October 09, 2023
2682 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2852 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

"Joe and Bob"

More
13 Feb 2009 13:00 #21065 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:
Gary Sax wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Diane, I only know what it is because my Dad likes it. He told me that when he was a kid during WWII, they called it Shit on a Shingle. He claims my grandmother would serve them toast covered in lumpy gray sauce, made with meat grease and scrapings collected over the week, and claim the lumps were meat.

Mmmmmm, non-meat lumps.

Believe it or not, we have a family tradition on Christmas morning of having a huge family breakfast, and one of the featured attractions is S.O.S. It's frakkin' DEEE-LICIOUS. Don't knocks it to you tried it.

Well, okay, we don't make it with leftover nasty junk but actual fresh sausage, but the spirit's the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2009 13:40 #21068 by Nick Dalton
Replied by Nick Dalton on topic Re:
Ken B. wrote:

Well, okay, we don't make it with leftover nasty junk but actual fresh sausage, but the spirit's the same.

There's a difference?

More
13 Feb 2009 13:57 #21071 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
I think Rosen probably began the piece as a serious one on transforming more traditional board gamers into eurogamers, but when he realized the reaction it would get, he ratcheted up the rhetoric a bit, knowing he would get some extra comments. It came across serious, not tongue in cheek, so it got the reaction it deserved. Good for him if that is what he wanted.

However, if thats what he wanted, he was probably unpleasantly surprised to see most of BGN totally supported his tongue in cheek parody point... Imagine if all of F:AT had shown up on Moss's Vegan Agricola thread to chime in full wanker mode in support of vegan gamers everywhere. That kind of backfire would have made Moss's head explode. I wonder what Rosen thought of his parody post when all of BGN saluted his efforts to assimilate those two guys into the carc collective?

More
13 Feb 2009 14:34 - 13 Feb 2009 14:35 #21074 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:
hancock.tom wrote:

Imagine if all of F:AT had shown up on Moss's Vegan Agricola thread to chime in full wanker mode in support of vegan gamers everywhere. That kind of backfire would have made Moss's head explode. I wonder what Rosen thought of his parody post when all of BGN saluted his efforts to assimilate those two guys into the carc collective?

No, more like what if real Vegans showed up to support him. That would have been pee your pants funny.

Vegan Agricola was clearly meant to be humor, in a Monty Python way. You can just see one of them delivering the 7th level vegan line.

Tom may have "ratcheted up the rhetoric" to provoke discussion, but he didn't really push the envelop all the way to LOL funny.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2009 14:35 by ubarose.

More
13 Feb 2009 15:23 #21077 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:
ubarose wrote:

Vegan Agricola was clearly meant to be humor, in a Monty Python way. You can just see one of them delivering the 7th level vegan line.

Tom may have "ratcheted up the rhetoric" to provoke discussion, but he didn't really push the envelop all the way to LOL funny.

Alas, he's only a 4th level Eurogamer.

More
13 Feb 2009 16:33 #21082 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:
Nick Warcholak wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

There's a difference?

If you haven't eaten fresh pork, whether sausage, ham, or chops, you haven't lived. I am constantly baffled at how New Yorkers think they have the best food in the world. Best prepared food? Sure. Tastiest ingredients? I think not. That is reserved for farm country. Give me fried chicken who was clucking and running around an hour ago, corn on the cob picked straight off the stalk, and fresh tomatoes from the garden over a restaurant meal anyday. Same goes for pork, especially sausage. Bonus points if you grew the sage yourself.

[gets off of food soapbox]

More
13 Feb 2009 16:40 #21084 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
DEATH TO MANUFACTURED FOOD

LONG LIVE CREAMED HAMBURGER

SOUTHERN CUISINE UBER ALLES

More
13 Feb 2009 16:48 #21088 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
Hah, I just heard that old Dead Kennedys song on the radio yesterday, "California Uber Alles."

More
13 Feb 2009 17:15 #21092 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:"Joe and Bob"
Wow...the meter of all those phrases fit _right_ into "California Uber Alles"...just imagine Jello singing "Long live creamed ham-bur-GER!"

More
13 Feb 2009 17:39 #21099 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:
hancock.tom wrote:

Tastiest ingredients? I think not. That is reserved for farm country. Give me fried chicken who was clucking and running around an hour ago, corn on the cob picked straight off the stalk, and fresh tomatoes from the garden over a restaurant meal anyday. Same goes for pork, especially sausage. Bonus points if you grew the sage yourself.

For those who live in the city, go for a short trip and get your hands on any sausage made by a group like the Mennonites, or Amish, or whatever you have near you. You will not be sorry.

More
13 Feb 2009 17:40 - 13 Feb 2009 17:41 #21100 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:
Ken B. wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Diane, I only know what it is because my Dad likes it. He told me that when he was a kid during WWII, they called it Shit on a Shingle. He claims my grandmother would serve them toast covered in lumpy gray sauce, made with meat grease and scrapings collected over the week, and claim the lumps were meat.

Mmmmmm, non-meat lumps.

Believe it or not, we have a family tradition on Christmas morning of having a huge family breakfast, and one of the featured attractions is S.O.S. It's frakkin' DEEE-LICIOUS. Don't knocks it to you tried it.

My dad was from Oklahoma and grew up during the great depression. SOS was one of his favorite comfort foods. He would make cream gravy from scratch along with the biscuits. Add in some pork saussage and you had a meal. It was amazing to see somone take bacon grease, flour, salt, pepper and a little milk and make something delicious out of it. Damn, now I want some.

-Will
Last edit: 13 Feb 2009 17:41 by Bulwyf. Reason: gross incompetence

More
13 Feb 2009 19:46 #21114 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:
Bulwyf wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Mmmmmm, non-meat lumps.

My dad was from Oklahoma and grew up during the great depression. SOS was one of his favorite comfort foods. He would make cream gravy from scratch along with the biscuits. Add in some pork saussage and you had a meal. It was amazing to see somone take bacon grease, flour, salt, pepper and a little milk and make something delicious out of it. Damn, now I want some.

-Will

My mom is from Oklahoma and I was born there -- she makes this dish frequently. It is nothing short of excellent.

More
13 Feb 2009 22:43 #21122 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:
My wife's family kept (and ate) pigs and cows when she grew up. She is a gravy ninja, but her fried pork chops are god on a plate.

More
14 Feb 2009 00:29 #21125 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:
hancock.tom wrote:

My wife's family kept (and ate) pigs and cows when she grew up. She is a gravy ninja, but her fried pork chops are god on a plate.

If I am ever in W. Virginia, I hope to get some games and fried pork chops -- I can return the favor if you are in Missouri, minus the pork chops.

More
14 Feb 2009 02:29 #21127 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:
Shellhead wrote:

Hah, I just heard that old Dead Kennedys song on the radio yesterday, "California Uber Alles."

On the radio? Holy cow. But then again, Holiday in Cambodia is a song on Guitar Hero III.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds