October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
06 May 2017 19:12 #247930 by Black Barney
Matthew taking his kids voicemail messages was one of the most powerful scenes that year. It wrecked me.

I still say Matt Damon was a mistake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2017 23:48 #247935 by Cranberries
I saw this with my kids in Doha in a brand new Imax theater. The sound moved through us. The water planet was terrifying. One of my top five movie-going experiences.

More
07 May 2017 03:23 #247937 by KingPut
Ok frak you I'm a little bias. Check out my avatar, it's Rocket, my favorite super hero character of all time. Guardian's Vol 2 was the perfect squeal. It's very rare that squeal is better than then the first. The only series were the sequel was better than the original was Empire Strikes Back and Spider man 2 and Dark Knight. I was so surprised that I liked Vol. 1 of Guardian, that it's hard to live up that surprise. So Guardian's of Galaxy Vol 2 isn't Dark Knight but maybe it is Indiana Jones Temple of Doom or Rocky 2.

I've become an avid reader of Guardians of Galaxy comics since the 1st movie. So, at first I turned into comic book guy complaining about how James Gunn had fracked up the story line of Peter Quill's father but I'm ok with James Gunn' direction on this. I really like Gunn's storyline about family. Notice how the Guardian's take care of Baby Groot. Notice the Gamora, Nebula interaction, Rocket's lines about how he was made, Drax remembering his family. Then the big arc of Peter's battle and relationship with Ego vs. Yondo. That great story telling by Gunn.

Mantis was fabulous; David Baptista as Drax is now the funniest actor in Hollywood. Kurt Russel as Ego was perfect choice. The final battle scene was too long. The celebration was too long (it reminded me of the final scenes in Lord of the Rings)

More
07 May 2017 03:34 - 07 May 2017 03:37 #247938 by Grudunza
I think Guardians 2 suffers from the worst kind of sequel issues, where it's all just more of the same, but doesn't feel nearly as fresh. Fun and amusing in parts, no doubt, and I agree that Bautista is killing it as Drax. But it seemed very weak to me in several ways, and even tedious at times, like with the sisters fighting each other and the ending sequence and numerous stingers. I mean, it's still an entertaining ride, but there was little that felt new or wondrous, which the first film had so much of.
Last edit: 07 May 2017 03:37 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
07 May 2017 09:49 #247940 by Colorcrayons
As long as it doesn't suffer from the in jokes during the sequel, like pirates of the carribean did with the rum, "Where's the rum!?!" (Haha its funny becauee pirates drink rum... *crickets chirp*) it shouldn't be too bad.

More
07 May 2017 10:16 #247943 by Mr. White
I was told Friday night that GotG2 is the worst of the Marvel films in regards to having so many drops and ties to other, and future, films. Is this true? Is this the _most_ commercial-like of the Marvel flicks?

Also, isn't there something like 9 credit scenes?

Uh....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 May 2017 10:21 #247944 by Grudunza

Mr. White wrote: I was told Friday night that GotG2 is the worst of the Marvel films in regards to having so many drops and ties to other, and future, films. Is this true? Is this the _most_ commercial-like of the Marvel flicks?

Also, isn't there something like 9 credit scenes?

Uh....

I counted five credit scenes. I don't recall many or any tie-in things, though, other than some obvious sequel things in those credit scenes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
07 May 2017 21:00 #247967 by Ancient_of_MuMu
It does have a tendency to think because you liked a joke in the first film, then we better do it 3 times in the sequel. For example there are numerous references to the post credits Groot dancing scene in the first film. As I said 2 weeks ago (no idea why Doctor Strange and then GotG2 were released 2 weeks early in Australia) I think the plot is better than the first film, but the timing jokes, etc, just work better in the first.

More
07 May 2017 23:06 #247971 by Shellhead
In anticipation of the sequel, I finally watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie last month. After all the hype, I was disappointed. It was mildly amusing but not laugh out loud funny. The action was okay. The story was thin. I'm a fan of Marvel's cosmic characters, but they didn't translate well to the big screen. So I will probably pass on the sequel for now and maybe watch it on dvd in a few years.

More
07 May 2017 23:36 #247972 by Msample

cranberries wrote: I watched Grosse Point Blank again last night. I was struck by all of the tiny little clever touches and the dialogue. Everyone drunk and worn out at the end of the reunion. Martin thanking his classmate for the pen he used to stab his would-be assassin in the throat. Kind of insane Minnie Driver. Kind of nuts Joan Cusack. Jeremy Pivens helping Martin put the body in the furnace, no questions asked. Wonderful sound track. The ending is a little too cute and sudden. Dan Akroyd, also insane. The detailed manner in which Martin nonchalantly assassinates people, and how it turns to brutality. Martin's insane mother. I still need to see the sequel.

There was a sequel?

More
08 May 2017 00:46 #247973 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Msample wrote:

cranberries wrote: I watched Grosse Point Blank again last night. I was struck by all of the tiny little clever touches and the dialogue. Everyone drunk and worn out at the end of the reunion. Martin thanking his classmate for the pen he used to stab his would-be assassin in the throat. Kind of insane Minnie Driver. Kind of nuts Joan Cusack. Jeremy Pivens helping Martin put the body in the furnace, no questions asked. Wonderful sound track. The ending is a little too cute and sudden. Dan Akroyd, also insane. The detailed manner in which Martin nonchalantly assassinates people, and how it turns to brutality. Martin's insane mother. I still need to see the sequel.

There was a sequel?

Sort of. War Inc ( www.imdb.com/title/tt0884224/ ) Same team of people and regarded as a spiritual successor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 May 2017 15:28 #247994 by jeb
Remember when the FURY ROAD trailer dropped and we all lost our minds and it was amazing and totally deserved. Well, here we go again, please and thank you:

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vlad

More
08 May 2017 16:06 #247995 by hotseatgames
That looks stylish as hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 May 2017 17:28 #248003 by Black Barney
Exactly
It does absolutely nothing for me and I was already actually bored watching this trailer so kudos for staying so true to the first one

I'm already thinking Ryan Gosling is an android
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 May 2017 17:38 #248004 by jeb
I rolled my eyes so hard at Barney's comment they popped out of my skull and rolled along the floor and became MARIO KART.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.908 seconds