October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
27 Apr 2017 10:59 #247354 by Black Barney
yeah, i've come to not trust that director for some reason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2017 13:59 #247371 by Varys
Oh, there's a link to Unbreakable in Split? Thanks. Now I don't need to see Split.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 May 2017 22:05 - 01 May 2017 22:05 #247568 by hotseatgames
Watched Sicario, which is available on Amazon Prime. It's basically an updated version of Clear and Present Danger. Not as good as that wonderful film, but still definitely worth your time. It also isn't nearly as long as that one. 8/10
Last edit: 01 May 2017 22:05 by hotseatgames.

More
02 May 2017 08:10 #247572 by Black Barney
"How dare YOU, sir!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
02 May 2017 17:25 #247603 by Michael Barnes
Flipping through Amazon Prime, I saw that they had Planet of the Dinosaurs. I had to do a double-take, because this is a movie I saw when I was maybe four or five years old in the theater (The Miracle Theater in Marietta, GA) and it was one of those movies that made a TREMENDOUS impression on me. One of those things that you remember like everything about. It's interesting too because it reminds me that I actually got to see some Z-grade exploitation stuff in the theaters in the late 70s/early 80s.

It's pretty much unwatchable. Apparently the actors were not actually paid to be in it, and it shows. Space folks crash land on...yep. They run into actually not terrible stop motion dinosaurs a la Harryhausen. They start a new civilization. Lots of mustaches and perms.

I had to watch it mainly because I wanted to see two scenes in particular. One is where this dinosaur gores this dude through his chest. I have never forgotten that scene. And the other where they trick the T-Rex into running into these spikes that they've poisoned with these berries they find.

I actually thought this movie was "lost" because I've never seen it referenced anywhere or on video. Looking into it online, everything says that it was never theatrically released. Which is 100% not true, because my parents took me to see it. I actually even remember seeing the ad for it in the newspaper movie section (god, remember that?)

Maybe just scan through it if you want to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
02 May 2017 19:48 - 02 May 2017 20:05 #247614 by Cranberries
I watched Grosse Point Blank again last night. I was struck by all of the tiny little clever touches and the dialogue. Everyone drunk and worn out at the end of the reunion. Martin thanking his classmate for the pen he used to stab his would-be assassin in the throat. Kind of insane Minnie Driver. Kind of nuts Joan Cusack. Jeremy Pivens helping Martin put the body in the furnace, no questions asked. Wonderful sound track. The ending is a little too cute and sudden. Dan Akroyd, also insane. The detailed manner in which Martin nonchalantly assassinates people, and how it turns to brutality. Martin's insane mother. I still need to see the sequel.

Last edit: 02 May 2017 20:05 by Cranberries. Reason: Added a wacky gif.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
02 May 2017 20:33 #247618 by Black Barney
I'll never get tired of seeing Dan Akroyd throw away empty pistols and pull out fresh ones. What a neat quip to that character
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 May 2017 20:46 #247621 by SebastianBludd

cranberries wrote: I watched Grosse Point Blank again last night. I was struck by all of the tiny little clever touches and the dialogue.

One of my favorite bits is the look Jeremy Piven gives John Cusack when, after disposing of the body in the furnace, Jeremy Piven orders whisky at the bar and John Cusack casually asks for a club soda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 May 2017 23:46 #247630 by Hex Sinister

Michael Barnes wrote: the newspaper movie section (god, remember that?)

Wow, that's old school now ain't it? Reading those pages when I was a kid was like my hobby. I would get so excited when the friday one came out. I still remember the big ads for TOMMY which I found both scary and alluring at the same time. You know you called the theatres on the phone too, right? Hehe.

More
03 May 2017 08:59 #247643 by Black Barney
i'd read the friday movie section from cover to cover. i was super jealous of the writers, imagining what their jobs must be like.

More
03 May 2017 14:20 #247715 by Hex Sinister
Weird, me too. Pretty slack I would imagine.

More
03 May 2017 15:47 #247726 by Gregarius
Yep, read the movie section religiously. I even clipped out and saved full-page ads for Raiders and Empire Strikes Back.

More
05 May 2017 22:58 #247910 by hotseatgames
Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2. It was really funny, and if you liked the first one, you'll like this one as well. Lots of cameos. It's what you'd expect, really.

More
06 May 2017 18:38 #247928 by Cranberries
We've been waiting to see it on five dollar Tuesday, but it has been sold out for a few weeks because Utahns are cheap and have huge families.

More
06 May 2017 19:07 #247929 by repoman
Interstellar is on Amazon Prime.

I found this movie surprising and entertaining because:

1) Mathew Mconaughy is fabulous. This is not surprising but it is entertaining.

2) It's a "hard" sci-fi movie but I wasn't bored. I was entertained and engaged even at it's most sciency. This is surprising because I usually find such fair boring ala 2001 which is as sure a cure for insomnia as was ever devised.

3) Even though it gets a little trippy in the last act, and quantum physics is always trippy, I found the ending satisfying and not annoying at all. Surprising and entertaining.

Nolan is a great director and the acting and visuals are all top notch. Not surprising at all. I highly recommend this movie.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds