October 09, 2023
2665 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2842 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

"Joe and Bob"

More
11 Feb 2009 14:28 #20857 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:
moss_icon wrote:

i totally agree. the phrase "gamers game" is rotten to the core. it's like saying "ooh, this novel is a real reader's book" or "this album is a real audiophile's record". fuck that shit. anyone who defines themself by the activity they partake in is a few bricks shy of a load.

You get that stuff in other hobbies though. Take Heavy Metal for instance, people who listen to Iron Maiden look down their noses at people who listen to Led Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd fans, you have the Syd Barret fans, the Roger Waters fans or the David Gilmour fans. Blah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 15:53 #20870 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:
mikoyan wrote:

moss_icon wrote:

i totally agree. the phrase "gamers game" is rotten to the core. it's like saying "ooh, this novel is a real reader's book" or "this album is a real audiophile's record". fuck that shit. anyone who defines themself by the activity they partake in is a few bricks shy of a load.

You get that stuff in other hobbies though. Take Heavy Metal for instance, people who listen to Iron Maiden look down their noses at people who listen to Led Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd fans, you have the Syd Barret fans, the Roger Waters fans or the David Gilmour fans. Blah.

Common thread: ALL PRICKS.

More
11 Feb 2009 16:03 #20872 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:
MattDP wrote:

But it's all about context. If I'm reading a book, I'd much rather read the latter sentence than the former for all sorts of reasons, regardless of whether it's because the author only wrote it that way because it sounded smart.

I'll grant you that he's dressed up that little speech is a ridiculously convoluted ways. Which is unfortunate because what he's actually saying is accurate and rather interesting. And in truth he's not the only one fond of over-dressing argument: I do it all the time.

Then George Orwell hates you too.

More
11 Feb 2009 16:23 #20874 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
I'm trying to think of a way we can incorporate "creamed hamburger" into the AT vernacular.

"It's a pretty good game, but it's creamed hamburger compared to 1823"
"That game ain't nothin' but creamed hamburger- meaty and full of grease."
"Playing TRANSAMERICA is like creamed hamburger- easy in, easy out."
"That Basestar was creamed hamburger after Admiral JC Lawrence calculated the odds that a nuclear strike would succeed- and correctly."

More
11 Feb 2009 17:23 #20879 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
"When I saw those preview photos of the new DOMINION expansion, I nearly creamed hamburger."

More
11 Feb 2009 17:23 #20880 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
Ugh; I'd skipped this thread up until just a few minutes ago. Now I want to punch a neckbeard.

I swear, few things get me going as much as the "These Games Of Ours" elitism does ...

More
11 Feb 2009 17:47 #20884 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
Tom Rosen seems like such a nice guy, and a big part of me wants to like him, but that article just blows my mind. I had to read it twice, thinking "that didn't say what I think it did."

More
11 Feb 2009 23:08 #20896 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
With that "creamed hamburger" remark, I think that Clearclaw has definitely taken his open information obsession too far.

More
12 Feb 2009 05:10 #20909 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:
moss_icon wrote:

I think the phrase is meaningful, but it's been corrupted by the elitist crowd. To me a "gamers game" is simply one that's deep enough to obsess over. So for me chess qualifies, as does scrabble and both would probably be more "gamers games" than about 90% of the shallow Euro-crap that gets tagged with the label.

More
12 Feb 2009 08:09 #20913 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
I've never seen shit on a shingle referred to as creamed hamburger before.

More
12 Feb 2009 10:05 #20920 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
I think Tom's biggest problem is he dosen't LISTEN. Just from reading Tom's article I can tell that Joe and Bob don't want to play Tom's crappy games, so why does he insist on trying to force them down their throats? What's with the missionary mentality some people have about the boardgaming hobby? It's like the "Try the lobster!" bit off Curb Your Enthusiasm. In then end all your doing is pissing people off. Not everyone wants to be a gamer. Not everyone should be a gamer either.

Bah maybe Uba is right. Perhaps Joe and Bob are gamers they just don't like playing games with Tom. Now that would be funny.

-Will

More
12 Feb 2009 10:52 #20929 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
If they play scrabble, chess, and poker, they are gamers. Why do Carc and TTR players qualify as gamers but scrabble/etc. people don't? Is there a membership card they send out or something?

More
12 Feb 2009 12:12 - 12 Feb 2009 12:22 #20951 by dclose
Replied by dclose on topic Re:
hancock.tom wrote:

Tom Rosen seems like such a nice guy, and a big part of me wants to like him, but that article just blows my mind. I had to read it twice, thinking "that didn't say what I think it did."

I'd like to congratulate Tom Rosen on writing a column that produced more angst and moaning and bitching, on multiple sites, than this one on TOS by moss_icon:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/338446

moss_icon might be proud of his contribution to agricolan onanism, but Tom Rosen can definitely be proud of fully provoking the hand-wringing and wailing of the Ameritrash crowd. Gentlemen (and ladies), you've been had! :)

I hate to spoil the "fun", but six pages of uptight outrage, position analysis and name-calling? Over what again? If you folks would put as much energy and creativity into making original content on F:AT as you do in tearing down the writings of someone else on a completely separate site, then you'd really have something here. (rolls eyes and shakes head) :p

In the meantime, Tom Rosen is laughing his ass off, and deservedly so!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2009 12:22 by dclose.

More
12 Feb 2009 12:23 #20954 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:
dclose wrote:

Actually, he's creaming his hamburger off.

More
12 Feb 2009 12:24 #20955 by dclose
Replied by dclose on topic Re:
Juniper wrote:

dclose wrote:

Actually, he's creaming his hamburger off.

LOL, too true!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds