October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

More
10 May 2016 22:58 #227294 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
I understand what you're saying, I just clumped both as details. For example, a plain cloak vs a plain cloak with sculpted fur around the neck area, both sharply sculpted Sure, the one with sculpted fur takes more time to paint, but they look several times more awesome with the fraction of additional effort. I understand though that this is subjective though. Sometimes you just want to be done with it.

Like that Heroquest video comparing the dead simple, but obvious gargoyle, and...whatever that other creature was.

This simply isn't fair. One is human-sized model, the other is a gigantic creature... not just "creatures", but freaking Archaon Everchosen, a chaos bigshot riding 3-headed, 2-tailed dragon. That thing costs £100!

I think you're overreacting with the "can't figure the elves" thingy. They're looking great, and in 3D I'm sure you'll be able to figure things out. My least favorite minis would be the barbarian since he's very static. The questor is static, but that matches his personality.

Not sure what my technique would add to yours since you already achieve better and tidier result with yours. I aim to finish as soon as possible with reasonable result. The first thing I do is considering if I can cover the whole minis in a one or two easily separated colors. I also check the details, then if possible, try to decide the colors for these. I try to use fewer colors, since too much color will mess up a mini, unless you're good. It's also faster. For example in my marines, the "details" only have 3 colors... red (eyes, seal, lenses, and cables), bone (scrolls) and white (imperial aquila). Two of these "details colors" are already my major colors (red and white). There's the occassional green and blue (for lights and cables), but for this they're just specks, taking less than 3 minutes to do all 5 Space Marines. I just find the brightest green and blue and do it.

Then I pick the biggest brush and slap the major color. When I started painting I often take too much time with the base color "leaving the black on the edge". Not anymore. Then I pick the other major colors (I cover metallics with black first if they're covered with the first major color), then the details, and then wash the lines, and only the lines. Then I do the highlights and pick smaller details. For smaller scale minis I skipped the wash, and just go directly to highlight.

For example, when painting my Runewars elves, I decided first whether I want to cover the minis in brown or green. After that, I paint them sloppily with brown (or green), then after that I paint the green (or brown). I found out that trying not to get your paint over something is also time consuming (one of the most important thing I learned about speed painting!).

For marines, I just painted the blue/grey color all over using a gigantic brush. Then I paint the red, white shoulder pad, black+silver on the metallics. Wash on the lines. Red highlight, silver highlight, blue/grey highlight. Black drybrush on weapons, additionals details. Then basing.

Really, the planning part is what matters most.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2016 12:00 #227309 by Columbob
So, it's 51 miniatures: 6 heroes, 44 monsters, and...?

More
11 May 2016 13:02 #227312 by charlest
There's a little spellbook thing with legs, maybe that.

More
11 May 2016 13:52 #227313 by Columbob
I guess it's this: Excelsior War priest & Gryph Hound – The header and war priest companion (Free People)

More
11 May 2016 13:54 #227316 by fastbilly1
$3 a mini is not bad (considering the price shock I had with modern GW minis a few pages back), I figured it would be $200 USD easy.

Spruce image from bell of lost souls:

More
11 May 2016 20:13 #227338 by Columbob

Mr. White wrote:
new 'orcs' - hmmm...more power armor?:

Such a noob'. On Orks it's called Mega-Armour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 May 2016 23:09 #227350 by Gary Sax
To be fair, Nobz and Warbosses already had power armor, it was just way more awesome than sticking stupid chaos-ish/marine skulls onto an orc in armor. It was weird, messed up, and half assed.

More
11 May 2016 23:15 #227353 by SuperflyPete
I want this game so damned bad. Sadly, it's not going to fly. $150 US is just too much when I already have a whole supply of DM-less dungeony goodness, already painted, already know the rules, and already have home-brew stuff.

I don't even have Temple of Elemental Evil yet! I mean, I could literally buy all four DDAS games for the same money at this point, and I'd have zero assembly, a damned fine system, and about 3x the miniatures.

More
12 May 2016 00:08 #227355 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

Columbob wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Noob-noob. That's an Orruk, not an Ork, in iron armor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob

More
12 May 2016 00:11 #227356 by SebastianBludd

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don't even have Temple of Elemental Evil yet! I mean, I could literally buy all four DDAS games for the same money at this point, and I'd have zero assembly, a damned fine system, and about 3x the miniatures.

I plan on waiting to see what sets without the minis go for on eBay. The prices probably won't be quite as good as mini-less sets of that Assassinorum game but there should be a lot more of them for sale as this game has a more attractive quantity and variety of minis in comparison.

More
12 May 2016 00:59 #227357 by Michael Barnes
I was trying to pretend like this doesn't exist, but I don't think I can resist it.

Where's the best deal on it? Preorders anywhere? Miniature Market isn't carrying it.

More
12 May 2016 09:57 #227376 by Columbob

Sevej wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Noob-noob. That's an Orruk, not an Ork, in iron armor.

WARNING! WARNING! Age of Sigmar contamination/sympathizer detected. Inquisition team sent for investigation.

More
12 May 2016 13:07 #227392 by Frohike
@Michael

It's Games Workshop, so either pre-order it through FLGS or a GW store in your area. You probably won't see copies floating around OLGSs.

More
12 May 2016 13:44 #227394 by Michael Barnes
Eh, I was hoping to find one of those renegade shops that does like 10% off or something. I'll probably just go direct with GW.

More
12 May 2016 15:21 #227399 by metalface13
Is it co-op? What's the word on co-op? I hate playing as a dungeon master.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds