October 09, 2023
2585 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2782 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good - Ghostbusters Boardgame?

More
10 Feb 2015 19:24 - 10 Feb 2015 19:25 #197351 by Wetworks

Sagrilarus wrote: Apeshit indeed, as is Ghostbusters now. Truth be told, Space Cadets: Away Missions has vastly more material to review than either Ghostbusters or Conan. Rule book, scenario examples, play video, two designers and one publisher answering questions with remarkable speed and clarity. It's cheaper, and it's been played by people in the community that are speaking to how it works and their overall impression.

To me, that's a significant difference.

S.

I wouldn't say Space Cadet has vastly more review material than Conan.

Undead Viking Review
Dice Tower Preview
Barry Doublet Pirate Scenario

They also have a print 'n play scenario here.

Overlord Rules
Hero Rules

There's several more videos and files but I'm not going to list them all.

What attracted me to the game is that they play tested the game over 500 times at conventions and in France before running the kickstarter. They also had most of their sculpts done before the kickstarter launched.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 19:25 by Wetworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 19:58 #197353 by Sevej
If anything, SCAM is *lacking* review material for a KS ending in less than 10 days. It's still more than the Ghostbusters currently, but I wouldn't be surprised if they step it up in the coming weeks. Pity because I like SCAM mechanics much better than Conan's.

Ghostbusters board game doesn't interest me the slightest.

More
10 Feb 2015 20:30 #197356 by ubarose
@Sag,

Backers aren't gambling on the game play. They are gambling on whether or not they will be able to flip a game ia year after it delivers for two or three times what they paid for it. The ideal investment is a high priced game, with mediocre play leading to no retail staying power, but lots of exclusive plastic. The game needs to be pretty enough for people to want it, but not good enough to stay in print for very long.

More
10 Feb 2015 22:47 #197367 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: I have never once in my life thought "man, I wish there was a Ghostbusters board game".

Me on the other hand? Every goddamn day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, SuperflyPete

More
11 Feb 2015 09:16 - 11 Feb 2015 09:18 #197402 by Columbob

Sagrilarus wrote: Apeshit indeed, as is Ghostbusters now. Truth be told, Space Cadets: Away Missions has vastly more material to review than either Ghostbusters or Conan. Rule book, scenario examples, play video, two designers and one publisher answering questions with remarkable speed and clarity. It's cheaper, and it's been played by people in the community that are speaking to how it works and their overall impression.

To me, that's a significant difference.

S.

When was the last time you checked out the Conan KS, besides the amount pledged? It has all of that many times over, plus as SG said, lots of well-known authors are attached to the project and the prototype of the game has been doing the rounds and gaming events for over a year.

Edit: See Wetworks' post.

At its base, Conan is cheaper than SC: AM - $90 to $99, and you get over 180 minis in that deal. Although SC: AM offers free shipping which is most likely a substantial sum in Conan's case.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 09:18 by Columbob.

More
11 Feb 2015 09:25 #197404 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote: Cryptozoic and Matt Hyra are enough reasons themselves to pass on this.

I like the concept of the game, and the concept has promise. But those who it is attached to? No fucking sale.

Is it because BGG says he does drugs?

I hadn't heard of him, but he made Adventure Time Card Wars, so that's a definite bonus. Food Fight too. I don't see where the problem lies, other than his alleged drug use.
Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2015 09:26 - 11 Feb 2015 09:27 #197405 by SuperflyPete

Josh Look wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I have never once in my life thought "man, I wish there was a Ghostbusters board game".

Me on the other hand? Every goddamn day.

boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=...q=ghostbusters&B1=Go

There's now 5. "The Real Ghostbusters" actually looks neat. It is like you guys were talking about - Arkham style with a big city map.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 09:27 by SuperflyPete.

More
11 Feb 2015 09:33 - 11 Feb 2015 09:35 #197406 by Wetworks

Columbob wrote: At its base, Conan is cheaper than SC: AM - $90 to $99, and you get over 180 minis in that deal. Although SC: AM offers free shipping which is most likely a substantial sum in Conan's case.

They did a shipping estimate for the U.S. and Europe which came to $22. Not bad considering they'll be sending 2 large boxes full of stuff.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 09:35 by Wetworks.

More
11 Feb 2015 09:42 #197407 by Sagrilarus

Columbob wrote: When was the last time you checked out the Conan KS, besides the amount pledged?

I'm a little more comfortable with Conan, in spite of its price being truly ludicrous. There's some level in transparency to the product. As it stands right now Ghostbusters is a pig in a poke.

S.

More
11 Feb 2015 10:11 - 11 Feb 2015 10:16 #197414 by VonTush
How can you say that it is an unknown commodity on one hand but then accuse it of a bait and switch on the other?

EDIT: Also it has officially funded. Ecto-1 is the first stretch goal. Still no game play video at this point but one is promised. What's interesting is I threw down my pledge and shipping is added onto the pledge, so right now there's $28k pledged that is just shipping costs.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 10:16 by VonTush.

More
11 Feb 2015 16:32 #197448 by Space Ghost

And I love Ghostbusters.

Yes, but you famously don't like comedies. Your judgment should not be trusted on this topic...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Feb 2015 16:33 #197449 by VonTush
Ecto-1 has been unlocked.
Onward to Zuul!

More
11 Feb 2015 18:55 #197462 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Cryptozoic and Matt Hyra are enough reasons themselves to pass on this.

I like the concept of the game, and the concept has promise. But those who it is attached to? No fucking sale.

Is it because BGG says he does drugs?

I hadn't heard of him, but he made Adventure Time Card Wars, so that's a definite bonus. Food Fight too. I don't see where the problem lies, other than his alleged drug use.

No, I'm afraid your assumption is incorrect.
He's been involved with every game that has gone through crypto. Adventure time could have been good, but he was instrumental in the decision to go ccg with that. So that turned into an immediate "nope" vote with my absence of dollars for that game.
So essentially in my opinion, the only game of note to come through crypto's house is epic spells wars. And they can't even manage to keep this fairly successful game in print.

Crypto and hyra botch 95+% of what they touch. I have absolutely no reason to give either the benefit of the doubt. Precedence has been made. Now its their task to change the informed public perception of their wares through design, and not through licenses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
11 Feb 2015 20:43 #197471 by VonTush
And I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank as he goes to cash his big fat Target check and other big box retailers checks after he stocked them with his goods.
Here's the rub though...He absolutely doesn't give fuck all about what an "informed public" thinks. By the way, Ghostbusters is passing $330k...And just got the label of Kickstarter Staff Pick.
BGG Illuminati more and more each day. Coming full circle to become what we revolted against.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
11 Feb 2015 22:39 #197475 by Colorcrayons
Sure, the licensing has made them a lot of quick money from consumers seeing a big name on a board game and buying it.

So what? Ever heard of success not exactly equating to merit? Or in this case, quality?
We are asked to trust them and the word of people saying it is "good" and "fun".

But if your prior experience with them is anything but that description, then how is what you just wrote supposed to make me change my mind or invalidate my opinion? What's your point besides fervent defense of an unknown quantity where you don't know anything more than the rest of us?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds