October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

More
10 May 2016 01:19 - 10 May 2016 01:22 #227246 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
The list of monster simply doesn't excite me... I think that's why I never complain about Terinoth generic-ness. I want the best version of something familiar to me instead of something new/unique/innovative.
Last edit: 10 May 2016 01:22 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2016 08:19 #227248 by the_jake_1973

Michael Barnes wrote: You can order in singles, however we do recommend that you order Warhammer Quest in quantities of 5, to ensure your orders arrive in a good condition.

Ha ha! Is this for real? Oh no, I had six preorders...I guess I'd better order ten games so they aren't damaged!

Oh, Games Workshop...

Sales rep #1: That's a real nice order of six games you got there, Mr. Barnes. It'd be a shame if something.......untoward.....happened to them.
Sales rep #2: <simpering henchman voice> Yeah, Boss......a reeeal shame.

More
10 May 2016 09:07 #227250 by SuperflyPete
Does anyone want to buy a gently used copy of Ravenloft and Ashardalon, with painted miniatures? ;)

More
10 May 2016 09:10 #227251 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: I particularly like the commentary on how clean and clear the older GW models are vs the new. Sure these new AoS and 40K figs have amazing detail...but from my chair...it's too much detail. They don't look fun to paint. At. All.

Seriously, I've about had it with painting miniatures. It's too much work. So, what I started doing was blackwashing them.
www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniatur...nting_blackwash.html

The result looks way better than stock, and it takes about 5 minutes per miniature, if that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 May 2016 09:53 - 10 May 2016 09:57 #227256 by Mr. White
I still love to paint minis, but I want to spend .5-1.5 per mini tops. Anything beyond that and the fun is gone.

I do something similar to that blackwashing.
1) prime with grey auto/house primer
2) paint base colors
3) wash mini with gw washes (usually black on the whole thing, but I may do a sepia, blue, green, etc over flesh depending on the creature)
4) go back over the raised bits of the mini with the same base colors except leaving a little space between colors where the black shows. This gives the shading effect or an effect close to blacklining.

So basically: base color, wash, base color again. Very simple. Looks great. You can see some recent results with this technique here: fortressat.com/forum/20-table-top-miniat...ve-blood-bowl#225852

Anyway, back to this Warhammer Quest thing. The other issue with all these detailed figs is that they are _not_ new player/painter friendly. Sure they showcase the capabilities of GW's plastics, but is that the point of their boardgames? To showcase? I'd figure they'd want to get this in the hands of players and hopefully bring in new ones. However, I'd concede that I'm worrying about something that may not be a factor...I'll guess most of all these mini heavy games (regardless of company) go unpainted rather than get painted...
Last edit: 10 May 2016 09:57 by Mr. White.

More
10 May 2016 09:57 #227257 by hotseatgames
Yes, they are so detailed, and their painters are so amazingly talented. Foolish people have that in their minds, and speaking for myself, my skills are nowhere near that and never will be. Most of my paint jobs look like they were done while straight-jacketed.

More
10 May 2016 13:07 #227264 by Egg Shen
Has there been any guesses as to what the price of this is going to be? My gut is telling me this is gonna be a $200 game. I'm very interested in this, but I'm still waiting for that sticker shock. I mean I need another dungeon crawl like I need an ice pick in my temple, but sweet baby shit...it's Warhammer Quest!

More
10 May 2016 15:22 #227268 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: Yes, they are so detailed, and their painters are so amazingly talented. Foolish people have that in their minds, and speaking for myself, my skills are nowhere near that and never will be. Most of my paint jobs look like they were done while straight-jacketed.

I will agree with this assessment. Rather - the one about Mark's painting skills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 May 2016 15:24 #227269 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: I still love to paint minis, but I want to spend .5-1.5 per mini tops. Anything beyond that and the fun is gone.

2) paint base colors
3) wash mini with gw washes (usually black on the whole thing, but I may do a sepia, blue, green, etc over flesh depending on the creature)
4) go back over the raised bits of the mini with the same base colors except leaving a little space between colors where the black shows. This gives the shading effect or an effect close to blacklining.

So basically: base color, wash, base color again. Very simple. Looks great. You can see some recent results with this technique here: fortressat.com/forum/20-table-top-miniat...ve-blood-bowl#225852

Anyway, back to this Warhammer Quest thing. The other issue with all these detailed figs is that they are _not_ new player/painter friendly. Sure they showcase the capabilities of GW's plastics, but is that the point of their boardgames? To showcase? I'd figure they'd want to get this in the hands of players and hopefully bring in new ones. However, I'd concede that I'm worrying about something that may not be a factor...I'll guess most of all these mini heavy games (regardless of company) go unpainted rather than get painted...

It's not even fair a little bit that you can paint that well at 2 mins a miniature.

Holy shit

More
10 May 2016 16:20 - 10 May 2016 16:28 #227273 by Mr. White

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I still love to paint minis, but I want to spend .5-1.5 per mini tops. Anything beyond that and the fun is gone.

2) paint base colors

It's not even fair a little bit that you can paint that well at 2 mins a miniature.

Holy shit

Hahahaha...huge omission in my post. That's .5-1.5 _hours_...not _minutes_!

Sorry about that, hoss. If I flipped them out at that rate, I'd go into painting figs as a side hustle.
Last edit: 10 May 2016 16:28 by Mr. White.

More
10 May 2016 16:31 #227275 by Mr. White
More rumors:

* 125 Euros
* Desired to be the core of a new line - That is viewed as important as 40k or AoS. (take this one with a grain of salt)
* Forthcoming App to provide WQ stats for any AoS hero. (I'll also take this to mean _some_)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Egg Shen

More
10 May 2016 17:30 #227281 by Michael Barnes
That's almost $150! No one will ever pay that much for a board game!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
10 May 2016 21:09 - 10 May 2016 21:10 #227289 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower
You guys are cute. Here's the deal with miniatures. Sure, some may have lots of details. But for me that actually *makes* it easier to paint. When I painted Talisman miniatures, oh how I wish they have enough details to catch my sloppy brushwork. There are ways to get good result fast, but *only* if your minis have the details.

Generally it takes me a weekend (and that's between taking care of a toddler, accompanying my wife watching movies, housework etc!) to finish a set of miniatures. Effective time 3 hours top. A set would mean 5-men tabletop minis, a faction of runewars, etc...

Method's similar to Mr. White, but with localized washes, and I don't bother with painting the original colors, just straight to highlight to make them pop more.
Last edit: 10 May 2016 21:10 by Sevej.

More
10 May 2016 21:16 - 10 May 2016 21:24 #227290 by Mr. White
I think we're confusing 'casting quality' with 'details'.

By details, I mean all the assorted crap expertly sculpted onto or with the mini. Like that Heroquest video comparing the dead simple, but obvious gargoyle, and...whatever that other creature was. Or the two elves in this Silver Tower set...I _still_ can't really make them out. Too busy with too much crap going on.

Casting quality is how crisp the models are off the mold. GW is famous for having outstanding plastic casting. Which is why even their 90s games like Space Hulk, Blood Bowl, Warhammer Quest, etc may have had minis on the lower end of details, but are super sharp to paint because the well cast minis have strongly defined lines to catch the paint and what not. FFG Talisman, on the other hand, is very poorly casted so it all sort of runs together.

Either way, I prefer well casted mini, but can do without all the extra details...it's more crap on the mini to paint. Space Hulk 2nd edition? Fun! 3rd? A chore.
(and I've done both)

EDIT: Please share more about your technique. Those minis look awesome.
Last edit: 10 May 2016 21:24 by Mr. White.

More
10 May 2016 21:35 - 10 May 2016 21:36 #227291 by Mr. White
Some better images of the heroes...and I still can't make out the elves...

Damn, you'd think I'm a GW rep with all this reposting. I'll say I'm getting a bit more intrigued. Looks like one of the upsides of AoS is that being removed from any sort of 'Old Europe' we'll hopefully get more variety of ethnicities. Looks like GW is headed that way. Good on them.
Last edit: 10 May 2016 21:36 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds