying "you want us to do WHAT?" The chase scenes are just unbelievably awesome and over the top. And the explosions, my God the explosions!!!

So the story and acting didn't move me... Who cares, when the action is cranked up to 11. Go see it.

More
16 May 2015 11:05 #202552 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Attachments:

More
16 May 2015 13:07 #202554 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Mad Dog: It was a storm that caused the grey.

My review: It was longer than I expected. Maybe 20 minutes too long. I went with 3 others, my wife, my BFF, and his wife. The latter two ADORED it. We talked about some of the best parts all night whilst getting fucked up and playing pool. It had SO MUCH to talk about. The beginning of the film was a cross between Fallout 3 and Rage, and was one of the best "first 10 minutes" of film that I've ever seen. Totally set the pace and the mood.

The film itself, the plot, was great. It totally lived up to the original and part of me was expecting some tie in to the other films. All in all it was excellent, but not as good as I had hoped it would be, although I can't imagine that even being possible because I had such high hopes.

Tom Hardy LOOKS like Max quite a bit. Mannerisms, everything was spot on. The timeline seems to be that this was the third chronological film; he still had his Pursuit Special, and in Thunderdome, it's gone. The question remains - how did he end up getting his Interceptor back after saving the people of the oil city?

The only thing that really kind of isn't in line with the other films is the "madness". Max is portrayed as a man harrowed by his own demons (inability to protect his family) which wasn't as big a part of the other films. Really, this should be in between Mad Max and Road Warrior when you look at Max's psyche in this film. This film kind of alludes to him defeating his demons by the end.

Anyhow, it's just a really entertaining film, despite kind of being wonky from a chronological standpoint.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds