October 09, 2023
2588 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2784 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good - Ghostbusters Boardgame?

More
10 Feb 2015 13:23 #197311 by VonTush
That's just simply not true.
We'll see how the campaign wraps up, and with bits in the USA Today I'm sure it'll keep rocketing up like it currently is. I can get a product down the line but cheaper. Won't be the exact same though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:38 - 10 Feb 2015 13:39 #197317 by SuperflyPete
Sag, you're forgetting something: It's his money to spend.

I think you're now venturing into WRONGBADFUNLand.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 13:39 by SuperflyPete.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:42 - 10 Feb 2015 13:43 #197318 by Colorcrayons
Cryptozoic and Matt Hyra are enough reasons themselves to pass on this.

I like the concept of the game, and the concept has promise. But those who it is attached to? No fucking sale.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 13:43 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister

More
10 Feb 2015 13:53 #197321 by VonTush

Sagrilarus wrote:

VonTush wrote: You all are sounding much like the BGG Illuminati back in the day.

No, this is your father talking. You're throwing money in a hole. You'll be able to purchase this exact same thing on nearly the same day (still nine months off) for significantly less, if you even still want it.

My question is: Why does it matter to you? Why are you all worked up in a tizzy?

I buy stuff from my FLGS at MSRP, plus federal, local and state sales tax. Going to start calling me an idiot for that?

More
10 Feb 2015 14:40 - 10 Feb 2015 15:17 #197327 by Sagrilarus
I appreciate that people impulse buy, and I've done that too. But where's the threshold? At what point is buying a box with something unknown in it too expensive, too much of a risk? I'm trying to figure out how $141 became that amount, when the exact same product will be better understood and cheaper shortly after delivery (as in a few days after). There's no downside. If Verizon called and asked you to pay next October's bill now, would you do it? Of course not. Why would you?

It just seems strange that people who critically discuss the relative merits of games in one thread write a check for $100+ for a product with no description attached to it.

Apparently because "Bustin' makes me feel good." That's about the only rationale. It's like gambling, where you do it more for the fun of doing it than for any sober understanding of the money involved. There's entertainment value in losing money at a craps table.

As for your question what it matters to me, I'll concede the point. It shouldn't. It's just mighty strange to see otherwise rational people stick their hand in a hole without knowing what's in it.

S.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 15:17 by Sagrilarus.

More
10 Feb 2015 15:16 #197331 by Space Ghost
All of these Kickstarter projects require a little bit of faith and trust (and pixie dust, if you listen to my 2 year old). As before, this isn't really any different than the Space Cadet kickstarter -- I am going on the word of "friends" on a website. I like the concept and I like to support people that I have some history with. Still, it is $100. How is that much different than $150? Not much really. I expect to spend more on Valentine's dinner.

I would rather have these two games for $250 then 5 different games that I won't be as interested in. The upside, if I don't like Ghostbusters, I can probably sell it for cost (and maybe profit) if I get the edition with the Mass Hysteria exclusive kickstarter stretch goals (hell, look how much people were paying for the Risk Black Ops edition). I doubt I will be able to resell Space Cadets for a profit (although, I think the gameplay will be better and I won't want to -- also, I love the golden era scifi theme/setting).

It's just a game. I will might back it -- I will probably wait to see how some of the stretch goals play out. As Josh says, if they get some of the cooler bad guys in as add ons, well, I will probably get it. Mostly for nostalgia purposes to play with my brother as we loved the Cartoon growing up (good memories there). Hell, I might back two copies and give him one of them for Christmas.

And, I agree, where the threshold is an interesting question. But, I doubt it is $141. Look how much some of these other projects have cost (all the follow-up Zombicides, for instance. Or Myth? Or whichever). Look at Conan's kickstarter -- its going apeshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Feb 2015 15:22 #197332 by VonTush
From the info posted, as limited as it is, I'm pretty confident in how the game is going to play. It's an action point game. It's going to play just like every other action point games. It's a beer and pretzels game aimed more at casual gamers and families, which is the style of game that I'm preferring right now. I don't expect it to be risky, attempt elegant mechanics or try to break new ground nor do I want it to. So I don't feel a lot of risk from this one. To be honest I feel more risk with SC:AM.

Now as far as the gambling aspect...That's actually something I'd agree with, when the company is looking to make more of a hobby focused Kickstarter. A gamer's game if you will. Those are the ones that I feel fail to meet expectations. Let's be honest here though, the expectations aren't high.

Relating to value, that one is a bit more subjective and hard to calculate because the final product hasn't been revealed. People jump on early realizing they can bail later if the value isn't there. Is it there now? Not really. Will it be there? Perhaps. Then there's the second wave of people that wait until the last few days once the final product has a better view.

So you have to keep in mind that these numbers are all fictional at this point in time. And the key is no money changes hands at this point and everyone is free to go higher, lower, back out completely or go all in before everything gets locked in.

More
10 Feb 2015 15:22 - 10 Feb 2015 15:24 #197333 by Egg Shen
I don't care if people back this or not. It's a great license that has high geek appeal so I totally get it. Trust me when I first clicked on the BGG article I was like, "oh fuck me...take my money". Then I settled down...let my erection subside and I saw that it didn't have much info...and figured I'd wait. I only said I'd back Space Cadets because after reading the rules and seeing some gameplay vids I'm fucking super excited for that game. I only got the cash for one of em.

Actually I take it back... I DO hope a bunch a people on the Fort back the shit out of this. You guys have the best opinions so if I'm in wait and see mode I know I'm gonna get the scoop from a few of ya! Back it and give the rest of us the skinny.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 15:24 by Egg Shen.

More
10 Feb 2015 15:23 #197334 by Sagrilarus
Apeshit indeed, as is Ghostbusters now. Truth be told, Space Cadets: Away Missions has vastly more material to review than either Ghostbusters or Conan. Rule book, scenario examples, play video, two designers and one publisher answering questions with remarkable speed and clarity. It's cheaper, and it's been played by people in the community that are speaking to how it works and their overall impression.

To me, that's a significant difference.

S.

More
10 Feb 2015 15:36 - 10 Feb 2015 15:39 #197335 by Josh Look
Look, I love this hobby and I'm certainly not one of those "hide the games in the closet because I'm ashamed to look at them" kind of guys, but face the facts. Games are toys. Even if they are a good value, we're still pissing money away on childish bullshit we don't really need. But it's fun, and more importantly, it makes us happy, however temporarily that may be.

I literally hemmorage dollar bills in regards to Star Wars, Batman, and Ghostbusters shit. The game could be a complete dog and I could still assure you that it's not the dumbest GB thing I've ever bought and that the money spent on it is a drop in the bucket at this point.

Consider my money spent, but I'm still waiting for retail.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 15:39 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
10 Feb 2015 15:40 #197336 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote: Apeshit indeed, as is Ghostbusters now. Truth be told, Space Cadets: Away Missions has vastly more material to review than either Ghostbusters or Conan. Rule book, scenario examples, play video, two designers and one publisher answering questions with remarkable speed and clarity. It's cheaper, and it's been played by people in the community that are speaking to how it works and their overall impression.

To me, that's a significant difference.

S.

If I were playing Devil's Advocate, I would say that the overall impressions of people in the community are tinged a bit with bias as most are personal, in real-life friends (in some cases, very close and very good) with the designer(s). That would be like me having an article peer-reviewed by only former graduate students that I advised (I will say, that I think that potential conflict of interest has been handled very well here). But, you also have to know that nobody is really going to come out and say negative things about Space Cadets out of respect. Even Barnes has been silent on how shitty Kickstarter is on this project (as he should be, that is the polite way to be). But, I think it is unfair to think that we are getting an unbiased signal on the quality of the game. Like, I said, faith and trust....

Ghost Busters is an unknown right now. As for cost, like I said, it is only $40 more than SC: AM.

Conan has a strong pedigree of designers creating expansions (which would drive that bad boy up to $285 to get the game and expansions), which one could infer that says something about the quality of the game if they are willing to attach their names to it. At the base game, it is only $35 more than Space Cadets.

For what its worth, of the three, the only I have backed is Space Cadets
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
10 Feb 2015 16:47 #197341 by Space Ghost

Josh Look wrote:
Consider my money spent, but I'm still waiting for retail.

I'm starting an over/under on what it will take to get you to kickstart this.

What about if they included the doppleganger Ghostbusters from Citizen Ghost with transluscent (or glow in the dark) skin?

More
10 Feb 2015 17:44 #197347 by Josh Look
I actually own a "Citizen Ghost" variant of the Mego-style Venkman toy that Mattel put out a few years ago. Pretty rad.

I think a playable Louis Tulley character being KS exclusive would be all it would take to break me.

I'm shocked that they resisted a "Collect Call of Cthulhu" boss.

More
10 Feb 2015 18:06 #197348 by Space Ghost
My guess is that and Janine will be a kickstarter stretch goal. Especially with the Sandman included to draw in a ghost busting Janine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Feb 2015 19:06 #197350 by Michael Barnes
I have never once in my life thought "man, I wish there was a Ghostbusters board game".

And I love Ghostbusters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds