October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 Apr 2017 17:40 - 24 Apr 2017 17:44 #247086 by Grudunza

Gregarius wrote: Over the weekend I saw Edge of Seventeen, a coming of age story about a difficult teenage girl. It's really good, and very funny in non-standard ways. Barney, I think you will love it, although it won't satisfy any of your prurient interests. Hailie Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson are both excellent.

PS- Not one to watch with your daughter, though.

I'm curious what you mean about that last line. I watched this with my girls (12 and 14) and they loved it. I had seen it before, though, and knew they would appreciate it. Yeah, it's excellent for what it is. I'd heard some people going on about the new Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why, but an episode into that I stopped watching. Compared to Edge of Seventeen, 13 Reasons is just dumb stereotypical high school characters, or perhaps how someone older *thinks* high school kids are. Edge of Seventeen felt much more real and smart. And yeah, that's exaggerated to some extent, too, but still, I'd much rather see that.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2017 17:44 by Grudunza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 06:08 #247113 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 today. It's good but not as good as the first. I expect that it will be very mixed for most viewers with some hating it, some thinking it is good but not up to the first, and for others it will be equal to the first. For me it was like comparing Force Awakens to Rogue One where the latter has more interesting characters and a better plot, but the former is just more fun. I think having Baby Groot compared to Groot is a big reason for me liking it less as we go from a complex character to a one joke cutesy character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Cranberries

More
25 Apr 2017 10:39 #247137 by Gregarius

Grudunza wrote:

Gregarius wrote: Over the weekend I saw Edge of Seventeen, a coming of age story about a difficult teenage girl. It's really good, and very funny in non-standard ways. Barney, I think you will love it, although it won't satisfy any of your prurient interests. Hailie Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson are both excellent.

PS- Not one to watch with your daughter, though.

I'm curious what you mean about that last line. I watched this with my girls (12 and 14) and they loved it. I had seen it before, though, and knew they would appreciate it. Yeah, it's excellent for what it is. I'd heard some people going on about the new Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why, but an episode into that I stopped watching. Compared to Edge of Seventeen, 13 Reasons is just dumb stereotypical high school characters, or perhaps how someone older *thinks* high school kids are. Edge of Seventeen felt much more real and smart. And yeah, that's exaggerated to some extent, too, but still, I'd much rather see that.

I'm not a parent, so I could be way off base. I think 12-14 is probably the perfect age for the film-- but anything less than 10 and you may be answering questions you're not ready for yet. It just depends on how open you are about sex with your kids. I don't think there's anything damaging in the film, just stuff that might be awkward.

More
25 Apr 2017 11:18 #247140 by Grudunza
Gotcha. Yeah, there's sex and drinking, but I don't think it's celebrated. And the movie does a great job of showing pretty honest look at the complexities of a kid of that age and type, and how she often gets in the way of her own happiness.

More
25 Apr 2017 12:16 #247149 by Black Barney
Great recommendation, Greg. I did actually see it and I'm not sure why I didn't write a review. I must have seen it on a plane or something. I loved it and thought it was great.

But yeah, not one to watch with my 6-yr old girl, that's for sure. I think it's a really important one to watch with her when she's 13 or more cuz it sort of dispels a lot of what having a boy crush is about and the realities of what guys really want (most of them anyway). That scene in the car I thought was excellent and very real.

But yeah, i don't want to have to explain the scene of when she sprays her recently shaved cunt and starts jumping up and down cuz it hurts so much. Hilarious scene though.

Hailee was great in it and Woody was fun. Is Hailee the girl in Ender's Game too? I just rewatched that on the weekend. It's really awkward seeing her in these roles after seeing her more sexually-aware-type role in Edge of Seventeen. It's like trying to watch E.T. after Poison Ivy. No thanks.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:19 #247176 by Hex Sinister

Black Barney wrote: Is Hailee the girl in Ender's Game too?

Fuck that shit. True Grit #1.

Finally saw Arrival. Love Amy Adams but this was ultimately disappointing and uninteresting.

New Alien trailer has me worried because it looks like shit. I'll still go see it like an idiot though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Apr 2017 15:43 #247183 by Black Barney
Do you live near me? Can we be idiots together? I want to see Covenant so bad but I just know it'll disappoint.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:56 #247189 by Hex Sinister
Weren't you the one who said he's worried about the casting? I certainly am. Prometheus had a similar issue to an extent. But I mean it really looks like they have run out of story to tell here. At least Prometheus tried to tackle some higher level shit. This looks like SOS. But it's pretty and that does appeal to me a bit heh... I can be shallow like that. But I still can't swallow a turd covered in sweet, creamy custard.

More
25 Apr 2017 16:04 #247192 by Black Barney
As disappointing as Prometheus was, I still say it's a good movie overall.

But yeah, the casting has me worried. Maybe James Franco will bite it faster than Dallas did. That would be fine by me.

I just want to be scared and, ideally, surprised a few times. I need to really set my bar low.

More
25 Apr 2017 16:11 #247194 by Hex Sinister
That's really strange because I watched the trailer three times and I didn't notice Franco! So maybe he will be alright?

Prometheus, hey I'm probably the only doof here who went twice. Flawed, sure. But I liked it a lot when it worked. And I'm disappointed they decided to say fuck off to the sequel. I thought Covenant was going to be that but uh...

Knowing you're a scaredy-cat I'm sure you will not be disappointed in that respect. But I expect brain rating to be a 1.

More
25 Apr 2017 16:29 #247200 by Shellhead
The first hour of Prometheus was pretty good, but then the writing becomes utterly stupid and knocks me out of the story.

An alleged scientist takes his helmet off almost immediately after landing on the alien planet, long before they have had a chance to thoroughly test the air quality.

That same scientist is not placed in quarantine or even subjected to any kind of medical tests after his exposure.

Two scientists are walking around the alien structure using a 3D mapping device that is obvious in use even to the casual 21st century movie-goer, but they somehow manage to get completely lost.

The brilliant android deliberately infects a scientist with an alien biological sample, apparently just for the lols.

The woman who gave herself an emergency c-section immediately gets up and runs around.

The idiocy of the second half of the movie was annoying. It was like watching MST3K without hearing any jokes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Gregarius, Vlad

More
26 Apr 2017 10:12 #247253 by Gregarius
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT the idea that it waited an hour to get stupid. For me it was about 10 minutes.

More
27 Apr 2017 10:02 #247341 by Black Barney
Hey so it sounds like there's going to be a sequel to UNBREAKABLE with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. But it's going to also be a sequel to SPLIT (which I haven't seen). I hear that Bruce Willis' Unbreakable character is in Split. Is that part any good? I guess I'll need to see it now if I want to see the sequel.

More
27 Apr 2017 10:34 #247349 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: Hey so it sounds like there's going to be a sequel to UNBREAKABLE with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. But it's going to also be a sequel to SPLIT (which I haven't seen). I hear that Bruce Willis' Unbreakable character is in Split. Is that part any good? I guess I'll need to see it now if I want to see the sequel.

Because you already know about it, that part will be 90% less fun. Actually, that whole scene is really hamfisted, but it is also super cool with its reveal and implication. The movie as a whole is pretty good, if not great. But an Unbreakable sequel, including the relevant aspects of Split, is a very good prospect.

More
27 Apr 2017 10:39 #247351 by Vlad
Barney, you haven't seen Split? Shame on you, man.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.630 seconds