October 09, 2023
2787 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2933 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

News Flash: Lew Pulsipher Has Been Cockpunched By Drake

More
07 Aug 2013 18:41 #158000 by Ken B.
In regards to the complaints about the site featuring talk about movies and music, one of the things I think I and others envisioned was a place that wasn't "just" boardgames. Most of us are so wrapped up in pop culture of some kind that it's just a natural fit.

One of my first main page articles when this website went live was...a review of the movie "Cloverfield." This is nothing new.

I'm sorry if any feel the quality of contributions have decreased. I feel the exact opposite. Barnes' and Matt's stuff is aces, just like they always were. Nate is such a good writer that I oftentimes feel embarrassed by my own contributions by comparison, he is the real deal.

And this website is and always has been driven by its users, not like others where it's the other way around. Blogs are open to everyone and Front Page submissions are always accepted for review.

The only negative I think is that the forums have gotten a touch "bitchier" over the years--some of the camaraderie was replaced by the need to get one over on someone else. But we have a lot of strong opinions and competitive spirits on these boards, so that's probably just a natural extension of that.

And I've met and gamed with more cool people from this website than any other combined. I'm often amazed at the quality of folks we tend to attract. Funny, let people have a voice, and make sure you're doing things for the right reason, and that's just sort of how things work out.

We're always open to criticism. Lord knows I've had my share. But we're also always open to helping hands, if those who have a voice want to contribute it. I wouldn't want it any other way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: username, Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2013 18:43 #158001 by bomber
I'm staggered anyone is sticking up for His Royal Highness Lewis of Pulsipher frankly

by the way, how many of you here have ACTUALLY been cock punched. Such a colourful expression. Ive been kicked in the nuts several times, and accidentally hit there, but I dont think I've ever been cock punched. I think I'd rather be cock punched than bollock punched for example, I'm just thinking of the physiology here.

More
07 Aug 2013 18:47 #158002 by Schweig!

ldsdbomber wrote: Iby the way, how many of you here have ACTUALLY been cock punched. Such a colourful expression.

I was cockpunched once by a football.

More
07 Aug 2013 19:20 #158007 by Almalik
Ahh, everyone knows this site has gone downhill since Avery got his designer cred, decided he was too cool to hang out here, packed up his tank tops and his brilliant insights, and left.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, Schweig!, VonTush, san il defanso, SuperflyPete, wadenels

More
07 Aug 2013 19:20 #158008 by SuperflyPete

tscook wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

tscook wrote: So Pete is simultaneously boring and ~eDgY~ in real life?

Yeah, I never got the whole "edgy" thing. I think people try to be "edgy" (whatever the fuck that means in reality) and they're faking it for attention. Me, I'm me. Call it what you want.

And your mom thought I was edgy when I had her legs at the edge of the bed, and wiping my dick off on her curtains is never boring. ;)

So you're not faking it for attention, you're just naturally a cretin desperate for attention in any way, shape or form. Thanks for the clarification.

What the hell makes you think I want attention? I couldn't give a fuck. You don't see me going around posting all over the web, don't see me talking in multiple threads about reviews I've done that don't get any responses...I don't really need people's attention. I post what I post, and if you choose to respond, great, if not, I don't really give two shits.

I left BGG because I got TOO MUCH fucking attention. I just wanted to write reviews and go on about my day. But muhvuggas always have to put their 2 cents in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, jeb

More
07 Aug 2013 19:22 #158009 by SuperflyPete
It never ceases to amuse me how so many people will assume my motivations.

More
07 Aug 2013 19:23 #158010 by Schweig!

Almalik wrote: Ahh, everyone knows this site has gone downhill since Avery got his designer cred, decided he was too cool to hang out here, packed up his tank tops and his brilliant insights, and left.

What a sell-out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
07 Aug 2013 20:53 #158014 by mads b.
Drake's very funny, but the review is shit. It's mean, and mean doesn't suit grown ups.

Pulsipher's fault is not that he writes dry as hell stuff or that he writes acedemically about games, but that what he has to say about them from an academic viewpoint is not even remotely as interesting as the stuf Sag writes.

Pete seems to me like a cool guy who, however, would be much more cool with a) less references to wanting to beat people up and b) less poisoning of people's beverages.

The Fortress could really use more articles that's not reviews. And while I couldn't care less about all the music and comic book talk, I like the short and easy format in the "stuff I've played/read/watched/listened to"-columns.

Also, it's not friday, dudes.

Dixit.

More
07 Aug 2013 21:20 #158015 by wadenels
This thread is teetering so quickly between what the fuck is your problem and I understand and appreciate your contributions that some poor playground kid is going to walk by too closely and take a seesaw upshot to the chin.

I haven't been here at F:AT since the beginning, but I've been lurking for longer than my account has existed. The reason I registered was because I thought there were occasionally some pretty stellar threads and articles and I wanted to comment. I still think there are some pretty stellar threads and articles. Some of the material here is stuff I never would have come across and read anywhere else, like DukeofChutney's last article about two Peloponnesian games.

I don't really have any input on Drake's piece. I read it when it was first posted and thought it was alright. Not his best work, but more entertaining and informative than a rules summary and components breakdown masquerading as a review.

More
07 Aug 2013 21:32 #158016 by jeb
New signature line!

I understand and appreciate your contributions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, wice

More
07 Aug 2013 21:51 #158021 by Shellhead
I think that Pete just loves the word cockpunch and was anxious to use it today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Schweig!, Msample

More
07 Aug 2013 22:15 #158022 by Ken B.

Shellhead wrote: I think that Pete just loves the word cockpunch and was anxious to use it today.

Does this have anything to do with the band, "Five Finger Dick Punch?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Aug 2013 22:31 - 07 Aug 2013 22:44 #158023 by san il defanso

Ken B. wrote: Nate is such a good writer that I oftentimes feel embarrassed by my own contributions by comparison, he is the real deal.

It's good to be the king.

Seriously though, you're gonna make me blush.

mads b. wrote: The Fortress could really use more articles that's not reviews.

This has always been a challenge for me, but I think we do alright. Heck, last week I even tried my hand at writing something that was at least intended as humorous.

Someone else (maybe Jeff?) mentioned that we aren't as good at picking out new games and trumpeting news on here as we once were. I can't speak for sure why this might be, but the somewhat rocky relationship with FFG I'm sure is a factor. It's also just harder to stay abreast of what's hot and new, because so much happens through Kickstarter. I don't have a lot of interest in trumpeting a new game until it's actually on store shelves, and that's an increasingly fuzzy thing in the age of crowdfunding.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2013 22:44 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
07 Aug 2013 23:28 #158026 by Schweig!

jeb wrote: New signature line!

I understand and appreciate your contributions.

he fucking dick then reconciliation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, VonTush

More
08 Aug 2013 02:17 #158037 by ThirstyMan
I don't think the site has gone down in quality in the four short years I have been posting. I enjoy reading about games but also a shitload of other things. I can be a little over the top but I live in the ass end of the universe so I have an excuse ( Qatar isn't even close..).

I enjoy the politics, music, philosophy, physics, religion, ranting threads just as much as I enjoy the game reviews. So keep it up, assholes, you're making my life a bit more tolerable.

Also, I concur, Pulsiphers articles are pretty boring and he does exude arrogance. On the other hand, I have it on good authority, that his articles bring a lot of traffic here. My writings bring no new traffic BUT I have made loadsa friends solely because of this site....so fuck the haters.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds